SASS Wire Forum

California law question

Alpo

Do the cops in California make weekly trips to all of the gun shops, where they check the serial numbers of all used guns against their stolen gun list?

Here in Florida they do this at the pawn shops. But not the gun shops. When my daughter's pistol was stolen the pawn shop detail found at IT, DAMMIT, the next week. But if the guy had taken it to an actual gun shop, first he would have probably got more than $60 for it, and second the cops would have never found it.

16 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Do the cops in California make weekly trips to all of the gun shops, where they check the serial numbers of all used guns against their stolen gun list?

Here in Florida they do this at the pawn shops. But not the gun shops. When my daughter's pistol was stolen the pawn shop detail found at IT, DAMMIT, the next week. But if the guy had taken it to an actual gun shop, first he would have probably got more than $60 for it, and second the cops would have never found it.

Nope.

How would they know?

If I steal a gun from Pat, and take it down to Ye Olde Friendly Pawn Shoppe and hock it, the pawn shop detail will catch it in week.

But if I take it down to Joe's Gun Shop, and sell it to Joe, he puts it in his bound book, and then sits on it for a month? Why? Is there any way for him to check that it's been stolen? is there any requirement for him to check if it's been stolen?

That's why I asked about the cops. If, using a fake ID, I sell a stolen gun to Joe, take my money and split, and then sometime over the next month Joe checks the gun and discovers that it's  been stolen, he is out the money he paid me for the gun. It is against his interest to find out, after the fact, that he bought a stolen gun, because he will have lost his money.

It's like realizing he has a counterfeit $20 bill in the register. If he takes it to the bank or the police and turns it in (like he should) he is out $20. On the other hand, if he gives it to me in change, I'm the one that is out $20. And if I know absolutely that he gave it to me, he can claim innocence - "I don't know nothin' 'bout no phony $20 bill".

One of the gun shops here in Tallahassee is owned by two retired sheriff's deputies. They would love to have some lowlife come in and try and sell them a stolen gun. Anyway, most of the shops in town only take used guns from individuals on consignment. I doubt many crooks want to go the consignment route with their loot.

I believe that if you try to pawn a gun in CA the pawn broker can run the numbers on the gun to determine if any flags come up on it but I am sure there is a time lag  on the DOJ end of things.

3 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I believe that if you try to pawn a gun in CA the pawn broker can run the numbers on the gun to determine if any flags come up on it but I am sure there is a time lag  on the DOJ end of things.

It will also 'pop' when the new owner does the NCIS stuff.

IIRC, stolen guns(unless LEO or military)are only listed as such for 7 yrs.

OLG 

So when y'all do the NICS, they not only ask if Pat Riot is a criminal but they list the serial number of the gun he is wanting to buy?

1 hour ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

It will also 'pop' when the new owner does the NCIS stuff

In San Diego, the cops make daily trips to the beach for bikini inspections.
They only come out for bikinis and dead bodies.

When we were living at the beach, this was a daily occurrence.

6 hours ago, bgavin said:

Do they go to the nude beaches to make sure everything is ok?

Black's Beach is the nudie place...
It is secluded and a good hike down to the T&A... no easy Park and Watch there.
Most police action at that beach are rescuing the dumb asses who fall or get into trouble on the bluffs.

Cops favor Pacific Beach, at Reed and the Boardwalk.
Easy parking for LEOs and the show never ends.
It is right around the corner from us, but we will never live there again.
Too nuts.

13 hours ago, bgavin said:

Having read this I feel like I made a really poor life choice decision. I should have been a SD cop. Guess I wasted my life

Naa... the ratio of Men:Women in San Diego is SO HIGH regular guys will never stand a chance.
You are competing with the very finest physical specimens from the military, for starters.
After that, most of the women I've seen/heard are about a half-step above AOC, or a half-step below Megan Rapinoe.

You ain't missin' nothin'... sit on the beach, enjoy the scenery, then go home.
The beach is a zoo.

The girls must be vampires... I've been going to this beach since 1955.
The girls never age... not at all.
It is hard to be in your 20s and ugly... you really have to work at it.

19 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

So when y'all do the NICS, they not only ask if Pat Riot is a criminal but they list the serial number of the gun he is wanting to buy?

Make, model and SN.

OLG 

I have done hundreds of Federal NICS checks. You NEVER!! enter the make, model, serial number of the firearm being sold. Only the type, handgun, longgun, etc.

1 hour ago, bgavin said:

Naa... the ratio of Men:Women in San Diego is SO HIGH regular guys will never stand a chance.
You are competing with the very finest physical specimens from the military, for starters.
After that, most of the women I've seen/heard are about a half-step above AOC, or a half-step below Megan Rapinoe.

You ain't missin' nothin'... sit on the beach, enjoy the scenery, then go home.
The beach is a zoo.

The girls must be vampires... I've been going to this beach since 1955.
The girls never age... not at all.
It is hard to be in your 20s and ugly... you really have to work at it.

What are you trying to say? You don’t think I’m amongst the finest physical specimen? 

1 hour ago, T.J. Bones SASS# 75616 said:

I have done hundreds of Federal NICS checks. You NEVER!! enter the make, model, serial number of the firearm being sold. Only the type, handgun, longgun, etc.

After some ck'n around. 

You need to do more research as each state us different. 

OLG

In California any handgun transfer includes the make, model and serial number going to the Dept of Justice, regardless of Federal requirements. 

1 hour ago, T.J. Bones SASS# 75616 said:

You are in Kansas.
The Feds are not the ones who will be going door to door confiscating guns.
That will be done at the State level.

In CA, this is what is recorded and online 24x7 to state government and law enforcement:

----------------------
Firearm DROS
----------------------
• Purchaser's First, Middle and Last Name
• Alias First, Middle and Last Name
• Street Address, City, State, ZIP'
• Telephone number
• ID Type, ID Number
• Eye Color
• Hair Color
• Height and Weight
• Date of Birth