SASS Wire Forum

gun cart

PW McKlintock

It looks like it would be rather front-heavy with that box so far out front.  Is the handle secured well enough to withstand all that front weight?

By the way, I like the use of the suspender loops.

A friend of mine has one similar. He has had issues with the handle cracking after using it on rough ground, which our range has in abundance. Something to keep in mind.

Looks good:) As others have noted I suggest another handle, one on both sides with a cross piece (1x4) on the back to stiffen it . That could also be the back of a tray for drinks and what not. I have built a couple of Rollin Krapps designs which are very similar (Fort White Folder & Rough Rider). I carry a  folding chair with mine so I use canvas Igloo coolers for ammo box. Good Luck:)

Not trying to pile on, but I do think that the handle will be a problem. Good news is that you have shown you have the talent to fix it before in fails

interesting setup , wheel barrow handle ? looks like the guns will be well secured , is there a front wheel or only the rear ? i would like to see it with everything in place to see how the balance point falls , looks nice , 

Run a brace from the about a foot up the handle to where the box meets he base and it will give your some structure to offset the torque on the handle

or a steel cable on both sides run up to the handle at a 45 degree angle so that when you tilt it to roll the weight of the box isn't completely relying upon the handle where it is attached to the bottom.  You have a tremendous stress point on that handle and it will break where it is attached and I would suspect it won't take more than a couple of matches.  I suppose a handle of steel would also work.

Nice work!  I agree with many of the responses that the handle attachment is going to be a problem. Also, I think you will find that the box is too large and sits way too forward of the wheels.  Having made quite a few carts myself, I found that a box that is about 18X12 inches is a good size.  Boxes need to be well back toward the wheels.  Boxes that are too large can create issues, either lift off boxes or ones that are intergal to the construction.

Blackfoot:FlagAm:

I appreciate all the feedback, ill try to make it stronger for sure, i loaded it with 200 rounds, 4 guns and 2 boxes of shotgun shells.

Iran it through the yard, it seems ok but I will reinforce it. The box on the front is 16"w x 9" d x 9"h, fairly small I hope it holds.

Thanks again

PW, Please understand that we are not being critical. Not all match sites are like your yard. Some have an incline you have to push or pull your cart up, sand, gravel, or tree roots.  You did a great job and your cart looks great. It's just that two handles make this a lot easier and gives you more control. You could easily put a second handle and a piece of wood or metal at a 45 degree angle connecting the handles and the base would give it more strength. This would not detract from the appearance or function.

everyone here is trying to be helpful , that said im pleased to hear your test run went well , you can always modify down the road should it be needed but if its working dont mess with it , enjoy it , 

I like the looks of the cart -- especially using cartridge cases and suspender loops to hold the long guns. Nice. (If I get a chance, I'm stealing the idea, by the way).

I've got to agree with the pards who suggest that the weight of the loaded box might put a bit too much torque on the handle bolt attachment. If you could tolerate a line or two from another 'y'otter' (y'otter do this, y'otter try that):

A couple of supports run from each end of the gun rack down to the cart base where the box sets would likely make the set-up a bit sturdier. Attaching the struts with hanger bolts and wing nuts would help keep the cart easy to set up and knock down.

A single handle does have a problem with side-to-side torquing. If you are committed to a single handle, then a triangular piece at the bottom of the handle, as wide as the cart, running about a foot or so up the handle, and firmly attached to the handle (screws and glues, I always say), and attached to the cart bottom with bolts and wingnuts should give the lateral stability the other pards are talking about.

ETA: From these and other pards' comments, you might have noticed a theme -- when it comes to stability, triangles are your friend.

Regarding the gun rack, the grain goes cross-ways on the fingers between the guns. That can be vulnerable to breaking on light or soft stock. There's a few different ways to skin that cat:

- Drill into the fingers from the tips toward the back, and glue in dowels or (keeping with the cartridge theme), long gun cartridges.

- Pre-drill the fingers from the tips toward the back,, and screw in a bolt or screw that runs almost (not quite) completely through. Decorative screws are available.

Image result for decorative screws

- Attach a small piece as a brace under each finger between the gun slots, that connects the slotted bar with the vertical back.

- Double up on the bar

Again, not an engineer, and not anywhere near as experienced with carts as most of the pards above, but heck -- even a blind hog finds an acorn oncet in a while.

Archived