SASS Wire Forum

Not sure I get it.

paisano

Wednesday afternoon Mayor Turner shut down the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo and a lot of Houston.  Immediately, people began to come into the Academy Sports and Outdoors gun counter, where I work, to buy guns and ammunition at a stunning rate.  Many first time, I don't know anything about guns buyers.  Pistols and home defense shotguns all but gone in two days.  All 9mm, 40, or 45 ammo gone in two days.  I am pretty sure you can't shoot the virus, even if you are dead-eye dick.  I read the papers and some internet chatter yet I have NO clue what is causing this. Afraid of looters stealing toilet paper or what?  Any thoughts or facts?  :wacko:

I really think that as humans we like to know we are somewhat in control of our lives. if it takes 100 rolls of toilet paper and 1000 rounds of 9mm then whatever! Just my take on it.

“........yet I have NO clue what is causing this. Afraid of looters stealing toilet paper or what?  Any thoughts or facts?”  :wacko:
—————————————————

Fear of the unknown and the need to destroy any evil manifestation of it.

Cat Brules

I get the feeling people are afraid of a complete breakdown of society as we currently know it.  As Still Hand said above, people are afraid of not having any money or food while everything has come to a halt so there is no possibility of working to obtain money or food.  Those who do have money and/or food fear loosing it to desperate folks intent on removing it from them.  If you think about it, it's rather frightening.  I try not to think about it and hope we are civilized enough to not let things get that far.

Here in SoCal, “Earthquake Land” as I call it, it is totally obvious that the government pleas and admonitions to be prepared for earthquakes and stock up on basic items has definitely been falling on deaf ears. 

Gun stores are doing a very brisk business. The LAX Ammo store near me has had lines of men standing in front of it for the past few days. I went there Saturday and Sunday to buy bullets for reloading my range ammo and didn’t even bother stopping. I ordered my 9mm and .38 FMJ bullets online. I guess the online stores are getting slammed as well. 

Thanks for your thoughts. Glad SASS events are not being cancelled.

I know people who went out and bough a pistol after 9/11and had never touched a gun nor even considered owning one.m. It made them “feel” safer I guess. I explained to them as I was teaching them about their guns that  1. the attacks had been on airliners and you cannot take your pistol on a plane and that  2. The likelihood of another attack was very very slim. 
Fear, although often irrational, is a strong motivator.

I hope there’s no run at Walmart on those Walmart-brand crispy, cream filled waffle cookies!!!   :o  :huh:  :mellow:  :(

I gotta get out of here!  I’m s’posed to have surgery today!  
I know!  I’ll get a proxy buyer

5 hours ago, paisano said:

:rolleyes:  :lol:

Aside from the Chicken Littles, who are buying guns and ammo just to feel like they're in control, the fact is if this gets a lot worse soon you'll have to worry about people breaking into your house to steal anything they can find. They're no longer going to be just after your TV, computers and jewelry. If they're having trouble finding food and medical supplies that'll be fair game as well.

1 hour ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I know people who went out and bough a pistol after 9/11and had never touched a gun nor even considered owning one.m. It made them “feel” safer I guess. I explained to them as I was teaching them about their guns that  1. the attacks had been on airliners and you cannot take your pistol on a plane and that  2. The likelihood of another attack was very very slim. 
Fear, although often irrational, is a strong motivator.

Same thing happens over and over again, some for different reasons, some for the same reason.

Remember Y2K? The World was going to end because the computers wouldn't know how to read 2000. Airplanes were going to crash, banks fail, power was going to go out, grocery stores running out of food, blah, blah.......run, buy guns/ammo.......nothing happened. Now what am I supposed to do with this stuff?

9/11 were're gonna get invaded....run, buy guns/ammo. No one invaded. Now what am I supposed to do with this stuff?

Obama might get elected.....run, buy guns/ammo. Nothing substantial (gun wise) happened. Now what am I supposed to do with this stuff?

Clinton might get elected.....run buy guns/ammo. Didn't happen. Now what am I supposed to do with this stuff, including that $2500 AR that's worth $800?

Corona virus might kill half of the worlds population.....run, buy guns/ammo. Not going to happen if simple, temporary precautions are heeded. Now what am I supposed to do with this stuff?

We'll see this again in the fall season as the election rolls around. It'll be followed by a baby boom in the winter which will be followed by a big private owner gun/ammo sell off. Then something else will come around and the cycle will begin again.

Your right Bob, fear will make usually rational people irrational and sometimes dangerous.

Edit, I like your new avatar....is that cases of toilet paper and hand sanitizer in the background? Just kidding ya .

it is Mad Max syndrome.  Society breaks down and next thing you know, we are all racing across the desert in incredibly cool cars fighting over food, water and gasoline.

Guess I watch too much tv and read too many books.  This sure feels like the beginning of Stephen King's The Stand.  Captain Tripps is coming!

HUMONGOUS.jpg

10 hours ago, paisano said:

PRVC -  Pozo River Vigilance Committee, Santa Margarita California (close to San Luis Obispo), has cancelled its March 28, regular monthly match.

———————————————

“Therefore, we have made the decision to sit this next match out - March 28 - with the hope that we have a better handle on things as we move towards the April and future matches.”

image.jpeg.d79b5f78e83bdcadbf6103c5ca1f6b2e.jpeg

Archived