SASS Wire Forum

More On Dogs

Subdeacon Joe

Saying goodby to a loyal friend is so hard!!  It leaves a huge hole in your heart.

Ha a similar experience in Nov. of 2018.  Took our Best of the Best golden retriever to the vet when he wouldn't eat raw meat.  The vet determined he was bleeding internally.  Most likely a bleeding spleen.  He performed surgery & the vet called to say it was successful.  One hour latter the vet called after he checked on him.  Unfortunately the loss of blood & surgery was more than Chief's 11 year old body could recover from.   The misses & I wish we would have had more than a kiss & hug before he was taken to the surgical suite.

:FlagAm:Annie and I never had children, the two legged kind.  Just wasn't in the cards.  So over the past 42+ years, many four legged kids have impacted our lives.  Our travel buddy to shoots for a number of years was Mr. Fitzsimmons, a 150lb American Bulldog.  His SASS alias was Don Bully Andro dele Vega.  That dog impacted our lives in ways we are still realizing.  We lost him last year just after he turned nine.  I am crying as I am typing this big time.   Well two weeks ago, I made a commitment to foster a rescue.  He was named Rye which is now Riley.  About 1.5 years old, part Shepard and part Chow.  He was not abused but totally ignored.  In two weeks he has gone from being afraid and distant to walking with me with his tail out wagging, sleeping on the bed and learning about cats.  We have decided to adopt Riley.  He came home in the back of the '04 Corvette, rides in the back seat of the dually and has decided the travel trailer is okay.  He will be with us in TN in Oct.

Mr. Fitz can never be replaced, but Riley has come into our lives for a reason.  A good one I am sure of.

Chas B   

Ive lost 4 dogs in the past 35 years and only 2 passed naturally. Hard to take but that's nature. Its very hard to make that decision to end their pain and suffering. I bawled like a baby on my last two I had to take to the vet. Its by far the hardest decision Ive ever had to make.

last battle.jpg

9 hours ago, Tascosa, SASS# 24838 said:

Ive lost 4 dogs in the past 35 years and only 2 passed naturally. Hard to take but that's nature. Its very hard to make that decision to end their pain and suffering. I bawled like a baby on my last two I had to take to the vet. Its by far the hardest decision Ive ever had to make.

Same here. Still shed tears when I think about Ben, Maxine, Bear, Toy, Nicki, Scooter, Chewy, and Billy the Kid. Every single one occupies a special place in my heart.

Any man or woman that doesn't has no soul.

I've had to say that final goodbye.
I've been with them every time, and every last time, it felt like I'd just murdered my best friend.

Archived