SASS Wire Forum

How will you occupy yourself during the match hiatus?

Dusty Devil Dale

So OK, many matches are now canceled or delayed and many of us are "sheltering at home" for an undetermined time.   Do you have any plans for how to use that time to  stay up on the CAS game and keep from getting out of shape? 

For me it's going to include some needed gun upgrades, repairs and deep cleaning, minor cart repairs, repairs on targets and props at our range, and practice--reload--practice--reload, etc.     So far we are lucky, our range is remaining open for individual practice.   

Anybody have other suggestions? 

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I'm burning up some powder to make up for what TFJ isn't doing..... :D

Actually, with the nice weather we are having here in E.TN, I'm riding my ATV back out on the farm and shooting

a few .22 pistols to get those winter cobwebs out of them.

Right now, I'm trying to dirty up a Ruger MK IV conversion Volquartsen Scorpion and S&W model 41.

The Scorpion loves CCI Blazer, Standard and Mini-mag fodder.

The S&W model 41 loves the CCI Stinger but will not reliable run on Blazer ammo.  But it does love

the Standard Velocity stuff, along with Mini-mag, etc.....

Doing A LOT of .357 SIG and 10mm reloading.

..........Widder

Reloading , practicing on my cowboy range, working on some really accurate black powder long range loads for my Sharps rifles, turkey hunting when the season opens, hanging out with the grandkids as much as possible and praying that this virus will turn the corner and head downhill fast.   SCJ

I’m down with bronchitis right now but when I’m feeling better I have two small projects and a cart to finish and then I’ll start on a cart I’ve been thinking about and designing in my head for a couple of years. I’ve got 300-400 bft of lumber stashed so lumber won’t be an issue..

First, I have lots of Spring gardening tasks to complete.  Next some auto maintenance.  Then I bought some new bullet molds and will do some casting.  My local range is an outdoor rec site and not affected by current proclamations so I will shoot some long range.  Inside I have plenty of reloading to do.

There's fence that needs to be ran and gates that need to be hung. I need to build a new milking/shelter barn if the rain ever stops long enough for the ground to firm up. The fields are plowed, but again they're waterlogged and so we can't plant. We need a new enclosed chicken run so that's a possibility as well.  My tractor still needs some maintenance done (points and a radiator swap) and our well pump needs some maintenance as well.

My regular 40hr isn't effected so I am still blessed with that. The kids are homeschooled so momma needs time off too so I make sure she has some down time to decompress and unwind. Add to that there's Spring Rio Grande Turkey season starting in two weeks and those song dogs near the farm are still wanting an invitation to a dirt nap.

Just a continuation of winter.  I've been wanting to get out and shoot my old Colt Frontier Six Shooter with black powder and bullets I'd lubed with Javelina bullet lube.   But we've had thunderstorms, rain and high winds all week. Then this morning the temperature has dropped 20 degrees since 5:00am and wind is out of the north at 20 mph. 

6 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

Just a continuation of winter.  I've been wanting to get out and shoot my old Colt Frontier Six Shooter with black powder and bullets I'd lubed with Javelina bullet lube.   But we've had thunderstorms, rain and high winds all week. Then this morning the temperature has dropped 20 degrees since 5:00am and wind is out of the north at 20 mph. 

We have the same weather happening here. 

There's plenty to do .....

OLG 

Practicing some with my Colt bb gun right in the basement. I have gone to the indoor range a few times also. I am also dry firing with snap caps at the TV bad guys!!;)

IMG_1605.JPG

It's time to clear off my fancy workbench/storage area commonly known as a boat and get ready to catch crappies and perch. It's been severely neglected since I started into this cowboy life.

I'll go to work more.

Seriously, I will. No matches = no vacation hours on matches= more time at work.

8 minutes ago, Dantankerous said:

I'll go to work more.

Seriously, I will. No matches = no vacation hours on matches= more time at work.

++++ Last time I checked, work was still quite an honorable use of a person's  time.  

8 minutes ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

++++ Last time I checked, work was still quite an honorable use of a person's  time.  

And right now, I am happy to have gainful employment. I am NOT complaining. :D Paychecks have suddenly become quite valuable.

My work load has blown up.   We basically took our entire company online in a week.  Now I'm riding herd on a bunch of tutors who are teaching individuals and classes online rather than in person.  Once that calms down I'll probably reload more, deep clean all our guns, and try to catch some bass.

Longer working hours here too.  Super busy with the recent developments.  I have worked from home for over a decade, so nothing new being stuck at home for extended periods of time.  Had some vacation planned for annual matches, but those have been cancelled.

Totes

Our local shooting range just announced that it will be closed pursuant to the governors ban on public gatherings.

I'm lucky that I live in the middle of hundreds of thousands of acres of public lands.Might have to find a secluded box canyon to try out some new C45s loads in.

2 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Practicing some with my Colt bb gun right in the basement. I have gone to the indoor range a few times also. I am also dry firing with snap caps at the TV bad guys!!;)

IMG_1605.JPG

2 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

I just couldn't stand it.  I bundled up and took my Six Shooter out and blasted away 15 rounds (all the brass I have that's not already loaded).   Those 2.3cc loads of FFg 200g bullet are stout!   I came in and loaded up again with 1.6cc and a 1/8" felt wad for filler.  Much more pleasant and still pleanty of smack.  I'm waiting for the Lyman 450 lube-sizer to warm up to lube some more bullets. If you're going to shoot a few black powder loads, may as well shoot a bunch.

I'm working on my Issac Haynes 54 cal. flintlock from a Jim Chambers kit. Kit is a bit erroneous, it's more like a box of parts with no instruction! I've built some furniture, but this is a whole new ball game!

Finished reloading, so clean guns.

Set up a couple of tables in the garage, put on rig and work on gun handling and transitions for both CAS and WB.

Read, watch movies. Since there's no racing, watch racing movies: LeMans, Ford v Ferrari, Secretariat...

Whatever else comes to mind...:unsure:

:FlagAm:

Building new targets systems.

2 hours ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

You may want those squirrels later! I've heard they taste like chicken.

Haha, My buddy from Tennessee keeps trying to get my to cook em up.

Dang fuzzy-tailed rats

12 minutes ago, The Rainmaker, SASS #11631 said:

Dang fuzzy-tailed rats

Yep, they're just half a grade up from a possum.

2 hours ago, The Rainmaker, SASS #11631 said:

Dang fuzzy-tailed rats

Not as good as cottontails, but better than possum.

Archived