SASS Wire Forum

Italian gun shortage?

El Hombre Sin Nombre

It just dawned on my this morning that one of the potential side effects of Italy shutting down is that there will lonely be a shortage of Italian guns this year. I have placed orders in the past for uberti or Pietta guns in the fall and there is usually a small wait when employees go on leave for a whole month. It makes me think that there will be quite a shortage after all is said and done. Or will it not matter some few people will be able to purchase what’s already here in distributor hands? No production, but no sales either? What do y’all think? 

Wasn't there a thread similar to this last week?

I would guess they might not take a month off like normal.

I also believe it'll take at minimum a year for the economy to recover after this stupidity.

1 minute ago, El Hombre Sin Nombre said:

It just dawned on my this morning that one of the potential side effects of Italy shutting down is that there will lonely be a shortage of Italian guns this year. I have placed orders in the past for uberti or Pietta guns in the fall and there is usually a small wait when employees go on leave for a whole month. It makes me think that there will be quite a shortage after all is said and done. Or will it not matter some few people will be able to purchase what’s already here in distributor hands? No production, but no sales either? What do y’all think? 

Substantial backlog will exist. Let hope none of the machinists or others employed by the manufacturers are victims of the virus. Probably going to take quite some time to get things back to near normal there and here.

We toured our favorite toy stores last Friday and there were plenty of cowboy guns.  Maybe not the exact model you were wanting and no pairs of 6 guns. But plenty to chose from.  Still a lot on the used markets.   If prices start to climb,  I could probably sell off a few. 

9 hours ago, John Barleycorn, SASS #76982 said:

I got a call from Taylor’s & Co. today. They asked if I got the 2020 catalog and price list. They said shipment are coming in regularly and wanted to know if I needed anything. 

Thar seems unusual to me that they would call you  direct.  Is that something they’ve done before?  Just thinking they may be trying to get an idea of how the CV19 crisis will affect Cowboys’ buying decisions in the near (2 months) future, but that doesn’t seem likely to me.   Good that they called, I think.

Cat Brules

30 minutes ago, Cat Brules said:

Thar seems unusual to me that they would call you  direct.  Is that something they’ve done before?  Just thinking they may be trying to get an idea of how the CV19 crisis will affect Cowboys’ buying decisions in the near (2 months) future, but that doesn’t seem likely to me.   Good that they called, I think.

Cat Brules

I bet they called because he is one of their affiliated dealers.

My thoughts actually went the opposite direction.  Given the age groups that are most vulnerable to the virus, and the age groups that are most active in SASS, I worry that we'll actually have a surplus of Cowboy guns and a shortage of friends if this virus isn't stopped.

Guns... you are worried about guns! TIOLET PAPER MAN, IT'S TOLIET PAPER YOU NEED TO BE WORRIED ABOUT!

SB

19 minutes ago, Snakebite said:

Guns... you are worried about guns! TIOLET PAPER MAN, IT'S TOLIET PAPER YOU NEED TO BE WORRIED ABOUT!

SB

We need guns to protect our precious toilet paper!:P

1 hour ago, Snakebite said:

SB

As most times, it's great living "in the woods" of NETX, but might I caution those who do, and those who may begin more frequent visits.....poison ivy will be leafing soon. 

I just got a sweet Cimarron Pedersoli Sharps rifle in 45-70, not cowboy I guess but I had the black powder smoke floating on Sunday at the Wyoming Antelope range and it was glorious...

2 hours ago, Wade Fargo said:

I just got a sweet Cimarron Pedersoli Sharps rifle in 45-70, not cowboy I guess but I had the black powder smoke floating on Sunday at the Wyoming Antelope range and it was glorious...

What makes you think it’s not Cowboy?

3 hours ago, Major Crimes said:

I have two Pietta Yank 51's in .44cal on back order from Dec with an expected date of arrival in Jun.

I am not holding my breath:(

Maybe because you're in Australia? Just a guess.

19 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

What makes you think it’s not Cowboy?

Well technically yes it is but It’s not my intention for that particular rifle . If I want to shoot plainsman my 30 inch barrel example wouldn’t be my choice, maybe a carbine. (Damn good excuse for another sharps!) Maybe there are a number of Plainsman shooting opportunities around me in central Florida but I’m not aware of them. 

23 minutes ago, Rough 'N Ready Rob said:

Red Wood,

Think American, you could buy a Marlin, they work for me. They where the gun of choice until they started short stroking the 73. Maybe buy a real Winchester 97 too.

Stay healthy, have a nice day. 

Rob AKA  Old Fart

Thanks Rob. I am good on rifles for now. In fact, just acquired a Henry I was going to test out for the first time at Richmond, but we cancelled.. I am thinking more along the lines of more cap guns, plus parts to keep all this stuff running. But it's a bit of a moot point now. Might not be able to shoot together again until summer.

I was concerned at first, but I figure an 1873 rifle in 44 mag isn't' all that popular.
I jumped on it anyway, and it is now in CA gun jail waiting for 10 days to go by.
All will be well... as long as Komrade Newsom does not force all small business to close down.

On 3/17/2020 at 9:53 AM, Snakebite said:

SB

If you never had a bidet installed on your stool, you must.  The greatest invention since stirrups on a saddle.  Healthy also.

4 hours ago, Fargo Bill, SASS #4942 said:

If you never had a bidet installed on your stool, you must.  The greatest invention since stirrups on a saddle.  Healthy also.

Ron White has a really funny bit on those.......:D

4 hours ago, Fargo Bill, SASS #4942 said:

Geeze! That would require Butt Powder too...... Lavender I presume. 

I just pray for those folks in Italy that are getting hit so hard.  Yes, everything is shut down.  Heck, here in some states all "non-essential" businesses are being told to close, and "non-essential" workers told to stay home.   In those places, we might not be able to buy a gun even if they were available.

I ordered a mag cap and a side plate screw from Taylors last night. Got an email this morning that they were on back order due to circumstances beyond their control. They said they were waiting on next shipment from Italy hopefully in next 4 to 8 weeks

42 minutes ago, McCandless said:

In those places, we might not be able to buy a gun even if they were available.

I have three in CA gun jail right now.
It will be interesting (or a PITA) to see how this plays out when the 10-day waiting period is done, and I could (normally) go pick them up.

Archived