SASS Wire Forum

Okay. That’s enough!

Utah Bob #35998

Got a bottle of Bulleit rye, a bag o’ popcorn and Hunters on the TV. No more Corona Covid Crap for me tonight. Done with it.
The sun will come up tomorrow.

Just watched "Top Gun", and "Black Sheep Squadron" is currently on one of my cable channels.  Top Gun has always interested me from the technical standpoint. The F-14, while a good aircraft, was subject to entering an non-recoverable flat spin!  That and engine problems caused the Navy to phase them out.  The deal with "Goose" dying of a broken neck when he ejected into the canopy, although part of the script, was probably a likely possibility due to the aerodynamics encountered in a flat spin.  Not sure of the actual level of forces caused by the canopy jettison thrusters. 

Everything around metro-Denver is shut down.  Have to see if my eye doc is gonna do my cataract on Tuesday.  Hope so!  Dang thing is bugging me, and the right eye isn't far behind!  Right eye scheduled for mid-April.  Like to get both done and healed up so I can get to a match  this summer!

12 minutes ago, Trailrider #896 said:

The deal with "Goose" dying of a broken neck when he ejected into the canopy, although part of the script, was probably a likely possibility due to the aerodynamics encountered in a flat spin.  Not sure of the actual level of forces caused by the canopy jettison thrusters. 

Modern aircraft ejection systems are designed to eject the pilot and crew during a "zero-zero" ejection, that is zero altitude- zero speed. Ejection can be done sitting still on the ground. 

I can't see where a flat spin would make that not able to happen. The canopy would still blow clear of the aircraft. The aircraft would just about have to be falling UP to have the canopy not clear. 

The one thing that scares me more than virus panic is the Federal Government’s attempts to “manage” it.  When I see headlines that Mr. Trump is considering restricting travel within our borders, that’s the limit for me.

Bugger off you elitist Washington tyrants.  I’m responsible for myself.  Try keeping my wife and me from visiting family in another state and votes are going to change.

26 minutes ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

Modern aircraft ejection systems are designed to eject the pilot and crew during a "zero-zero" ejection, that is zero altitude- zero speed. Ejection can be done sitting still on the ground. 

I can't see where a flat spin would make that not able to happen. The canopy would still blow clear of the aircraft. The aircraft would just about have to be falling UP to have the canopy not clear. 

Ordinarily I would agree with you about the "zero-zero" ejection seats, and I don't know if this was just Hollyweird, or based on an actual incident.  It is entirely possible, however, that the airflow over the aircraft in a flat spin could overcome the thrust of the canopy jettison ballistic-actuators causing the canopy to dish.  When it comes to ejection of personnel from aircraft, some weird s#i+ can and has happened.  When Chuck Yeager ejected from the NF-104 (as depicted in the movie "The Right Stuff", the ejection seat followed him after he separated from the seat, and the burning slag from the rocket sustainer motor dripped on his face mask and the seat hit him and cracked the faceplate of his helmet, causing an oxygen fire! Not supposed to happen.  Perhaps the "butt snapper" straps didn't separate him far enough from the seat, but it did happen.,  (I met him about six months later, when my AFROTC group met at Chanute AFB. He described the event in the third person, while showing us the ground-based camera footage.)  

More recently, a B-1B bomber crew had a problem with their aircraft, leading to the decision to bail out.  But the first crewman to attempt to start the ejection sequence got a "no-fire".  He couldn't eject! :o  His crewmembers would not go without him, and stayed with the plane.  Fortunately, they were able to successfully land the aircraft.  The Air Force grounded every "Bone" (the unofficial nickname of the B-One) while the ejection system was checked out.  There was another incident I read about recently where the back-seater ejected successfully, but the pilot did not.  It was lucky for the pilot because something was wrong, and had he attempted to eject he would have been killed!  The aircraft did crash, but the pilot survived.

A number of years ago, I recall the statistics for successful survival of ejection from aircraft was 50 percent!  At one point in my career, about sixty years ago, the designs of some of these systems got so overly "sophisticated" that failures were more likely than not!  Fortunately, tests without live subjects disabused the designers of some of the systems.  As "Scotty" on Star Trek used to say, "Th' more they overthink th' plumin', the easier it is ta stop up th' drain!"

We had a couple (church friends et al) over fir supper, DW made fried chicken and gravy with cream peas, I made cornbread, our friends brought some great smashed taters. Couple of glasses of chardonnay. Life is good, got something for that $#% virus.

JHC

censored-finger.jpg

My wife and I watched 2 great movies last evening. 
“Support your local Sheriff” and “Support your local Gunfighter”. 
After an afternoon of going shopping it was a great way to spend the evening. 

Archived