SASS Wire Forum

Ides Of March/Florida State Championship Postponed

Cypress Sun

The Ides has been postponed due to the Corona Virus. No date has been determined for rescheduling. That's all I know at this point. Official details are below. Damn, I was looking forward to this match but leery, because of the virus, at the same time. I know it was a tough call, these folks put in A LOT of time, effort and money into this match....it has to be heartbreaking. :(

https://actionshootingnetwork.com/lcp

Was talking about the possibility of this happening with Smart* at Dark Day on the Santa Fe.  The Maryland Governor enacted the same 250 limit on gatherings last week and I had initially thought it was a National ban.  When I researched it and found it was being enacted at the State level, I thought Maybe, Just Maybe, the Ides would still happen, but alas it appears that will not be the case.  :(

While I am extremely disappointed with the cancellation, everyone needs to understand the severity of this virus.  It is transmissible by aerosols (cough & sneeze), and by surface contagion (someone sneezes into their hands then grabs a door knob) for extended periods.  Eventually everyone will have been exposed to it, EVERYONE! 

The goal is to slow the spread of the virus for two reasons.  The first is to slow the rate of infection.  A very significant percentage of those who become infected will require hospitalization for extended periods and require assistance with breathing via intubation and ventilation.  There is not enough hospital capacity in the entire US to support the projected number of patients that would require simultaneous care if the spread is left uncontrolled.  The system will collapse under the load.  If the rate of spread is slowed so that the medical community can keep up with the number requiring hospitalization there is a chance that we, as a Nation, will come through this intact.  I'm not saying it won't be ugly, if the projections hold it will, but at least we won't have people dying at home or in the streets because there was no room at the Hospital.

The second and equally important reason is that if the spread can be slowed enough, then the likelihood of having a vaccine ready for distribution before the majority of the population gets the virus is much higher thus easing the burden on the medical system, Doctors, and Nurses.  The timeline I am hearing is that a vaccine will be ready sometime this fall, but it is anybody's guess if that will be the case or if it is wishful thinking. 

If you want to understand why the limitations are being put into place by .Gov's, the linked article gives a very good explanation of why it is important and the dangers of unfettered exposure as far as the transmission of the virus.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/world/corona-simulator/

Those most at risk, of course, are the elderly, those with compromised immune systems or issues with their lungs or breathing as the Virus appears to predominantly attack the lung tissue.  Looking at the age distribution in Sunny Florida there are a lot of people who will be at risk.  While I truly an saddened by his turn of events, I would be even sadder to loose my Florida Pards to this disease.

Looking at the tiny bit of bright side in this, at least, the cancellation was early enough that I can cancel our hotel reservations and Lil Feathers return flight.  She left on a plane for home today for three day and was returning on Wednesday evening.  I guess I will spend the day tomorrow and pack up for the return drive home.

Be safe and well everyone so I can see you all Next Year (or maybe at the 2020 Ides - Redux if the schedule works out for us)

Dogmeat Dad

P.S. I am not a medical doctor nor do I play one on TV, I just read a lot (maybe too much), although I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express during Darkness Falls and Dark Day on the Santa Fe.....  :P

Thanks to Smart* and the Lake County crew for all the work they put into this match. Unfortunately the postponement had to happen. Looking forward to coming back down to shoot with you at the rescheduled Ides. Depending on the date and our shooting schedule, we'll be back down. See ya then.

Hope things calm down soon and this is the worst we have to deal with.

The decision, I am sure, was not made lightly and I believe that the LCP gang thought right up until the last minute they'd be able to pull it off.

I applaud their courage to make this choice.

Waimea

Just popped back into this thread to give everyone some additional information.

The Governor of Maryland just closed all bars/restaurants/movie theaters/gyms closed effective 1700 today with no social gatherings more than 50 people.  This carries the force of law and violators will be prosecuted. An additional 1,000 National Guard troops have been activated and they will assist in enforcing these measures.  I didn't catch an end date, but I suspect that will be a moving target.  Restaurants can still do delivery and grocery stores will remain open, although I have no idea how they will enforce the 50 person limit, there were 50 people in the checkout line at Costco this morning!

It's too late to buy TP, Kleenex, etc (at least around the Dunedin, FL area - I checked) but as fair warning, there is still time to stock up on your favorite brand of disinfecting Alcohol!

Best-High-Proof-Bourbon-Whiskey-V2.jpg

With New Mexico just instituting a limit of 100 persons, I suspect we will all be migrating to the 50 person limit in the near future.  I also won't be surprised if this condition persists until sometime in late April or early May.  Be safe everyone!

Archived