SASS Wire Forum

How will you occupy yourself during the match hiatus?

Dusty Devil Dale

Actually, now that I've dreamed long enough for reality to hit, I think I am likely to do whatever she puts on my HDL.  If there's a little time left over, I can reload a few rounds or go practice.  

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Exploring the vast Arizona desert in my side x side and shooting Coyotes along the way. I have lots of half finished projects -

Maybe I can get them to 3/4 finished. Lol -Lots of practice at Cowtown and of course reload then reload. 

Installing Super Blackhawk hammers and spring kits into my Vaqueros. I’m no gunsmith, so hopefully I’ll finish by the time things are back to normal.

Spend time on the computer trying to get an appointment at DMV that is sooner than 6/8 and 93 miles away. My DL expires almost three months earlier than that and the offices are closed to walk ins. I'm trying 18 offices that range from 21 to 93 miles. The DMV agent assured me that cancelations are real time updates.

My local insurance said I would be uninsured after May 20 when they pull my upcoming policy for verification of eligibility. Corporate assured me I would be covered through the DMV extension until May 16.

It's a beautiful sunny day for a refreshing change.   I went for a walk to two of my trail cams.   I took a meandering route looking for deer sheds.  Despite being in the 30s, I did work up a sweat.  It felt good being out.   I got to thinking about my 44 bullet inventory.   When I got back I turned on the lead pot.  But when I went to get the mold, I thought to double check my inventory.   I found another box.  As I most of 500 rounds loaded and bullets enough to load over 500 more,  I decided to turn off the pot and just take a nap.

3 hours ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

I've heard being retired can be like having two full time jobs.

No more Saturdays or Sundays after retirement.  Every day became a work day.  But the work schedule is my schedule instead of somebody else's (except when my wife interrupts things).  It's great!  

I started restoring a 1915 Remington Model 12C .22 rifle that I acquired from my dad. It was in really bad shape. Probably sat in a barn for years. Stock was broken off, breech block broke and pieces and screws missing as well as a rusty barrel. The good news is Numrich has all the parts I need, The bad news is they shut down for the COVID 19 crisis and won't ship until it eases. So I have been cleaning and polishing, etc. until the weather breaks.

I will go out to the wood shop and make some more high quality persision saw dust,  then come back in the house and Chase the wife around trying to get lucky, when that fails,   it's back to the wood shop and more saw dust.  

Mowed down the winter weeds yesterday. Been reloading 250 x .38s as I was completely out. Mailman brought me 200 pcs of used  .45 schofield today so I’ll start on them next. Also need to get back on my rifle builds and ‘06 reloads. 

On 3/20/2020 at 6:35 AM, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Practicing some with my Colt bb gun right in the basement. I have gone to the indoor range a few times also. I am also dry firing with snap caps at the TV bad guys!!;)

IMG_1605.JPG

I am using my Colt pistol in the garage and still awaiting the return of my faithful Daisy Carbine that I have sent of for some good old fixings.

Will keep you all informed and will add some photos upon arrival. Yeeeh, Haa until then.  My Colt is like the above belonging to Rye Miles. Its a dandy to shoot.

JRJ

".....Our local shooting range just announced that it will be closed pursuant to the governors ban on public gatherings...." 

ours too - there went my part time job , but still gainfully employed at the primary FT so i will do that and home projects on the off time . 

My wife is an incredible quilter and loves to sew, (and has made me some wonderful cowboy shirts). We decided to team up and put our time toward making a bunch of face masks for our local hospital. Here are a few samples (the one in the foreground with western motif is for me).

RR

face masks.jpg

I havn't touched a welder in over 50 years and I was purdy good at it way back when.............

So I went out & bought me one a them Fancy Little MIG Wire Feed Inverter Welders & I been out in the shop Laying Down Beads.

The first ones were Real Ugly, But they're lookin' better now.......

