SASS Wire Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Trigger Mike

Wts original 1873 winchester

Posted (edited)

Original rifle, accurate.  I recently test fired it and one of the rounds was bulged before chambering so I took it to the gunsmith who fixed it but now the spring won't always chamber the next round.  Because of that I will sell this for 1200 shipped and insured. Rifle is a 44.40

Edited by Trigger Mike

Nice looking rifle, but I don't understand any of what you said was wrong with it. You had a bulged round but you chambered it anyway? What spring chambers the round? I must be missing something.

• Like 2

I had some rounds from goex their black dawg ammo factory ammo.  One of the rounds had a bulge in the case that let me partially chamber it but not eject or fire it.   A gunsmith fixed it but in the process now the magazine tube spring does not force the next round into the carrier to chamber unless you tilt the rifle up, then it chambers fine.

3 hours ago, Trigger Mike said:

I had some rounds from goex their black dawg ammo factory ammo.  One of the rounds had a bulge in the case that let me partially chamber it but not eject or fire it.   A gunsmith fixed it but in the process now the magazine tube spring does not force the next round into the carrier to chamber unless you tilt the rifle up, then it chambers fine.

If that’s the case wouldn’t a new magazine spring fix that? Just asking because that would be a pretty easy fix.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I wonder if there is even a spring in it. Nice rifle in a great caliber.

I saw him put it in I wonder if he stretched it taking it out 

Posted (edited)

call me 9362301235 im interested like it is 

Edited by Poor Red

I think he put the Magazine Plug in backwards. I would check that first before anything else. If it is in backwards the plug will not seat it on the carrier unless you lift the rifle vertical. If you find that to be the case - don't use the gunsmith again.

• Like 1

TM - Just in case you didn't know but the date of manufacture was 1885.  Nice looking!

I'm going to withdraw the rifle from sale until I can confirm what is wrong

call me when your ready to sell it  9362301235