SASS Wire Forum

House Arrest for Old Folk...?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

I have to renew my DL. I'm not looking forward to DMV. I called and their appointments are full for 90 days. :o

Allie I heard on a news report that drivers license renewals are going to be waived for two months so you might check before you go!  SCJ

15 hours ago, Raylan said:

Hell, as an old person over 60 and high risk from health conditions I'd be happy to be under house arrest and kick back and take it easy - but I have to work - seems pandemic or not people are still wanting to kill themselves or others. 

Pandemic or not, the bills keep coming in so yes people like you and me need to work.

On 3/16/2020 at 7:12 PM, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Never want to report results before you have them.

I want to know who is doing research, where, and how much personnel and cash they’re putting into it.

We’re as isolated as possible here in this apartment in a city of 800,000. Been getting groceries delivered. Bored. :angry::angry:

I had a pretty dim view of the intelligence level and gullibility of the general population.   In the last week,  that dim view turned to totally dark.  How fragile is our society that can't face this situation with some rational maturity.  At the wave of a bureaucrat order, our civil liberties have been revoked,  business disrupted and the economy shaken. 

2 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

I had a pretty dim view of the intelligence level and gullibility of the general population.   In the last week,  that dim view turned to totally dark.  How fragile is our society that can't face this situation with some rational maturity.  At the wave of a bureaucrat order, our civil liberties have been revoked,  business disrupted and the economy shaken. 

Our "civility" is a very thin coat of paint, the mob comes out very easily.  
I can still vividly see an incident at the Marin County Renaissance Faire maybe 30 years ago. The "Penny lady" (village mad woman) was doing her schtick not long after opening - just long enough for people to get most of the way to the end of the venue.  She was ragged and dirty, scrabbling around on the ground and singing, chanting, screaming, "Pennnnny!  PENNY! Pennypennypennypennypenny!" you get the idea.  People tossed coins to her, or in front of her, quarters, half dollars, etc. she would often toss away, she would sometimes eat folding money if she didn't crumple it and toss it aside.  There was a family there, judging from their dress, at the very least upper middle class Marinites.  Parents, two sons, mid-teens.  Kids started out tossing coins to the woman.  After maybe a minute the were throwing the coins AT her, with the parents egging them on and supplying they with half dollar coins.  Others almost instantly went from tossing coins to throwing them at her.  Hard.  And the crowd noise went from jocular banter to angry mob.  Whole thing took about 3 minutes.  

The mob is just barely concealed.

Remember back when your kids were little and one kid in the neighborhood had chicken pox? Remember what y'all did? I say we treat covid19 like chicken pox, if you know someone who has it, we send all the old people to their house. Better to get it now before you're older right?

All jokes aside, please guys, stay in your homes...You're not 25 anymore, you don't have the immune systems of a cockroaches anymore. We younger guys and gals need you... Who else is going to tell me how much better it was "in the old days"? Who else is going to write stages based on movies  made before we were born? Heck, before some of our parents were born! Who else has the experience to build the perfect 1873? (probably because you were there when it was first released)

Take care of yourselves guys, listen to your wives when they tell you to stay inside, they are the smart ones, not us... Some chinese woman probably told her husband "wing ching du wing dong" which translates to "dont eat that bat, you arent ozzy osborne"

stay safe

6 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Marinites are speshul, don'tcha know.  :rolleyes:

Wasn't that Black Point....?  

Black Point it was.  I think it was the two years before the First of Five Annual "Fairewell to Black Point" Faires.

9 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Our "civility" is a very thin coat of paint, the mob comes out very easily.  
I can still vividly see an incident at the Marin County Renaissance Faire maybe 30 years ago. The "Penny lady" (village mad woman) was doing her schtick not long after opening - just long enough for people to get most of the way to the end of the venue.  She was ragged and dirty, scrabbling around on the ground and singing, chanting, screaming, "Pennnnny!  PENNY! Pennypennypennypennypenny!" you get the idea.  People tossed coins to her, or in front of her, quarters, half dollars, etc. she would often toss away, she would sometimes eat folding money if she didn't crumple it and toss it aside.  There was a family there, judging from their dress, at the very least upper middle class Marinites.  Parents, two sons, mid-teens.  Kids started out tossing coins to the woman.  After maybe a minute the were throwing the coins AT her, with the parents egging them on and supplying they with half dollar coins.  Others almost instantly went from tossing coins to throwing them at her.  Hard.  And the crowd noise went from jocular banter to angry mob.  Whole thing took about 3 minutes.  

The mob is just barely concealed.

Imagine what it will be like if the power and water goes off.  You'll see the mob then for sure.  It will make Lord of the Flies look like the Sound of Music.