Next is to find Sumpin that actually Needs welding.... Mebe I'll build me a Go-Kart 'r Sumpin :D

On 3/19/2020 at 9:24 PM, Dusty Devil Dale said:

So OK, many matches are now canceled or delayed and many of us are "sheltering at home" for an undetermined time.   Do you have any plans for how to use that time to  stay up on the CAS game and keep from getting out of shape? 

For me it's going to include some needed gun upgrades, repairs and deep cleaning, minor cart repairs, repairs on targets and props at our range, and practice--reload--practice--reload, etc.     So far we are lucky, our range is remaining open for individual practice.   

Anybody have other suggestions? 

How many of our SASS people become new parents in about 9 or 10 months....

Texas Lizard

2 hours ago, Silver Sam, SASS #34718L said:

I havn't touched a welder in over 50 years and I was purdy good at it way back when.............

So I went out & bought me one a them Fancy Little MIG Wire Feed Inverter Welders & I been out in the shop Laying Down Beads.

The first ones were Real Ugly, But they're lookin' better now.......

Next is to find Sumpin that actually Needs welding.... Mebe I'll build me a Go-Kart 'r Sumpin :D

I've been working on a hydraulic cedar fence rail splitter to run off of one of my skid steer track loaders.  Fun project.  

2 minutes ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

I've been working on a hydraulic cedar fence rail splitter to run off of one of my skid steer track loaders.  Fun project.  

I guess we are still up....Think I will finish my night cap and call it a day...

Texas Lizard

"...How many of our SASS people become new parents in about 9 or 10 months...."

been wonderin on that as well , we have the second baby boom looming out there .........im too old so i wont be playin , but its crossed my mind of all thos younger ones 

23 minutes ago, watab kid said:

"...How many of our SASS people become new parents in about 9 or 10 months...."

been wonderin on that as well , we have the second baby boom looming out there .........im too old so i wont be playin , but its crossed my mind of all thos younger ones 

Don't give up...Never know what might be left.....

Texas Lizard

I've been learning how to turn segmented bowls on the lathe.  Takes a lot of time to cut all those little pieces of wood and glue them together.  Fortunately, it looks like I'm going to have lots of time.    Guess what everybody is getting for Christmas next year.

IMG_2447.JPG

2 minutes ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

I've been learning how to turn segmented bowls on the lathe.  Takes a lot of time to cut all those little pieces of wood and glue them together.  Fortunately, it looks like I'm going to have lots of time.    Guess what everybody is getting for Christmas next year.

IMG_2447.JPG

That is a BIG honking bowl!  I'm thinking you gotta swivel the drive head around and to it outboard.  I tried a bowl on my lathe years ago, never really got into it.  Have done some spindles and a ton of pens and pencils, but never got bit by the turning bug.

1 minute ago, Grizzly Dave said:

That is a BIG honking bowl!  I'm thinking you gotta swivel the drive head around and to it outboard.  I tried a bowl on my lathe years ago, never really got into it.  Have done some spindles and a ton of pens and pencils, but never got bit by the turning bug.

I've got a rather large wood lathe.  22" swing and 3 hp.   A bowl this size doesn't even make it sweat.  I got into turning last year as a hobby.  It has taken on a life of its own.

Badlands Bob... NICE WORK!!  What kind of lathe are you working on?

RR

A few days back I used the Lyman 450 to lube a few bullets with Javelina bullet lube and Grafs FFg to test in my old Colt Frontier Six Shooter .  The lube worked fine.  So today I lubed up a batch.  I put the Lyman 450 on hearth in front of the wood stove to warm for about an hour.  The lube flowed ok for a bit but then got stiff.  I got out my heat gun and warmed it again.  Not the best heat control as it got too warm and lube a but too soft.  But it wasn't long before it cooled to just right.

The exercise took me back to my early years when I cast, lubed and sized thousands of bullets.  

So far have made 3 of these long gun racks for our range. Who knows what comes next. 

39778A78-4753-4DA5-AE11-AC8C4745999F.jpeg

D897E28D-9CBE-41D1-B9AA-3E5574E2E2C3.jpeg

Archived