SASS Wire Forum

Magtech brass shotshell reloaders question (H777)

Mustang Gregg

What do you use for the filler (around the primer pocket) in the base of the case?

I've heard of using BPI plastic gas seals and also hot glue.

I was pondering a 3M structural adhesive.

What works well for you?

Much obliged,

Mustang

Around the primer pocket?  I never heard of filler around the primer pocket.  My load is powder, nitro card, 2 felt wads, overshot card, shot, another overshot card, then a little Elmer's Wood glue to seal'em up.

Powder, over powder card, felt wads to take up the empty volume, shot, two overshot cards, clear silicone or Duco cement.

What do you use for the filler (around the primer pocket) in the base of the case?

Gregg, your thinking along the line that these are plastic smokeless powder hulls - which they are not .... brass hulls do not require a base filler

Just pour your powder on top of hull base -wad -shot -shot card - roll crimp or ring of sealant (I use hot glue = Done 

I pour about 200 grains of lead into the base - I put a decapping pin into the primer hole to keep it open as a pour in the lead - it adds enough weight that the shells fall out better.

Make Do---I was pondering that too.

THANKS YOU, SIR!

MG

1 hour ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Primer pocket filler :huh:

OLG 

1 hour ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Primer pocket filler :huh:

OLG 

OLG:

:oI know you were being funny.

It doesn't go in the primer pocket.

It goes around it.  Like a donut.

MG

1 hour ago, John Boy said:

Gregg, your thinking along the line that these are plastic smokeless powder hulls - which they are not .... brass hulls do not require a base filler

Just pour your powder on top of hull base -wad -shot -shot card - roll crimp or ring of sealant (I use hot glue = Done 

These do not have a base filler.

I haven't loaded any yet, but f I dumped powder in, it would be BELOW the flash hole.

6 minutes ago, Mustang Gregg said:

I haven't loaded any yet, but f I dumped powder in, it would be BELOW the flash hole.

It doesn't matter. The explosion will take care of all the powder.

57 minutes ago, Mustang Gregg said:

That's why you only use them with black powder. The volume needed easily rises above the top of the flash hole.

I don't understand this "Filler around the Primer Pocket" idea/thought??  I really don't.  I have also NEVER heard of it before.  Loading Magtech All Brass hulls is actually SIMPLE.  Dump in your BP or APP and put a Nitro card over the powder,  Stuff in your wad of choice.  I gave up on fiber wads of any sort.

I use a BPI 1044 10Ga wad with the petals cut back for a 1 Ounce pay load.  Two over shot cards on top.  DONE.  ALWAYS go BANG!!

My question comes from listening to a BP shooting guy said that you HAVE to have all of your smokeless, BP or sub at the level of the flash hole or higher.

No powder below the flash hole level.

Is he correct or full of crap?

I will be using new 12 gauge Magtech hulls with Win large pistol primers, like they were made for.

15 minutes ago, Mustang Gregg said:

My question comes from listening to a BP shooting guy said that you HAVE to have all of your smokeless, BP or sub at the level of the flash hole or higher.

I will be using new 12 gauge Magtech hulls with Win large pistol primers, like they were made for.

He's full of crap.   If this were true, they would not make them this way.

3 hours ago, Mustang Gregg said:

OLG:

:oI know you were being funny.

It doesn't go in the primer pocket.

It goes around it.  Like a donut.

MG

Seriously, I had no clue of what you were talking about.....

I've loaded Magtec brass 12ga for many yrs.

OLG 

52 minutes ago, Mustang Gregg said:

CRAP:excl:

OLG

Thanks, all. 

I have loaded some 12 ga with APP before, but I used normal Win AA hulls.

Stuffing those brass Magtechs hulls are new to me.

Do they swell much upon firing with SASS velocity BP subs?

Much obliged, BP Pards.

Respects,

MG

I spent the $$ to get the shell resizing die after the brass shells started sticking a bit too often. I just wished I would of bought it sooner. The shell were very difficult to size to start with compared to once fired brass shells so they must of swelled a bit with firing. I know generally if you fire shells in just one gun they will continue to fit that one gun without sizing. But with my double maybe one chamber was different than the other making it seem like I was firing them in two guns.

I run 6 Different Hammer Doubles.  TTNs, Antiques, Pedersoli and have NEVER needed to resize a Magtech hull.  Once in a while they will stick a little, but those cases have a bit of "soot" on 'em.

The "All Knowing" clown with the impressive knowledge base (must have propellent above the flash hole) be some dumb.  Also some full of CRAP!!

The biggest issue I've run into with the brass hulls was when I dropped a box of them that I had loaded and it egged a few cases.  A set of CH4D dies and it hasn't been an issue since. 

20 hours ago, Make do said:

I spent the $$ to get the shell resizing die after the brass shells started sticking a bit too often. I just wished I would of bought it sooner. The shell were very difficult to size to start with compared to once fired brass shells so they must of swelled a bit with firing. I know generally if you fire shells in just one gun they will continue to fit that one gun without sizing. But with my double maybe one chamber was different than the other making it seem like I was firing them in two guns.

I shot 4 years using RCBS Cowboy dies with my Magtech shells.  Always had a few sticky ones during a match.  I switched to CH4D dies last year.  Massive difference in resizing and roll crimping.  Shells now snap out of the gun like smokeless.

Archived