SASS Wire Forum

Prepping/stockpiling

Bing O

Ive been to the grocery store a couple times since the beginning of the end of the world. if you havent I'm sure you've heard the toilet paper and bread  stocks are entirely wiped. Im not sure what all of these people are prepping for, things that I went to the store for were, for the most part, completely stocked. Just because everybody else is buying something doesnt mean that's what you need.

Things I'd recommend...

Non perishables, beans, protein bars, rice, canned goods.

Vitamin C, emergen-C

Fever reducers such as advil, tylenol, motrin, etc.

Maybe a thermometer if you dont have one (probably should check)

Pedialyte powder or bottles (if you do get sick this is very important) gatorade

Theraflu (this was completely stocked)

Mucinex, cough drops, tea, and honey.

Probably could use a gun and ammo if you're into that sort of thing. 

Stay healthy my friends

-Bing O

I would add broth. 

For some reason I have 9 places in my town to buy food, no canned corn or tp in any of them. 

Every store had broth. 

Always have on hand. For thickening sauces. Making soup or making soup go farther. 

On Top of that great if you are sick. Most people still can hold down broth. 

We won't starve. I buy pearl rice in 50 pound bags at Costco. The last time I went, it was already on my list. We use a bag about every two years. I also have some pasta and long-grain rice. I always have this amount.

We could survive rice and beans, I bought a carton (12 cans) time before that. I always buy stuff like that at Costco. I also have new cartons (short a few cans) of Bush's beans, tomato sauce and tomato soup with sweet red peppers. It would be, hmmm, three months before we got desperate.

It might not be tasty ; but if the SHTF, we are okay. Until then, I'll just buy what I need as I need it.

I had to go to four places to find Thera-Flu.  

Other things to have on hand - cornmeal, flour, vinegar, shortening or lard, powdered soup base - I think well of the Orrington Farms stuff as it seems less salty than most.  Better Than Bouillon paste is good, but should be refrigerated after opening.  Cocoa powder - a touch in a pot of chili gives a nice richness to it.  
Don't neglect seasonings. Lawry's Mediterranean Seasoning blend, chili powder, taco seasoning mix, and an Italian Seasoning blend at minimum. A little goes a long way.  For other spices, I like to add a pinch of allspice to the batter for cornmeal pancakes or cornbread. 

ADDED:

Dried garbanzos!  And lemon POWDER.  Also garlic.  Chickpeas are very useful.  Dried they can be ground up and used to make falafel , cooked and pounded to a paste and seasoned you have hummus.  

Bouillon cubes - soup

Sugar, Salt, Pepper - trade items. Everybody forgets these items for long term use / storage. 

Also, Allie makes a great point. Rice, beans, pasta, flour, etc...any dry goods can be stored in 5 gallon buckets and use Gamma Seals (Home Depot / Lowe’s) to keep them air tight and sealed. Either buy some oxygen absorbing packs or drop in some dry ice. Fill the bucket with the dry goods or bags of dry goods. Wait for the dry ice to melt / evaporate a bit pushing the oxygen out of the bucket then use the gamma seal. Snap it on and make sure the twist off lid is tight. I stored rice and beans for over 10 years this way and it was just fine. 

4 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Cocoa powder - a touch in a pot of chili gives a nice richness to it. 

This sounds like a great idea. Thanks Joe. 

2 minutes ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

PS We have a plethora of deer (first choice for taste, last for eating) and turkey

A decent air rifle, preferably with a scope, and you can take turkey with head shots.  Air rifles are also useful for small game like rabbits and squirrels.  Inexpensive, low volume ammo.  

3 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Bouillon cubes - soup

Sugar, Salt, Pepper - trade items. Everybody forgets these items for long term use / storage. 

Also, Allie makes a great point. Rice, beans, pasta, flour, etc...any dry goods can be stored in 5 gallon buckets and use Gamma Seals (Home Depot / Lowe’s) to keep them air tight and sealed. Either buy some oxygen absorbing packs or drop in some dry ice. Fill the bucket with the dry goods or bags of dry goods. Wait for the dry ice to melt / evaporate a bit pushing the oxygen out of the bucket then use the gamma seal. Snap it on and make sure the twist off lid is tight. I stored rice and beans for over 10 years this way and it was just fine. 

About the rice, 50 pounds may be heavy but it doesn't take up much room. I leave it in the bag and put that in a plastic tub on wheels. Since, we moved here, I started doing that and haven't had any taste off or make us sick. God forbid I run out of salt. Better put that on the list. :lol:

I just Googled "what foods can last forever. These were listed:

1. Apple Cider Vinegar. This kitchen staple has many health benefits and will last indefinitely as long as you keep it sealed.
  2. Bouillon Cubes. As long as you keep these dry, they should remain stable indefinitely. ...
  3. Corn Starch. ...
  4. Corn Syrup. ...
  5. Ghee. ...
  6. Hard Liquor. ...
  7. Hardtack. ...
  8. Honey.
  9. Maple Syrup
  10. Salt
  11. Soy Sauce
  12. Sugar
  13. Vanilla Extract
  14. White Rice
  15. White Vinegar

See this site for caveats and storage requirements. https://urbansurvivalsite.com/foods-that-last-forever/

Okay, this is going to sound funny but most Girl Scout Cookies are edible years after the expiration date.  Tagalongs and Samoas do not age well. 

