SASS Wire Forum

12 hours ago, Michigan Slim said:

Ruger M77 MkII. LEFT HAND. .270 Winchester. Killed a lot of deer with it. My buddy just glass bedded it and put in a Rifle Basics trigger. Made it a real tackdriver.

I would love to have a M77 left hand, Slim!  Great rifle.  Hang on to it!

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I sure am. It goes to my first lefty grandchild. I just saw one just like it in .243. I couldn't drop $800.00 for it though. Mine was $350.00 out the door back when.

49 minutes ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

So, I see several advocates of .308 guns.

Never owned one; but there's a fellow at my club with an AR in .308.  Dang thing sounds like a cannon when he sets it off.  Everybody on the line stops what they are doing, first to stare and then to check to see if they actually have their ears on.

Are all .308s super loud?  Depend on the rifle?  

LL

The muzzle blast out of AR is louder because of the shorter 16” barrel vs the typical hunting rifle 22-24”.  Then the muzzle brake takes about 30% (varies a lot depending on the specific brake design) of that louder blast and sends it down the shooting line.  The blast is not nearly as loud for the shooter.

A typical .308 Winchester report would be indistinguishable from a typical .30-06 Springfield report to the average shooter.

I wouldn't feel bad keeping the Cowboy theme and going to the woods with a Marlin 1894 in 44 Magnum.  240 Grain JSP is a great round for deer or feral hogs.  Stuff that same rifle with some heavy for caliber premium bullets and it would work just as well on most any black bear you will come across in my part of the country.   Dial the bullet weight back a little for coyotes or you could even stoke it with 44 Special loads for smaller varmints.

Once you get out of the woods, you could take it to the monthly CAS match and murder steel with it.

1 hour ago, Michigan Slim said:

I sure am. It goes to my first lefty grandchild. I just saw one just like it in .243. I couldn't drop $800.00 for it though. Mine was $350.00 out the door back when.

Yep, back when I was looking for a deer rifle, I remembered my uncle's old Rem 760 pump that he let me borrow.  As a lefty, I loved it.  A buddy of mine spotted my 7600 (circa 1983) in a pawn shop that looked like it had never been fired.  I got it for $300 out the door.

2 hours ago, Chuck Steak said:

I wouldn't feel bad keeping the Cowboy theme and going to the woods with a Marlin 1894 in 44 Magnum.  240 Grain JSP is a great round for deer or feral hogs.  Stuff that same rifle with some heavy for caliber premium bullets and it would work just as well on most any black bear you will come across in my part of the country.   Dial the bullet weight back a little for coyotes or you could even stoke it with 44 Special loads for smaller varmints.

Once you get out of the woods, you could take it to the monthly CAS match and murder steel with it.

I've got a Winchester 94 and my daughter has a Marlin 94, both in .44 mag. I'd feel well armed with either. Tried to give my son my Rossi 44 but it's not black. Still mine.

In my hunting days I was served very well by a .243 bolt action rifle. It took critters up to mule deer easily. I had a Remington and a Savage. Both good rifles.

If I ever start hunting again it would be at the top of the list.

About five years ago I was fortunate enough to get myself a 3-barrel thing and I've used it ever since.

Drilling01.jpg.fbf68f2de9765695d87c90f1c2c9598f.jpgDrilling02.jpg.11a291712c3dc35eb54c8ac6f31cc041.jpg

It's a 1939 JP Sauer und Sohn drilling. SxS 16ga over 8x57 JR.

It's light weight, accurate, and handles well. The ammo is a little tricky to find but once or twice a years someone usually gets some in. The only thing I am not too fond of is that its so light weight that the recoil from the rifle barrel is pretty stout.

1 Rifle Only, and not have regrets taking it on any hunt in North America?

Remington 700 CDL in .35 Whelen.   Use cast bullets for the small game (any animal I can carry or drag at least a mile), and 250 grainers for DRT purposes.

Wait, that's one that is in my safe.   Whew, guess it's OK, then.    :lol:

Of guns I own, Savage pillar bedded in McMillan stock - mostly because I worked up accurate handloads for it - and put a leupold on it that cost twice what the rife did and which lets me see and hit my target. Guns I don't own - Winchester 1886 in 45-70 modern manufacture with full magazine - with modern 45-70 loads you could hunt virtually any game in the world short maybe of elephant. Handy guns that I own - an AR15 in 300 Blackout - can load it up or down with loads that range from a +p 45 Acp on up to the old 30-30.

One rifle... well sort of.  I bought a Handi Rifle in 45-70.  I then ordered barrels (back when you could get new barrels for them) in 30-06 and a heavy barrel .223.  Between the 3 calibers, I figure I am good to hunt anything in North America.

Just for fun, I ordered a 50 cal muzzle loaded barrel for a NEF 12ga.  So with the addition of the shotgun receiver, I can now hunt bird and take advantage of Black Powder seasons.

Still looking for a nice case I can put it all into.... :)

1 hour ago, Diabolical Dave said:

About five years ago I was fortunate enough to get myself a 3-barrel thing and I've used it ever since.