3 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

Imagine what it will be like if the power and water goes off.  You'll see the mob then for sure.  It will make Lord of the Flies look like the Sound of Music.

Imagine an earthquake on the New Madrid fault the magnitude of the multiple ones that struck in early 1800s. Besides the massive local damage,  it would destroy or disable every bridge in the Mississippi valley - including those on Missouri,  Ohio and Tennessee rivers and tributaries into them.  Pipelines would be broken.   They experience earthquakes daily in that region.  The next big one is due any day. 

https://www.sccmo.org/705/About-the-New-Madrid-Fault

18 hours ago, Silver Creek Jack said:

Allie I heard on a news report that drivers license renewals are going to be waived for two months so you might check before you go!  SCJ

I called as the report said some DL renewals would be eligible for extension. Yes, I could get that. However, right now they are waiving the written test. So I think I will go tomorrow. I've already taken 24 online tests.

On 3/15/2020 at 9:21 PM, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

In addition to the news about restaurants, bars, and such closing, I just read where the california governor "issued a call for home isolation for all seniors above the age of 65 or with chronic conditions to stay indoors.  There are 13 task forces to aid in this directive to protect those who are most vulnerable..." 

Yeah.  Right.  :ph34r:   silly.gif

And what will all this cost the tax payers, and who believes "it will go back to normal" when the crap is washed away?

On ‎3‎/‎18‎/‎2020 at 9:25 AM, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

I called as the report said some DL renewals would be eligible for extension. Yes, I could get that. However, right now they are waiving the written test. So I think I will go tomorrow. I've already taken 24 online tests.

I thought I'd check things out before I left today. I got up at 5:00 (ouch) and found out offices are only serving by appointment. I've tried to make an appointment and tried again today. The closest offices to me are full 90 days out.

As my DL expires 4/13, I called my insurance agent. I will be uninsured when my DL expires.

On 3/16/2020 at 8:51 AM, Utah Bob #35998 said:

How long do you hunker down?

How long do you isolate?

How long do you self quarantine?

No answers. Panic ensues.

The media excitedly reports every new case. But no news on vaccine research progress.

Sadly, with the reporting today, perhaps that is a good thing. 

I went to Sr. High school in Marin.

It didn't take long to learn the difference between a porcupine and a BMW, is the BMW has the pricks on the inside.

I also remember crashing the very first RenFaire at Black Point... came in the back way way.. boring... just a bunch of hippies in dirty clothes.
Many, many years later, the bride and I did faire for a decade or more, until the costume Nazis and politics became too onerous, so we bowed out.

Allie:  do your paperwork online, then do a walk-in at your DMV.
Go in at 4pm, you will get right through.
Sharon went in at 4pm on Halloween, out in 12 minutes flat.

2 hours ago, bgavin said:

Allie:  do your paperwork online, then do a walk-in at your DMV.
Go in at 4pm, you will get right through.
Sharon went in at 4pm on Halloween, out in 12 minutes flat.

I already did the paperwork online and I'd planned to walk in today in the a.m. I set my alarm for 5:00 a.m. When I got up, I checked DMV on-line. All DMV offices are doing renewals by appointment only. The closest place and time  I could get was Yuba City (93 miles) on June 8. I'm still working on it.

The pre-opening scenario will have a huge line, and long waiting time in that line.
The 4pm scenario is just a walk-in, and very fast, because they want to go home on time.

2 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Dang, BG ~ you must be older than I figgered!!  :lol:

Which high school...?  :)

San Rafael HS, class of 69.
I will be age 70 this November.

7 minutes ago, bgavin said:

San Rafael HS, class of 69.
I will be age 70 this November.

I worked with a couple of your classmates in San Francisco...  Y'all were a wild bunch!!  :lol:

2 minutes ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

Hardpan, use caution who you're calling old!

Aw shux, Allie ~ yer still a Sweet Young Thang!  ^_^

And where did you go to school...?   :rolleyes:

On 3/16/2020 at 10:21 AM, Subdeacon Joe said:

we are caught up in a Tom Clancy novel

More like Michael Crichton.

4 minutes ago, Bad Bascomb, SASS # 47,494 said:

:ph34r:   Well, I SELF-IDENTIFY as a youngster!  Thant's what I'll tell 'em.......

Not me. The grocery store is open an hour sooner for Geezers! :)

Class of '66 here, too, on the other side of the country.  I always told my grandchildren my generation didn't invent cool, but we for damn sure perfected it.

8 hours ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

LOL! Fooled you,

CL McLane (Fresno), class of '67,

Yup... I figgered you wuz a prodigy!!  ^_^

A bunch of years ago the Sassparilla Kid and I took bagpipe lessons at McLane, with the Stag and Thistle Pipe & Drum folks...  :P

Archived