SASS Wire Forum

Remember the anti malaria pills in Vietnam?

Utah Bob #35998

Well it turns out that the Chloroquine might be effective against Covid 19!

Good news: I still have some sealed in the package

Bad News: They’re at the house 1900 miles away.

Good News: They’re probably expired anyway. ;)

8 minutes ago, John Barleycorn, SASS #76982 said:

We had to take them when we went to Honduras for AT. 

I spent the vast majority of mine time in central and southern America. We always took them, along with penicillin shots and gamoglobbin, whatever the heck that is. Man did those ones hurt. Felt like someone was injecting you with peanut butter

While there does seem to be some indication that the anti-malarial drugs MAY be effective in fighting COVID-19, according to this morning's briefing,  it will take from 3 to 6 months of testing before FDA would approve its use in this manner! :(  OTOH, there MAY be other drugs "in the pipeline" that are being looked at for "therapeutic" use in patients suffering from the virus. 

Hang in there, Pards!

51 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Well it turns out that the Chloroquine might be effective against Covid 19!

Good news: I still have some sealed in the package

Bad News: They’re at the house 1900 miles away.

Good News: They’re probably expired anyway. ;)

That's just a recommendation, I'm sure they're fine!:huh:

You never know what might pop up!    My SIL has Behcet's Syndrome coupled with Addison's disease and was on 24 hr oxygen.  Docs in Augusta found that Prilosec, the otc indigestion drug,  increased oxygen in the blood and he's on oxygen only at night now.

Tonic water has Quinine in it.  That must be similar.  In my storage room of useless trivia (back of my head) I recall that when the British went to India, men would come down with malaria.  Quinine was supposed to help with the symptoms.  I don't think it cured it but for some reason I recall the Brits would prescribe Quinine to the men but it had a terrible taste so they mixed it with a bit of sugar and soda water.  This concoction they mixed with their Gin which gave us the Gin and tonic.  So I guess in order for us to stay healthy, we should be drinking gin and tonics or vodka tonics.  I'll have mine with a slice of lime, please.  The alcohol with help sterilize things and the quinine will help us get and stay better.

Find the pills in the pic. :lol:

99C7D46B-104D-4006-98C2-411A9A71DAB8.jpeg

We were given  anti malaria treatment when we returned from Korea in 1958.  As best I remember it was called Primaquine.  If it gave any immunity it has probably worn off by now. 

Blackfoot  :FlagAm:

On 3/19/2020 at 2:40 PM, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

I took Mefloquine in Iraq...apparently it is known to create or contribute to some psychological disorders.  

I just read about the problems with that drug in recent DAV magazine. 

That drug sounds pretty bad.

At yesterday’s press conference, Dr. Fauci said the evidence is only anecdotal at the present time. They are looking at it as well as  many other possibilities.

Remember the anti malaria pills in Vietnam?

No, but I remember the same drug when cruising the Indian Ocean during the Iran Carter Debacle and cruising the Mediterranean in ‘82.

Chloroquine has some horrific sounding side effects but for me it upset my stomach and caused diarrhea until I got used to it. 

Big ones on Monday, little ones(dapsone) every day.  They kept the malaria suppressed, but when I came home and ran out of pills, two kinds of malaria hit me at the same time.  Barely survived, two months in Pearl Harbor(Tripler) hospital.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived