SASS Wire Forum

How will you occupy yourself during the match hiatus?

Dusty Devil Dale

Spend most of my time catching up on my long range pistol shooting with the T/C Contender and Encore at the family range.  Done with the 22-250, .223 and .22 Hornet.  Next on the list is 30-06, 7 MM TCU and .30 Carbine.  Six more barrels to go if time remaining.  I am going to pass on the 45-70 this time around.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just finished rebuilding my 3-pt post hole digger... new 9" auger, bearings & seals.  Gotta wait for it dry up some before I start setting new corner posts!

Two of the shooting ranges I use are closed due to the virus and two are open.  I can shoot long range and self-service clays all I want.  I'm not just staying home and doing household chores.

Both my kids are now online students due to their schools closing, so now I have even more homework to help them with! But I don't have to drive my daughter to school, and they gym is closed also, so I have managed to cleanup my casting area and my garage so that I don't trip over everything every time I do something. Been running with the dog more also, so that is good. And just in general catching up on my backlog of work. Put in tomatoes, peppers, squash and zucchini in the garden yesterday. Hopefully this week I can install new tires on the sidecar rig, been meaning to do that but haven't had the time.

22 hours ago, Sawyer said:

I am going to spend the entire time worrying about what kind of shoes and boots people are wearing!

Let's hope the duration is brief. 

Well, it looks like I'm stripping the shellac off my Model P grips and staining them in a different color. Minwax Espresso is catching my fancy. We'll see. 

Yeah, I finished reloading all the cowboy brass I had. I'm gonna move on to .45 ACP. The problem with that is that I want to try some new loads, but the neighbors get testy if I try that at home. :lol:

Apparently I have a slight change of plans. Still got chores but she added building a doghouse and moving into it for a couple weeks since I decided to pick up a pair of pistols on my way home from work Thursday lol. 

Reloaded for the 2020 season back in November.  Now what....

Studied for three days to ungrade my HAM radio license to General.  Been thirty years since I've been on the air.  Took the test at a retirement home just before they went into lock down.  Passed.

Fired up the Kenwood 520s and strung a inverted V for an antenna.  I can receive but the radio will not transmit, unable to tune it.  Ordered a new radio to replace it.

Figured out how to Program a Baofeng $30 2-meter handheld.  I got a decent report from the Elkhart repeater.  

Bought and installed a Baofeng 25 watt mobile radio as a 2-meter base station.  Pain to program, I bring it into the den where the computer is along with a 12vdc power supply.

UPS delivered the back ordered replacement radio for the 520S late yesterday.  I got it unpacked before heading for bed.

Today the wife volunteered me to clean out a house attic.  House is being sold and the owner hired her to clean the house.  She's afraid of heights, dark places and attics.  Then I'm planning on doing a recon trip while I'm in town.  Hopefully I'll get home in time to wire the power to the new radio so I can play with the controls!

Tomorrow it's clean out the chicken coop day.  Carry the poop from the coop (that rhymes) to the wifes garden.  Then cut wood for a FIFO canned food pantry rack I design.  It will hang on the back side of the washroom closet door.

Thursday and Friday assemble (glue and screw) FIFO pantry together.

Saturday get caught up on any naps I may have missed.

Sunday church via YouTube live.  Play with the new radio, see if I can make any DX contacts.

I’ve discovered 5-6,000 .45 Colt cases buried in my reloading room that I’m going to cut down to .45 Cowboy. Built a jig to trim them close on the bandsaw and then I’ll  finish them up on the Forster case trimmer. That ought to take a day or two.

Aside from everything else, I've watched Hondo and Top Gun three times...on cable! Or at least they have been on that often!  I'm still not sure how Goose got killed when the canopy dished.  Unless he was just too tall, IIRC, the seats were designed so the headrests could break the canopy even if it failed to jettison.  I guess it could have something to do with the slipstream in the event of a flat spin.   The F-5's made commendable "MiG's,.     

5 hours ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

If today is any sign of the future, I will be sneezing and blowing my nose. Those are my only symptoms. Could be allergies or a cold.

I resemble that remark!   Cedar pollin is kicking my butt now but soon will be oak pollin then on and on until winter again.  I have to get out but I suffer.  

8 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

I resemble that remark!   Cedar pollin is kicking my butt now but soon will be oak pollin then on and on until winter again.  I have to get out but I suffer.  

These days, when I sneeze from my many allergies, everyone nearby takes off running, holding a mask over their face. 

I hope we get past this pretty soon. 

I've loaded about all I can load, welded about all I can weld, sawed and split about all the dry firewood I can find, and eaten waaaaay too much.   I'm out of materials, ice cream, - - - - and patience.  

DDD

One way to spend a lot of this "matchless" time would be to post on the "footwear-ROC" post. You could spend days arguing your opinion and telling others they are wrong.^_^

10 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

If the weather clears,  I'm digging out the chainsaw and taking the Mule around all the trails on the farm and clearing up the deadfall and face slapping limbs.  Getting ready for mushroom season. 

Here's a little logger trick, to make your chainsaw start more easily, especially during cold or damp weather.  Each time you shut it off and while the engine is still warm, pull it gently up on its compression stroke to seal moisture out of the cylinder, and fill the fuel tank to eliminate condensation in the tank.  Try it.  You'll be surprised at the difference. 

10 hours ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

These days, when I sneeze from my many allergies, everyone nearby takes off running, holding a mask over their face. 

I had to cough in the checkout line the other day. (Hey, it happens)

People looked at me in horror, so I held up a cigarette pack and said "It's ok, I'm a smoker."

Never thought I would see people in California be relieved to see someone smoke. :lol:

Relax kids, it's a joke.

Archived