SASS Wire Forum

How will you occupy yourself during the match hiatus?

Dusty Devil Dale

21 hours ago, Baltimore Ed said:

Been putting together a new rotary bolt pcc, it’s not cowboy but it is a .45. Yippee ki-yay. 

5CF49147-8DC2-4650-97CD-8A0D05A6C317.jpeg

I'd love to know more about the build I really like it!  I've got a 9MM PCC, so a .45 pistol would be a good companion.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

Over the last month I've played a lot of basketball with my two younger sons, done quite a bit of fishing, soaked up some rays (vitamin D is good for the immune system) and dropped about 6 pounds.  I'm in better shape now than I have been in years.

+++++++.! 

Tequila Shooter, thanks for the compliment. My pcc build uses the new cmmg Guard rotary .45 bcg and 8 in bbl. The upper is a dpms slabside, the lower is a CNC Enterprises dedicated greasegun mag. I’ve built several pcc’s with Olympic bcg/bbls but was really impressed with the cmmg rotary bolt to eliminate the need for the heavy bcg and buffer needed in a normal blowback .45. I did have to open the ejection port from .500 to .630 as I was having fte’s. Also had to break the bottom corner and polish the feed ramp as I was getting occasional feed jams but since I’ve broken the corner I’ve not had any. It uses a standard carbine buffer and spring. Only have fired about 100 rds so far. Playing with my loads, tried some target .45 yesterday which has eliminated the recoil and forward momentum. Might be my new loading. 

2D1AEEF8-0F59-4BAE-8B28-0C8DE2440780.jpeg

6 hours ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

The downside is that I've discovered I can no longer beat my 14 year old one on one.  He's my height now, with longer arms, infinite endurance, faster, can jump much higher and his mid-range shot is money. 

Experience & treachery can overcome youth!!! 

2 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Experience & treachery can overcome youth!!! 

I would have to 'body' him really hard, I have sixty pounds on him, even then......If I play him close outside he gets the rebound, if I back off he makes the shot.  Pick your poison.   He's got potential. I think he only missed twice yesterday when we played.

Reloaded a bunch in the first week. 

I just ordered a roll off dumpster. I'm gonna clean out the shed, my attic, the basement and my garage. It will take at least two weeks.

A couple of weeks ago, I pulled down an old rotted pine tree.  Last week I cut the lightered core into 1 foot sections.  So this morning, I practiced social distancing by chopping the lightered logs into kindlin' for this winter's fires.  I figure I saved about a dozen people by secluding myself up at Buzzard Hill.  I enjoyed the hell out of myself today.

I am starting to get all the things done that my wife bitches about I don't get done because I'm always shooting.

35 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

I would have to 'body' him really hard, I have sixty pounds on him, even then......If I play him close outside he gets the rebound, if I back off he makes the shot.  Pick your poison.   He's got potential. I think he only missed twice yesterday when we played.

Remember he is the younger version of the older slower you ......:lol:

I speak of this from firsthand knowledge :blush:

Pards,

I'm a brass hoarder.I never pass up free or cheap brass.

When I first started CAS,I bought a good supply of new colt brass,caught some more on sale later,traded for a bunch ,and I always buy brass back from the Boy Scouts when I shoot Winter Range.So Ive probably got a lifetime supply of. 45 Colt brass.When I started shooting C45s,I  bought new brass and have been cutting Colt down to Cowboy Special.I prefer Starline brass,so since I have the time and plenty of brass,I cut down my Winchester cases.

Plus its lots cheaper than buying new and I enjoy my time at the loading bench. 

Choctaw Jack 

I'm with ya there - I'm such a brass whore whoreder hoarder, I've been known to make .32 S&W Long from unusable .32-20 and .25-20. :lol:

2 hours ago, Choctaw Jack said:

Pards,

I'm a brass hoarder.I never pass up free or cheap brass.

When I first started CAS,I bought a good supply of new colt brass,caught some more on sale later,traded for a bunch ,and I always buy brass back from the Boy Scouts when I shoot Winter Range.So Ive probably got a lifetime supply of. 45 Colt brass.When I started shooting C45s,I  bought new brass and have been cutting Colt down to Cowboy Special.I prefer Starline brass,so since I have the time and plenty of brass,I cut down my Winchester cases.

Plus its lots cheaper than buying new and I enjoy my time at the loading bench. 

Choctaw Jack 

There is a certain level of satisfaction in using something that you have created. Sure it might be cheaper to buy it but making it yourself is priceless. Good for you.

ive accomplished a lot - wont bore with details , im looking at a lot more but i think it will be time well spent as i dont know when i might have had this time in regular life , it should open up some fun time in the future when we can all get together and carry on with our cowboy adventures 

Cleaned couple hundred rounds of 45 colt and have 500 rounds loaded. Cleaned 1000 rounds of 38sp and in process of loading them. Cleaned and oiled my Dillion. No more squirrels left in the yard hanging around my bird feeder. Time to reclean the safe weapons. May start to clean up the three work benches, but that sounds like work. 