It's a 1939 JP Sauer und Sohn drilling. SxS 16ga over 8x57 JR.

It's light weight, accurate, and handles well. The ammo is a little tricky to find but once or twice a years someone usually gets some in. The only thing I am not too fond of is that its so light weight that the recoil from the rifle barrel is pretty stout.

Dave, that is VERY sweet~!!  ^_^

Ya got me beat by one barrel.  :rolleyes:

CapeGunleftlock1.JPG.e9aba1075bc20a3253420d5b4c13c30f.JPG                  CapeGunbreech.JPG.0b00324be473be6f5bf662a1745bfc29.JPG  

89080304_CapegunMuzzle.JPG.6655d24989dd12a921d88a695f302b3a.JPG

8 hours ago, Marshal Hangtree said:

Yep, back when I was looking for a deer rifle, I remembered my uncle's old Rem 760 pump that he let me borrow.  As a lefty, I loved it.  A buddy of mine spotted my 7600 (circa 1983) in a pawn shop that looked like it had never been fired.  I got it for $300 out the door.

I saw a few in the woods as a kid. Both the pump and semiauto. My uncle had a 7600 that was the sweetest single shot rifle you could want! He wanted me to clean it but I didn't have a power washer at deer camp. lol

6 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

In my hunting days I was served very well by a .243 bolt action rifle. It took critters up to mule deer easily. I had a Remington and a Savage. Both good rifles.

If I ever start hunting again it would be at the top of the list.

Another vote for the .243!

2019 EMs BUCK.jpg

14 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Dave, that is VERY sweet~!!  ^_^

Ya got me beat by one barrel.  :rolleyes:

CapeGunleftlock1.JPG.e9aba1075bc20a3253420d5b4c13c30f.JPG                  CapeGunbreech.JPG.0b00324be473be6f5bf662a1745bfc29.JPG  

89080304_CapegunMuzzle.JPG.6655d24989dd12a921d88a695f302b3a.JPG

I ain't got that beat! That there is a beauty! What caliber is the rifle? I'm jumpin' on a conclusion that the shotgun is 16ga.

When my Dad turned 80 he bought a Ruger 77 International in 243 Win  (full Stock) with a 18.5 inch barrel...

Up until this point he mosty used 7 x57, .25-06, .270 Win. and .30-06 and While growing up in Denmark .6.5 X 55....

He started hunting at the age of 10 ... And never lost a critter that he hit till he got that .243 Win. ...

Well he hit a Mule Deer buck right behind the shoulder at 185 yards , the buck just stood there ,,,, We were a bit shocked ...

By the time he got another round in the tube the Deer ran around the crest of the hill ,,, So we slit up I went around the hill on the Uphill side ...

And he took the other side, when we got around the buck was looking my way giving my dad a slightly angling away shot at his chest at 125 yards or so ...

Bang went the .243 and the buck thought it was off to the races ,,,, My dad a little less shocked manage to put another bullet in the Bucks boiler room on the run at about 240 yards ending the race .... All three shots hit the heart lung area ....

Two weeks later We were sneaking through the river bottom with a Doe Whitetail Tag in Dad's pocket,,, My dad found a shot at 18 yards .... Bang and off to the races she went .... We snuck around the river bottom for two hours and finally busted her out of the brush in front of another hunter who shot and tagged her , his first deer ...

The young lad used a Enfield #4 Mark one in .303 ...

Next week Bob and Dad went Hunting to fill his Whitetail Buck tag Dad found a buck in a fence row at 200 yards , at the shot the buck jumped the fence sprinted for the draw my Dad hit him again on the run at about 240 yards just before he got to the river ... The buck swan the Red Deer River and made it to the bush ....

Last they saw of that deer... They got back to the truck and made the 12 mile drive around to the bridge and back to the brush on that side of the river, but never found him ... Three days later I watched Dad dump a Whitetail buck with one shot at 305 yards with with his .270 Win. the deer didn't make it 5 feet from where it was shot...

Two things We learned from this is that the .243 Win is a poor choice for our Big Bodied Deer and that a short barrel made this even more SO !!!

When I got a Chance, Before Dad Sold it I  checked the loads he was using that claimed 3,005 FPS. and on  my Ohler Equipment it was just under 2,400 Fps...

Jabez Cowboy

Hello again

after thinkin abit and you said just one rifle, I'd go for what we on the far side call a system rifle ( easy barrel change )

Sauer & Sohn model  202 with more than one barrel, cal 6,5x55 and 9;3x62 is my favorite combo

this combo will tip anything you can find in the northern hemisphere :P

regards

Samuel B

5 hours ago, Jabez Cowboy,SASS # 50129 said:

When my Dad turned 80 he bought a Ruger 77 International in 243 Win  (full Stock) with a 18.5 inch barrel...

Up until this point he mosty used 7 x57, .25-06, .270 Win. and .30-06 and While growing up in Denmark .6.5 X 55....

