SASS Wire Forum

On a Positive note: Henry .22 lever rifle

Widder, SASS #59054

The past couple years, Slater and I have donated a Henry .22 rifle to the TN State Match set up

by the Wartrace Regulators.  PLUS, we have sponsored the Rimfire Speed Rifle side match.

The Wartrace Regulators decide how they prefer to award the rifle.

In the past, I decided on the Henry model.

This year, if any of you are thinking of going to the TN State match in October,  what model

of Henry .22 lever rifle would you like to see donated.

I'll do my best to accommodate just about any rifle from the Standard Youth, Standard, Frontier, Golden Boy,

Golden Boy Youth, Golden Boy Silver, Golden Boy Silver Youth,  and the Silver Eagle.

If you got a favorite, please let me know.   Slater and I will probably get the rifle soon and get it all

modified with the Widder Soft Stroke and Slater trigger work.   October will roll around before we

know it.

P.S. - I might consider donating 2 cheaper models instead of 1 expensive model.

And I might add, many of these models come .22 lr,   .22 mag,  and .17 HMR.

Talk to me!

Stay safe out there, Pards.

..........Widder

Wonderful thing you and Slater do!!  Whichever model you choose, the rifle is always a keeper!!

THANK YOU BOTH!!!!!

That a great donation. I am sure anyone would love to get whichever you pick.

Me?

I like the Henry Golden Boy .22

5 of them in my safe. Mine. And bought one every time I had a grandkid born.

Have it checkered and there name lasered in the forearm. Just waiting for them to get big enough.

The older two have shot there's a few times.

So you could say I am partial to them.

AA,

Good job.

Last year, before the TN State, I worked on about 5 GB Youth models.   I liked them so much,

I bought me one for meowndangself.   Now I got the Evil Roy (the original Widder Soft Stroke) and

my Golden Boy Youth, which is my favorite plinker.

..........Widder

2 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

The past couple years, Slater and I have donated a Henry .22 rifle to the TN State Match set up

by the Wartrace Regulators.  PLUS, we have sponsored the Rimfire Speed Rifle side match.

This year, if any of you are thinking of going to the TN State match in October,  what model

I'll do my best to accommodate just about any rifle from the Standard Youth, Standard, Frontier, Golden Boy,

Golden Boy Youth, Golden Boy Silver, Golden Boy Silver Youth,  and the Silver Eagle.

If you got a favorite, please let me know.   Slater and I will probably get the rifle soon and get it all

modified with the Widder Soft Stroke and Slater trigger work.   October will roll around before we

know it.

Talk to me!

..........Widder

Widder this is a great thing that you and Slater do. All of the Henry's are very nice especially after you and Slater do your magic on them. We really appreciate any of them that you donate. I personally like any of them in .22 lr the best just because they are so cheap to shoot and have a lot of fun with.

Thanks again for all you have done.

Randy

Very generous and thoughtful donation.

And I might add that Widder and Slater do EXCEPTIONAL work on these guns.

I have not had a chance to thank them because ... well, no excuse. Guess I'm just rude.

THANK YOU Widder and Slater for the great work you did on my little Safe Queen!

Waimea

I shot one last year and they do great work as well as offering excellent advice

I love the golden boy but the likelihood of me winning one is slim unless it goes to the sweatiest shooter.:D

I'm certainly not surprised by Widder's generosity! One of the nicest guys on the Wire, he is as real as it gets. He's always willing to share information and discuss solutions to a problem. Never at a loss for words, a trait we both share, a conversation with Widder is like experiencing a walk through an encyclopedia of firearms. SOmetimes we have to laugh at each other during our conversations because we both are hard of hearing.  Hey Widder, thanks for being my friend!

DSC00969.JPG

Howdy Jess.    The pleasure is equally mine.   

Ya know, your picture is pretty much as I had imagined you looked.   Almost like myself.....a cross

between Elvis and the Duke.  :D

Talk with you soon.   And thanks for the kind words.

..........Widder

Yes sir! I've had the pleasure of handling one of his Marlins, not the Widdermatic, but.... if the Widderatic was any smoother than the one I was drooling over, I could never imagine how much better it could be. Of course the Widdermatic can feed anything from wad cutters to soup cans!   :)

18 hours ago, Waimea said:

And I might add that Widder and Slater do EXCEPTIONAL work on these guns.

I have not had a chance to thank them because ... well, no excuse. Guess I'm just rude.

THANK YOU Widder and Slater for the great work you did on my little Safe Queen!

Waimea

I second this. Just got my son's back from Widder and it’s incredible. I thought they were smooth before, but now it’s a while other level. Unfortunately, we still haven’t shot it because the shoots got canceled. 

On 3/19/2020 at 2:59 PM, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Widder is just another fine example of the great folks of CAS. He has always been generous and kind to me, plus he does wonderful work. I will be glad when all this virus stuff is over so I can see him and many other Cowboy folks again!!

know it.

Talk to me!

..........Widder

Widder

Kudos for your generosity.

My only experience is the Henry Frontier.
This is a sweet little gun... it feels to us like a scaled down version of our 1894CB.
We use it as a SASS trainer and just for fun.

The fit and finish is very nice and feels like a fine shooter.

Widder did two of those Henrys for Shirttail and I. Only "problem" we had was after I sent them to him I got a call from him. Widder said he was almost afraid to work on them cause they were brand new, one was engraved. He said he was afraid he might put a scratch on one of em. Any how he did a really nice job on both of them, no scratches, absolutely smooth as hot butter.

Thanks Widder

kR

PS one was a 22 one was a 22 mag.

10 minutes ago, Kid Rich said:

Widder did two of those Henrys for Shirttail and I. Only "problem" we had was after I sent them to him I got a call from him. Widder said he was almost afraid to work on them cause they were brand new, one was engraved. He said he was afraid he might put a scratch on one of em. Any how he did a really nice job on both of them, no scratches, absolutely smooth as hot butter.

Thanks Widder

kR

PS one was a 22 one was a 22 mag.

Howdy KId.

Yea, I remember both of those rifles.   And yep, I was very timid about putting a screw driver in those slots.

I think that was the first time I had worked on such finely finished rifles from Henry.  I remember

cleaning off one of my work benches (the one I used strictly for disassembly/reassembly) and putting

down a new cover cloth to pad the receiver.

Another BEAUTIFUL rifle was from Sweet & Sassy Cindy.   Probably one of the nicest I've seen.

I was actually a little surprised she would allow anyone to touch it.   But Slater and I managed to

get it back to her unharmed.

Thanks to everyone for the kind words.   But don't forget........What model rifle would you prefer

donated?

..........Widder

I sent my Henry Evil Roy to Widder. He slicked it up real fine and put a regular lever on it. It's a true pleasure to shoot and everybody ought to have one.  Widder & Slater are great supporters of the TN State Championship match. Their contributions of rifles has been greatly appreciated by the Wartrace Regulators as well as the participants in the match. A contribution even greater than that of goods & services is the value their mere presence brings to our gathering. If you haven't met, shot with, and had conversations with these two cowboys you are truly missing out on some of the real finer things in life. Thank You Widder, Thank You Slater.

Archived