Cleaned all the fired 38 SPL brass I had from before matches where halted.  Now in the process of loading them up in between honey-do projects.  Then I'll work on 45 Colt brass.

14 hours ago, Captain Clark said:

Remember he is the younger version of the older slower you ......:lol:

I speak of this from firsthand knowledge :blush:

Obviously I'm biased, but he's way beyond where I was.  At 14 I was about 5'6" and had never played a game of basketball.  He's 6' tall, a full shoe size bigger than me, and has been playing for about 5 years now.   If I could just get him to lift weights and eat right.  He only weighs 125 lbs.

Alas, this home confinement has hit at garden prep season. I thought my days would be filled with blissful days of wood working, reloading, cleaning and rearranging the shop, trimming .45 Colt cases to .45 Cowboy and lots of other interesting and fun things, BUT Mrs. Lose wants her garden to produce produce that we eat and not the squirrels, rats, possums, etc.. so I was tasked with building pest proof enclosures for her garden. Built the first one yesterday and got her approval so now I have about a dozen more to build.:(.

Putting together gear and supplies for reloading 45-70 black powder rounds for my Pedersoli sharps, I don’t have a lot of room in my beach condo but I got creative and figured out a way to clamp a single stage press to an old dresser in the spare bedroom. I’ll be able to use the press for reloading and then break the gear down for storage between each use.

Last Saturday I went to one of the local essential businesses and acquired something from my wish list, a CZ 75 compact.

lRWOkRe.jpg

Wednesday I installed a trigger kit from a local supplier. Wood grips should arrive today.

1 hour ago, Wade Fargo said:

Last Saturday I went to one of the local essential businesses and acquired something from my wish list, a CZ 75 compact.

lRWOkRe.jpg

Wednesday I installed a trigger kit from a local supplier. Wood grips should arrive today.

You're going to love shooting the CZ.  Mine is extremely accurate.  But why did you want to change out the trigger?  Mine has an  incredibly  nice pull and great feel.  It's by far the most accurate semi I've ever owned, including a couple Kimbers and Competition grade Glocks.  The weight of the steel frame makes it hard to conceal, but that weight is wonderful stabilization during rapid shooting.  I get very little muzzle flip.  

1 hour ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

You're going to love shooting the CZ.  Mine is extremely accurate.  But why did you want to change out the trigger?  Mine has an  incredibly  nice pull and great feel.  It's by far the most accurate semi I've ever owned, including a couple Kimbers and Competition grade Glocks.  The weight of the steel frame makes it hard to conceal, but that weight is wonderful stabilization during rapid shooting.  I get very little muzzle flip.  

It did have a very nice trigger, I didn’t change it out, just springs and better pins. Why? Double action average before was 10.8 pounds, now it’s 5.16 pounds, single action was 5.6 pounds, now it’s 2.49. Less travel, cleaner break, better reset. That’s with no polishing, all for a $18.95 spring kit, a $12.95 floating trigger pin and my time.

Imagine your trigger pull but with a shorter and lighter pull.

21 minutes ago, Wade Fargo said:

It did have a very nice trigger, I didn’t change it out, just springs and better pins. Why? Double action average before was 10.8 pounds, now it’s 5.16 pounds, single action was 5.6 pounds, now it’s 2.49. Less travel, cleaner break, better reset. That’s with no polishing, all for a $18.95 spring kit, a $12.95 floating trigger pin and my time.

Imagine your trigger pull but with a shorter and lighter pull.

OK, you definitely hooked me.  Is that kit generally available, and where/how?   

Thx in advance! 

4 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

Alas, this home confinement has hit at garden prep season. I thought my days would be filled with blissful days of wood working, reloading, cleaning and rearranging the shop, trimming .45 Colt cases to .45 Cowboy and lots of other interesting and fun things, BUT Mrs. Lose wants her garden to produce produce that we eat and not the squirrels, rats, possums, etc.. so I was tasked with building pest proof enclosures for her garden. Built the first one yesterday and got her approval so now I have about a dozen more to build.:(.

Do they have roll tops!:lol:

37 minutes ago, Injun Ryder, SASS #36201L said:

Do they have roll tops!:lol:

Lift offs.

1 hour ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

OK, you definitely hooked me.  Is that kit generally available, and where/how?   

Thx in advance! 

Yes, PM sent 

Decided to drag everything out of the safes, make an accurate list of what I actually have. 
got the pocket pistols done

5EDAD87F-1ED0-4ADC-9F90-BA9FDB78D505.jpeg

I am dry firing thousands of rounds, loading ammunition, squaring away my gun cart, shooting .22s and hoping for the best.

Archived