SASS Wire Forum

Coil Mainspring

Major Crimes

So my main spring broke today (hammers gone sloppy between the 2nd last and last stage for the day) and I am looking for parts for a Uberti 1866 (not easy in Aust, and our dollar is about .63 US cents at the moment:wacko:).

At the moment my options are an 1873 competition mainspring (waiting to hear if that fits an 1866) or:

Coil Mainspring Conversion Kits, Uberti

Has anyone tried one of these?

What do you think?

coil-main-spring.jpg

You may wish to try making your own spring(s).  I’ve made gun springs, and it requires proper round or flat spring stock, proper heat treating, attention to detail.  It’s something anyone can do.  Read on.

WEAR SAFETY GLASSES IF YOU TRY THIS!

I think you might want to go on YouTube and do a search for either:

—  make a leaf spring for firearm gun

—  make a coil spring for firearm gun

—  gunsmithing make spring

— (search for videos like that)

You will probably need either some leaf spring stock or some round spring wire, which you may be able to buy locally at a hardware store or a machine shop, OR just order spring stock from the Brownells Catalog:

1-(800) 741-0015

http://www.brownells.com

For tools, you will need a small gas torch, some small, various size punches to act as mandrel to wrap or form coil spring stock on.  You’ll probably need a micrometer to measure the thickness of existing coil springs and flat springs.

You will also need a small pair of vice grips and some small needle-nose pliers, among other tools, maybe a small vice, a rotary tool, like a Dremel, (or similar), small files, dikes, etc.

You can probably use your kitchen stove oven to heat-treat your new spring.  Be careful of the temperature during heat treat.... the videos may help with this.  The Brownells catalog has a wealth of info about things like this.  Check there, too.

Watch the various videos related similarly to your work and see what you can find, things you need and how to proceed.  It will probably be interesting, anyway....youtube usually has something.

OR, you can take your gun to a gunsmith.  It helps if he DOES know, but he may not need to know, a great deal about your specific rifle to obtain or make a spring.  (Bring ALL the parts and broken parts.)

Cat Brules

I had problems with my '66 for whole season.  

Lots of light primer hits.

Tried many aftermarket springs, and one coil spring setup.  None of them worked for me.

Ended up getting a few springs from VTI and having a fellow cowboy shooter grind them, and fit them to my rifle.

I tried the coil spring conversion in one of my rifles. Worked very well, no problems at all. It was the one slix springs has.

Major Crimes, maybe a bit late, but the Coil Spring Conversion (Pioneer) you pictured works quite well.  For future reference, springs for 1866, 1873 and Henry are interchangeable.   The Pioneer spring conversion is a "forever" unit.  Bulletproof.

5 hours ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Major Crimes, maybe a bit late, but the Coil Spring Conversion (Pioneer) you pictured works quite well.  For future reference, springs for 1866, 1873 and Henry are interchangeable.   The Pioneer spring conversion is a "forever" unit.  Bulletproof.

Thanks CC I have the spring coming as a quick fix and may look at the kit a little later as my back up for next time.

23 hours ago, Major Crimes said:

The 1873 spring will fit my 1866 so I have ordered it.

Thanks to all for the help above.

I've got special superlight main springs in stock Major, here on the Gold Coast.

Drop in. no grinding please. $65.00 shipped.

54 minutes ago, Jackaroo, # 29989 said:

I've got special superlight main springs in stock Major, here on the Gold Coast.

Drop in. no grinding please. $65.00 shipped.

Jackaroo, do you have a website you can send me (PM me if it isnt ok to post here) and then I can do my shopping in future with you.

Otherwise I will PM you when I am looking for something and you can have right of first refusal.

Archived