Allie Mo said SHTF.....I'm purt sure that the World is in trouble. 

At my old house, we had turkey, deer, coyotes and a multitude of other animals to fall back on. Now, I have fuzzy tail rats, rabbits and some other things i'm not gonna mention due to my respect for Allie.

As of yesterday and today, here near ground zero, the grocery supermarkets (as opposed to the big box stores), Safeway, Thriftway, and such, are at low crowds, no lines, half-empty parking lots. Canned goods and pasta seem always about 1/2 down (i.e. still available) all other food fully stocked. No TP, of course.

Appears people have enough, and are complying with stay-at-home recommendations. Of course, here we were early with heavy buying than most of the rest of the country.

Food supplies are fine. Knock wood, of course.....

32 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Okay, this is going to sound funny but most Girl Scout Cookies are edible years after the expiration date.  Tagalongs and Samoas do not age well. 

OT but, I just wanted to ask "who can afford to hoard GSC? I just bought a bag of the GS gluten free chocolate chip cookies. Yummy but pricey!

7 minutes ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

OT but, I just wanted to ask "who can afford to hoard GSC? I just bought a bag of the GS gluten free chocolate chip cookies. Yummy but pricey!

True, but sometimes ya just gotta splurge. :D

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

1 hour ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

I can't do the math on how many I would have to buy for them to last after the expiration date. I eat them far too fast for that to be a worry.

2 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I had to look this up.
Thank you. I learned something today. :)

Obviously you and Miss Allie are too young to have heard the story this came from: ""
And the Tigers were very, very angry, but still they would not
let go of each other's tails. And they were so angry, that
they ran round the tree, trying to eat each other up, and they
ran faster and faster, till they were whirling round so fast
that you couldn't see their legs at all.

And they still ran faster and faster and faster, till they all
just melted away, and there was nothing left but a great big
pool of melted butter (or "ghi," as it is called in India)
round the foot of the tree."

Ghee is a little different from clarified butter, which will also last a long time.

i have made clarified butter several times. A story about one of those times that led to something called experience. I was making clarified butter like I always did. A pound of unsalted butter in a two quart pot. The butter melted and started to boil off the water.

[for those who don’t know, butter is about 19% water, 80% butterfat, and 1%whey and other milksolids]

at this point I got a phone call and had to shut off the stove and go take care of the problem. When I returned the butter had become hard again. I put it back on the stove and turned the gas on. It heated up and VOLCANO.  The butter oil flew all over the kitchen!  

What happened? The education. When the butter melted it separated. When I shut off they heat, the oil congealed on top of the water. When I resumed the heat the water turned to steam under the hard oil.  Oooops.  I could have done the separation in the cold pot and been 95% finished, only needing to remove the milk solids.

13 hours ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

I just Googled "what foods can last forever. These were listed:

1. Apple Cider Vinegar. This kitchen staple has many health benefits and will last indefinitely as long as you keep it sealed.
  2. Bouillon Cubes. As long as you keep these dry, they should remain stable indefinitely. ...
  3. Corn Starch. ...
  4. Corn Syrup. ...
  5. Ghee. ...
  6. Hard Liquor. ...
  7. Hardtack. ...
  8. Honey.
  9. Maple Syrup
  10. Salt
  11. Soy Sauce
  12. Sugar
  13. Vanilla Extract
  14. White Rice
  15. White Vinegar

See this site for caveats and storage requirements. https://urbansurvivalsite.com/foods-that-last-forever/

At first I thought hard liquor is a food? Well, alright...

But around these parts hard liquor ain't gonna last anywhere close to forever. The rednecks around here are gonna make that one disappear entirely on the first night on any apocalypse.

:D:D:D

11 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Obviously you and Miss Allie are too young to have heard the story this came from: ""
And the Tigers were very, very angry, but still they would not
let go of each other's tails. And they were so angry, that
they ran round the tree, trying to eat each other up, and they
ran faster and faster, till they were whirling round so fast
that you couldn't see their legs at all.

And they still ran faster and faster and faster, till they all
just melted away, and there was nothing left but a great big
pool of melted butter (or "ghi," as it is called in India)
round the foot of the tree."

Little Black Sambo, I have it on View Master....remember those??

3 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

A few of my friends had them.  Cool things.

I pull it out and look at some from time to time. Cisco Kid, Hopalong Cassidy, Sambo, Bugs Bunny etc. I've got about 50 reels, they're awesome!!;)

I got a good recipe from Cambodia for Cat Stew if anybody needs it... :o

About the only thing I have stocked up on is a couple cartons of Q-tips and suger free syrup.

I wonder how a good fiber enriched meal will taste covered in syrup..... :mellow:

..........Widder

3 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

At first I thought hard liquor is a food? Well, alright...

But around these parts hard liquor ain't gonna last anywhere close to forever. The rednecks around here are gonna make that one disappear entirely on the first night on any apocalypse.

:D:D:D

I just wrote what I Googled. Often, Google shows things they think you want, rather than what you really want. :P

18 hours ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:
  1. Ghee. ...

Around here, Gee goes with Haw.  Both of them are directional commands.

Tell a mule to turn right or turn left, and they'll just look at you like your stupid or somethin'.

Archived