SASS Wire Forum

Championship Level Shooting

Artie Fly, SASS #25397

6 hours ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

And I will totally disagree with you on that.  It IS an extra difficulty factor, and Sharpshooters will always place down lower in the overall standings.  Sharpshooters are only competing against other Sharpshooters, but it is a timed match, is it not?  Speed within the category is just as important as speed is within other categories (or the entire match), same with transitions.  Dusty Leather is pretty darn fast at regular distances, but he is also impressively fast at the longer targets, which is why he wins the category at the Texicans.

Well ya gotta love the English language.

Sorry, it's only "extra" if it doesn't exist in the standard SASS format.

Accuracy, precision, speed, etc all exist. The distribution and emphasis is simply altered.

Looking forward to your rebuttal.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

...Looking forward to your rebuttal.

You can look forward to it all you like.  I don't think you understand what I am saying, and I don't like to argue for the sake of it.

6 hours ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

You can look forward to it all you like.  I don't think you understand what I am saying, and I don't like to argue for the sake of it.

You see, here's the problem. You and the person that liked your reply make statements that when challenged refuse to support. You and Brazos John then put the blame on a failure of those opposing your position to "understand". Perhaps clarifying your claim (and Brazos John's), about this "Extra" challenge isn't doable???

And darn Abilene, I thought we were friends. I guess it's the Cowboy Way to pretend that not only are we "Cowboys", but that we're friends too. 

Phantom

Not to fan a fire or agree/disagree on any particular usage of words, but after reading the more recent post,

I'm now intrigued by this "extra difficulty factor".

Can someone please explain and clarify.  

Respectfully.....Thanks.

..........Widder

1 hour ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Not to fan a fire or agree/disagree on any particular usage of words, but after reading the more recent post,

Respectfully.....Thanks.

..........Widder

I think the extra difficulty factor takes place when we are forced to use your favorite gun lube! :P

Kajun

5 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

You see, here's the problem. You and the person that liked your reply make statements that when challenged refuse to support. You and Brazos John then put the blame on a failure of those opposing your position to "understand". Perhaps clarifying your claim (and Brazos John's), about this "Extra" challenge isn't doable???

And darn Abilene, I thought we were friends. I guess it's the Cowboy Way to pretend that not only are we "Cowboys", but that we're friends too. 

Phantom

Gosh, I think I just got my first personal insult from Phantom.  Well, since you brought it up, I like you a lot more in person than I do on the Wire.

1 hour ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Respectfully.....Thanks.

..........Widder

We're talking about Sharpshooter category here, which is an optional category at a few clubs.  Shooting pistol targets at 10-15 yards vs. 5 yds, and shooting rifle at 50-80 yards vs. 10-15 yds.  In my mind, that is extra difficulty.  Those who shoot Sharpshooter category are simply shooting a much more difficult SASS match that coincides with the standard match.  Yeah the targets are beyond SASS recommendations, like many other clubs have them closer than recommended.  People do it for the challenge or because it is different.

You're welcome.  :)

3 minutes ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Gosh, I think I just got my first personal insult from Phantom.  Well, since you brought it up, I like you a lot more in person than I do on the Wire.

We're talking about Sharpshooter category here, which is an optional category at a few clubs.  Shooting pistol targets at 10-15 yards vs. 5 yds, and shooting rifle at 50-80 yards vs. 10-15 yds.  In my mind, that is extra difficulty.  Those who shoot Sharpshooter category are simply shooting a much more difficult SASS match that coincides with the standard match.  Yeah the targets are beyond SASS recommendations, like many other clubs have them closer than recommended.  People do it for the challenge or because it is different.

Thanks Abilene.

To me, the more difficulty degree would be determined by the speed (and of course the persons rifle sights set correctly) of

which a person wishes to engage distant targets.   If the equipment is set up correctly and a person has reasonable eyesight,

distant targets would seem to be just another competitive part of the game, no more/no less than the other aspects of

our shooting game.

When I use to engage in distant shooting (varmints and mud turtles at 150+ yards) I had a 'pistol' that was set up

to hit those critters at that distant.   I just couldn't do it fast.   I had to settle my sights and control my trigger pressing.

But I got the job done.   But when ole Mr.Squirrel settled hisowndangself down on a tree limb about 40-50 feet up,

I was a little faster on the trigger of a good .22 rifle..... and I got the job done.

Its all relative...... atleast thats my thoughts on it.

Have a good day and keep em smoking.

..........Widder

25 minutes ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Wasn't an insult. It was an observation. Perhaps I like YOU better in person than here on the Wire...

Is running guns fast easy??? Answer: no it is not. Yet you dramatically reduce this aspect of the game in your Sharpshooters category. You shift the skill set to acquiring distant targets. There is no "extra" difficulty here.

However, if you and Brazos John feel that it takes no skill to run our guns fast, then...

Phantom ( same in person as I am on the Wire... Ask me these questions in person and you'll get the same arguments from me)

1 hour ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

We're talking about Sharpshooter category here, which is an optional category at a few clubs.  Shooting pistol targets at 10-15 yards vs. 5 yds, and shooting rifle at 50-80 yards vs. 10-15 yds.  In my mind, that is extra difficulty.  Those who shoot Sharpshooter category are simply shooting a much more difficult SASS match that coincides with the standard match...

