SASS Wire Forum

Marlin Magazine Tube

Tennessee Snuffy

After 3 or 4 matches, I completely disassembly my marlin and clean the magazine tube.  Each time it is a very dirty.  The magazine spring shows signs of rust and the magazine tube is also rusty and pitted.  

Has anyone ever tried to chrome the inside of the magazine tube?  I have been unsuccessful in finding a 45 colt stainless steel mag spring either.

I am sure that most of the lever action guns  have the same problems.  What's your fix?

Tennessee Snuffy

Not a Marlin, but I  clean thoughly with a brass brush, dry and use preferably a good carnuba wax.     GW

45 colt. My ammo is 200 g rnfp with 4.5 g of red dot. Yep , it is sort of a dirty load but it works for me. 

after I get the mag tube shinty clean, I will coat the tube with balistol then run an oily patch thru the tube so that oil does not drip everywhere when storing the gun upright 

After cleaning/polishing the tube, lube it with a dry lube. I've been using a dry lube made for garage door rollers. It helps quite a bit, but still get some rust. The stainless spring and follower will solve those two. The last time I cleaned it, I tried Eezox, we'lll see how that works!

17 hours ago, Tennessee Snuffy said:

After 3 or 4 matches, I completely disassembly my marlin and clean the magazine tube.  Each time it is a very dirty.  The magazine spring shows signs of rust and the magazine tube is also rusty and pitted.  

Has anyone ever tried to chrome the inside of the magazine tube?  I have been unsuccessful in finding a 45 colt stainless steel mag spring either.

I am sure that most of the lever action guns  have the same problems.  What's your fix?

Tennessee Snuffy

I have the inside of my mag tube hard chromed.

Done 12 years ago added stainless spring and follower. Don't remember if I have ever done anything but run a patch a few times to check for rust.

I'll talk to you at Oak Ridge if you're there next month.

3 hours ago, Tennessee Snuffy said:

45 colt. My ammo is 200 g rnfp with 4.5 g of red dot. Yep , it is sort of a dirty load but it works for me. 

after I get the mag tube shinty clean, I will coat the tube with balistol then run an oily patch thru the tube so that oil does not drip everywhere when storing the gun upright 

Get away from that Balistol.

I won't let near my guns.

Try Eezox....

OLG 

1 hour ago, bgavin said:

Did the chroming also plate the outside of your mag tube?
Or do they mask it off, or ?? to keep the external surface blued?

They masked mine off.

Still blued on the outside.

Any or all of the above treatments will do what you want.

I cleaned mine with a 50 caliber brush and Kroil. After it was clean and dry I coated the inside with Birchwood Casey Barricade, changed to a stainless spring and follower and have never had any more trouble. I re-coat the Barricade about once a year. 

Randy

It’s a easy fix, Clean the tube very very well then coat the inside with car wax. You can use a bore mop for the application process. Replace the factory spring and follower with stainless steel parts. You can find both of them at :

slickmagicguns.com

Archived