SASS Wire Forum

How will you occupy yourself during the match hiatus?

Dusty Devil Dale

On 3/25/2020 at 6:01 PM, Hendo said:

I had to cough in the checkout line the other day. (Hey, it happens)

People looked at me in horror, so I held up a cigarette pack and said "It's ok, I'm a smoker."

Never thought I would see people in California be relieved to see someone smoke. :lol:

Relax kids, it's a joke.

Sounds like a good way to clear out a long grocery cashier line. 

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply
56 minutes ago, watab kid said:

guess im gonna find out - i just got told to stay home from work , got a long list to start on of stuff that i been puttin off 

Good luck on the job part.  

On ‎3‎/‎25‎/‎2020 at 6:01 PM, Hendo said:

I had to cough in the checkout line the other day. (Hey, it happens)

People looked at me in horror, so I held up a cigarette pack and said "It's ok, I'm a smoker."

Never thought I would see people in California be relieved to see someone smoke. :lol:

Relax kids, it's a joke.

I should have gone the the grocery Tuesday when I had "faucet nose." I felt really sick though. It was gone Wednesday. Go figure. Must have been allergies.

I bought a couple Umarex Colt Peacemaker BB/Pellet pistols and a Umarex Winchester M1894 rifle and shoot in my backyard at a trap.  The guns are very realistic replicas of the actual firearms, and even use cartridges.  The 1894 even throws the cartridges all over the place, just like the real one :-).  You can purchase additional cartridges from Amazon or Umarex.  The brass colored cartridges are for .177 BBs, and the Chrome colored cartridges are for .177 pellets.  All use CO2 cartridges - the rifle requires two.  I find that I can get 60 shots from the CO2 cartridges, and when they get depleted to the point that they can't shoot a projectile, they don't have a "squib" fire, so no issue with an obstructed bore.  There are lots of videos on them on YouTube.

As an aside, Umarex also makes a very realistic replica of the Ruger 10/22 under license from Ruger.

I’ve spent the last 2 days trying to clean up my shop/barn so that I can do something out there.. Maybe tomorrow I’ll have it where I want it. Got a few things cleaned off, next thing will be my mini mill and drill press. I just bought a bunch of bench tools and am trying to get them installed. 

Still cleaning things up. A friend gave me a big bunch of old plastic mystery shotgun reloads that he started disassembling and I’m finishing. I will reuse the shot and wads, deprime and my next brush pile burn I’ll burn the hulls up to get the brass bases. Threw some more stuff out too. 

thanks 3D im not going to panic , thats what has caused all this turmoil to start with , just stay optimistic in spirit and positive in mindset , life is good , this too shall pass , i have my health and i need to clean some guns - now i have time too :>}

It's unfortunate that not only are we dealing with the zombie apocalypse - many of us now have our backs to the wall with no escape...

...the "honey do" list is nothing like COVID-19

Honey-Do - the media hasn't started to hype the crisis but it's only a matter of time.   The HoneyDo-20 crisis has come home to roost.

On 3/20/2020 at 7:35 AM, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Practicing some with my Colt bb gun right in the basement. I have gone to the indoor range a few times also. I am also dry firing with snap caps at the TV bad guys!!;)

IMG_1605.JPG

We could start a postal match similar to the what NMLRA does and limit it to 1 target pistol and 1 target rifle. The TGs can specify the targets used and the distance. Just me 2 cents.  The Neptune Kid

Well i'm all caught up with the chores including building that doghouse. I never did have to move in to it. However i'm still on the losing end of the entire deal. I showed her the pistols I picked up and now she's thinking she likes them better than her man with no name lol. 

On another note I got some loading done. I'm out of 45 brass to load, i'm out of 44/40 brass to load, still have about a thousand 38's that I could load but somehow all my small pistol primers turned into large pistol primers in the hazmat locker. :blink:

32 minutes ago, Matthew Duncan said:

I going to use the time to organize the wife's kitchen...

Smart man! 

Happy wife, more goodies, one more thing on the HDL checked off, household construction costs in which to disguise that new XL 750 purchase, and more flexibility for you when shooting returns.  

On 3/20/2020 at 11:07 AM, Dusty Devil Dale said:

++++ Last time I checked, work was still quite an honorable use of a person's  time.  

Actually, WORK is a four letter word.

(Says the Kid who has been retired for 20+ years)

Hiking with SASS Kicker!!!!!

5 hours ago, Matthew Duncan said:

I going to use the time to organize the wife's kitchen...

