SASS Wire Forum

paper cartridges

Make do

I was playing with my cap and ball revolvers trying to speed up the reloading - so I decided to try paper cartridges- using beauty rolling paper -I made up a bunch and they seem to work well - but when cleaning later that day I noticed a lot of burned paper in the cylinder - I didn't have any problem with ignition at all -what I wanted to know are scraps of paper potential problems with the next paper cartridges put in?. Do you ignore them or fish them out before the reload? 

If you treat the paper with nitrate that will help. I fired 15 paper charges in1  ROA  chamber without cleaning & they all went off but the chamber looked pretty cruddy. I use some 2 cc medical vials to pre measure out powder charges - much handier & no paper. I also tried cigarette papers & coffee filter papers - vials is the way to go. YMMV

Mike Bellevue You Tube channel has a video on making paper cartridges for cap & ball revolvers.  Another video shows how to modify Uberti revolvers so you can insert the cartridge in the cylinder with the healed bullet on the left.  He also has a video shooting the cartridges that includes examining the cylinders after firing.  Medical vials will be much less hassle & you can use std. conical or balls.  It won't faster to load; however, the time to fill the vials more than makes up for time required to make the paper cartridges. 

I'm fairly new to rolling my own self consuming cartridges, but the short answer is yes. Smoldering paper left in the chamber has the potential to ignite a new cartridge. As far as debris, mine actually burn or blow out fairly clean to be honest, but I'm always mindful and give the gun time to "cool off" just in case. Otherwise, I clean whatever is in ther chamber out at the end of the shooting session. I use plain jane, untreated coffee filters with 30gr of Ffg in a Uberti Walker with a .454 RB.

14 hours ago, Yusta B. said:

If you treat the paper with nitrate that will help. I fired 15 paper charges in1  ROA  chamber without cleaning & they all went off but the chamber looked pretty cruddy. I use some 2 cc medical vials to pre measure out powder charges - much handier & no paper. I also tried cigarette papers & coffee filter papers - vials is the way to go. YMMV

I've gone thru the "making my own paper cartridges" thing, and I don't think it's worth the trouble.  But, I'm unfamiliar with the medical vial thing.  Exactly what are they and where do you get them?

Angus

I bought small plastic vials from Amazon that had a screw on top.  They were pretty cheap, and worked well for their purpose.  To me it was even quicker and less messy than using a flask.  Plus, I could count out 5 vials at a time, and during the process I could quickly tell if I had loaded 5 cylinders by checking the vials.

1 hour ago, Black Angus McPherson said:

I've gone thru the "making my own paper cartridges" thing, and I don't think it's worth the trouble.  But, I'm unfamiliar with the medical vial thing.  Exactly what are they and where do you get them?

Angus

Msg coming yer way

My Cap Guns are all set up to remove the cylinder and use a Cylinder Loading Stand (Tower of Power).  Makes re-charging percussion cylinders quick and simple.  When considering Cap Guns, "Speed" in the loading process is Oxymoron.  You take what ever time you need to get it right.

I think that paper cartridges ARE worthwhile for a number of reasons.

Making them isn’t a big deal, and you’ll develop your own techniques to make them better than the videos.  

Try it, anyway.

Cat Brules

Best time saver I found loading my C&B pistols was practice doing it at a match. First match I was slow as molasses. By the 4th match I could load both pistols in the time it took 3 shooters to complete the stage. 

2 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Best time saver I found loading my C&B pistols was practice doing it at a match. First match I was slow as molasses. By the 4th match I could load both pistols in the time it took 3 shooters to complete the stage. 

Especially if I was one of those shooters ...:unsure:

2 hours ago, Yusta B. said:

Especially if I was one of those shooters ...:unsure:

As long as you are shooting and having fun I don't care how long it takes you to complete a stage. ;)

Archived