Sounds like something I would love to try. Any chance you could list the clubs that offer this? I'd like more information.

Thanks.

6 minutes ago, Dantankerous said:

Sounds like something I would love to try. Any chance you could list the clubs that offer this? I'd like more information.

Thanks.

Howdy, I mostly just shoot locally, so the only ones I know of are Texas Historical Shooting Society near Columbus, TX, and Texican Rangers near Comfort, TX.  If a club already has Cody-Dixon targets, then it would be pretty easy to set up.

2 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Phantom ( same in person as I am on the Wire... Ask me these questions in person and you'll get the same arguments from me)

I’ve never met you in person, though you did promise you were coming to Georgia so there’s still hope. Therefore I can’t comment from personal knowledge. However, I have had at least 5-6 people who’ve followed our Wire exchanges tell me that you’re very different in person (much nicer). They meant those comments to reflect well upon you, so I tend to believe them.

Maybe they’re wrong, or maybe you’re not the best judge of how your posts come across sometimes?

As you said to Abilene, that’s not an insult, it’s an observation.

Now to the topic at hand, I tend to agree with you and Widder. Adding Sharpshooter type distances increases the accuracy challenge while decreasing the challenge of running the gun. I think the net effect varies depending upon the person. Accuracy has always been easy for me. If I can see it, I can hit it. Running at high speed is harder, for me. So for me Sharpshooter might actually be easier, though less fun from my perspective.

1 hour ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

I’ve never met you in person, though you did promise you were coming to Georgia so there’s still hope. Therefore I can’t comment from personal knowledge. However, I have had at least 5-6 people who’ve followed our Wire exchanges tell me that you’re very different in person (much nicer). They meant those comments to reflect well upon you, so I tend to believe them.

Maybe they’re wrong, or maybe you’re not the best judge of how your posts come across sometimes?

As you said to Abilene, that’s not an insult, it’s an observation.

Now to the topic at hand, I tend to agree with you and Widder. Adding Sharpshooter type distances increases the accuracy challenge while decreasing the challenge of running the gun. I think the net effect varies depending upon the person. Accuracy has always been easy for me. If I can see it, I can hit it. Running at high speed is harder, for me. So for me Sharpshooter might actually be easier, though less fun from my perspective.

I hope I'm the same person regardless of where I am. That said, I might have a slightly higher tolerance in person because we are usually at a match and I for one do not want to ruin one's Cowboy Action fun. Push a bit, I'll become more aggressive as I would think most will...push a bit more and I usually go nuclear. 

I think  you're spot on regarding the Sharpshooter category and is right in line with what I've been saying. My objection of the phrase used (Extra Challenge), is that it's a faulty phrase in the context of CAS as "Distance" is a basic element of our game...that the Sharpshooter category simply skews the skill set from Speed to Distance.

And I consider Abilene a friend regardless of what is said here. Am I disappointed that he brought in personal issues into the discussion, yes. I'm always amazed that folks just can't debate cleanly. Attack my position(s) is absolutely fair game! But simple ad hominem attacks are just frustrating and sometimes leads to me going nuclear.

Phantom

Jumping in again at the 3rd page of this thread.

I recall reading the emphasis in Cowboy action is on action. That requires close targets.

Having thought some, I don't mind more distance in side matches. I don't even mind if some side match becomes the goal of the sport over time.

But having thought some, I am not in favor of a course of fire where some (even by personal election) use more difficult targets. That would be a different match. A different competition. A mixed posse. Just not working for me.

I'm reminded of the story concerning  one of our top shooters (a world champ many times).  This was over 10 years ago.  Folks commented how fast he was and a great guy as well, but the wondered how well he would do with accuracy.

So for fun, he shot the long range rifle side match.  Of course, he won it hands down.  Some folks were surprised.

Most the top shooters I know practice pretty much everything - including long shots and shots on small targets.  So they are just so much better prepared than those of us who enjoy the sport but for whatever reason do not have (or take) the opportunity to practice as they do.  Now I know there is a lot of skill involved as well, but a surprising amount of folks could have that skill with similar practice, etc.

Me, I just love to watch great shooters in action - and see just how well I stack up to their performance, usually knowing I won't perform to that level.  If they have to shoot a different course, I could not compare how I was doing.

Sharpshooter and Cody Dixon both Throw a different degree of difficulty. Believe if it not. Every time I have shot sharpshooter I wound up engaging the wrong set of targets at least once in the match. Unless the TO, spotters or whomever catch you, it’s 10 misses :o :( not a P!  That’s why I don’t shoot sharpshooter any more. But as I’ve said, Cody Dixon is my favorite category. I just like it. Are my stage times as fast? No. Typically 7-10 seconds slower. My pistols & shotgun I shoot pretty much the same, so the biggest difference is rifle, it just takes a tad longer to lock onto the target. So yes, it is more difficult. But I like it. 
Some like shooting BP. Yes it’s more difficult than smokeless. Going to be a tad slower. Shooting frontiersman adds another layer of difficulty.  But every competitor works his guns as fast as he can.   Maybe I ought to try BP Cody Dixon! 

Archived