:o

4 hours ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

Smart man! 

Happy wife, more goodies, one more thing on the HDL checked off, household construction costs in which to disguise that new XL 750 purchase, and more flexibility for you when shooting returns.  

:wacko:

4 hours ago, Turkey Flats Jack said:

I do believe that would get me shot

:)

;):lol:

On 3/24/2020 at 8:16 AM, Yul Lose said:

I’ve discovered 5-6,000 .45 Colt cases buried in my reloading room that I’m going to cut down to .45 Cowboy. Built a jig to trim them close on the bandsaw and then I’ll  finish them up on the Forster case trimmer. That ought to take a day or two.

Yul, Harbor Freight sells a pretty neat mini chop saw that works really well. I used it to cut down 45-70 to 45-60. 

https://www.bittychoice.com/products/mini-bench-cut-off-saw-steel-blade-cutting-metal-wood-plastic-adjust-miter-gauge-for-diy-working?variant=31486318182496&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Google Shopping&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2srol-7F6AIVidlkCh0RtA3hEAQYASABEgIGZvD_BwE

15CAE394-19BD-43FD-B01B-0032F30ECDB2.jpeg

20 minutes ago, Injun Ryder, SASS #36201L said:

Took a look and saw this! That was fast Yul.

image.png.4d53ed655bc49462100a7eff291fe658.png

Yep.

Yul,

I use the mini chop saw that Hoss referenced to cut 45 colt to C45s.I made a length gauge out of some 1/2 inch aluminum channel by cutting a groove wide enough to accommodate the cases's rim and just deep enough  that the case lays flat in the channel.Lock it down in the clamp on the bed of the saw and you're  in business.You can cut a bunch of cases in very little time.

I saved a few pieces of brass with mouth splits to cut down to C45S, but the case gets so thick, I didn't think it would work and never tried it. Apparently they work? Or are you turning/reaming the case neck or something?

Three Foot,

I run my brass through a 45 Colt size die before I cut it.Once it's  cut I use a Lee trimmer to cut it to 45 acp length.Occaisionally have a tight case but usually  no problems.

Choctaw Jack 

1 hour ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

I saved a few pieces of brass with mouth splits to cut down to C45S, but the case gets so thick, I didn't think it would work and never tried it. Apparently they work? Or are you turning/reaming the case neck or something?

Cut and trim BEFORE you resize your fired brass! I’ve done probably a thousand cases with almost zero problems. You will find no need to ream or any such extra effort! A 45 Colt case cut to .898  is on average about a half thousandths thicker, if any, at the mouth than full length 45 Colt case mouth thickness. New Starline C45S cases are often thicker at the mouth than cut downs made from various major manufactures brass.
There are some “ junk” off brands of brass that will give you fits and aren’t worth the effort and aggravation! The same manufactures that are known for loose QC such as primer pocket abnormalities are best avoided.
( CBC ) headstamp is one that is of wildly erratic quality IMO.

Theres really no magic to turning 45 Colt to C45S cases,  just prep, cut, trim, chamfer the cases correctly the 1st time and you won’t be able to tell them apart from the factory Starline product in your loader or guns! :)

Captain,

I use Winchester brass to cut down for C45s.I agree,Starline is a little thicker and takes more effort to work.I save the Starline for my 45 Colt rounds.

Why take all the time & effort to cut down & trim .45 Colt brass instead of just buying C45S brass?

500 pieces of C45S only costs $14 more than 500 pieces of .45 Colt. Unless Winchester brass is a lot cheaper...?

5 hours ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

Why take all the time & effort to cut down & trim .45 Colt brass instead of just buying C45S brass?

500 pieces of C45S only costs $14 more than 500 pieces of .45 Colt. Unless Winchester brass is a lot cheaper...?

Maybe he is like me and has 10 gallons of 45 Colt brass already.

kR

I bought 500 pieces of C45S back when the lady in Texas (can't remember her alias) was selling them. Then the brand changed to some outfit that wanted to sell loaded ammo and the supply dried up.  The lady in Texas sold me 500 more pieces from her private stock. I felt really smug and giggly having an extra 500 when none could be had.  Then Starline took over the headstamp and put them on the market everywhere.  And at half the price I paid for the first two batches.  I still have the 500 second batch in the bag. Still trying to use up the first 500.  I probably have 400 of the 500. I was thinking of getting out the 500 just to load. But I have all the old brass loaded and plenty of everything else. 

Archived