He started hunting at the age of 10 ... And never lost a critter that he hit till he got that .243 Win. ...

Well he hit a Mule Deer buck right behind the shoulder at 185 yards , the buck just stood there ,,,, We were a bit shocked ...

By the time he got another round in the tube the Deer ran around the crest of the hill ,,, So we slit up I went around the hill on the Uphill side ...

And he took the other side, when we got around the buck was looking my way giving my dad a slightly angling away shot at his chest at 125 yards or so ...

Bang went the .243 and the buck thought it was off to the races ,,,, My dad a little less shocked manage to put another bullet in the Bucks boiler room on the run at about 240 yards ending the race .... All three shots hit the heart lung area ....

Two weeks later We were sneaking through the river bottom with a Doe Whitetail Tag in Dad's pocket,,, My dad found a shot at 18 yards .... Bang and off to the races she went .... We snuck around the river bottom for two hours and finally busted her out of the brush in front of another hunter who shot and tagged her , his first deer ...

The young lad used a Enfield #4 Mark one in .303 ...

Next week Bob and Dad went Hunting to fill his Whitetail Buck tag Dad found a buck in a fence row at 200 yards , at the shot the buck jumped the fence sprinted for the draw my Dad hit him again on the run at about 240 yards just before he got to the river ... The buck swan the Red Deer River and made it to the bush ....

Last they saw of that deer... They got back to the truck and made the 12 mile drive around to the bridge and back to the brush on that side of the river, but never found him ... Three days later I watched Dad dump a Whitetail buck with one shot at 305 yards with with his .270 Win. the deer didn't make it 5 feet from where it was shot...

Two things We learned from this is that the .243 Win is a poor choice for our Big Bodied Deer and that a short barrel made this even more SO !!!

When I got a Chance, Before Dad Sold it I  checked the loads he was using that claimed 3,005 FPS. and on  my Ohler Equipment it was just under 2,400 Fps...

Jabez Cowboy

With the results you had I would have sold that rifle soonest.  Nothing like loosing an animal to destroy your confidence in a caliber.

That velocity is way low, even allowing for the short barrel.  The velocity should have been at least 2700 fps out of that carbine.

I have used a .243 extensively, and it will kill any animal if you are using good loads with a good bullet and IF you place the shot exactly where it needs to go.

For general purpose hunting I recommend a 30/06.  Once again, you need good loads with good bullets but it hits with much more authority and will anchor the animal with a hit where the .243 with the same hit will let it run off.  The average hunter is much better off with something heavier.  I have had good results with a 7/08, but have not hunted with it enough to know what it will and won't do.

Both it and the .308 operate at higher pressures than the 30/06 factory loads....

Duffield

This debate has been going on for half a century or more. My particular ONE ALL ROUND rifle would be a bolt action in 30-06 or 308 Win (The second being one I already have). 110 gr bullets for varmints all the way up to the big 220 gr for more dangerous encounters. If a lighter recoil was needed for a smaller frame person, then the 300 savage cartridge would be my choice.

4 hours ago, Duffield, SASS #23454 said:

With the results you had I would have sold that rifle soonest.  Nothing like loosing an animal to destroy your confidence in a caliber.

That velocity is way low, even allowing for the short barrel.  The velocity should have been at least 2700 fps out of that carbine.

I have used a .243 extensively, and it will kill any animal if you are using good loads with a good bullet and IF you place the shot exactly where  it needs to go.

For general purpose hunting I recommend a 30/06.  Once again, you need good loads with good bullets but it hits with much more authority and will anchor the animal with a hit where the .243 with the same hit will let it run off.  The average hunter is much better off with something heavier.  I have had good results with a 7/08, but have not hunted with it enough to know what it will and won't do.

Both it and the .308 operate at higher pressures than the 30/06 factory loads....

Duffield

Duffield ;

As a retired Professional Hunting Guides , my Dad  ( guiding for 10 Years ) and 70 years experience hunting before loosing his first and only animal , it shook him to the core.. He hunted 5 years more till his 86 th. birthday.. Never using the .243 Win again and never loosing another head of Game ...  

As for me I guided for close to 30 years and saw thousands of game animals shot with calibers ranging from .243 Win up to a including the .460 Weatherby and I consider the .243 Marginal for deer And Only when used with a barrel of at least 22 inches, with bullet weights as light as 100 gr. you really need all the velocity you can get ... The 6 mm Remington with it's added Velocity potential of about 90 - 150 PFS. Is where Game calibers start ...

The .25-06 Rem. and up are better choices , I started both my boy on the 6 mm Rem with a 22 inch barrel pushing the Hornady 95 gr. SST at 3,216 Fps. , both now prefer the .25-06 Rem. Shooting 115 gr. Nostler Acubond  bullets at 3,224 Fps. out of it's 24 inch barrel ...  I really like my .270 Win. using 130 gr. Hornady Interbond bullets at 3,223 out it's 24 inch barrel . or my .300 WSM pushing the 165 gr. interbond bullets at 3,226 ... Does anyone see a Pattern ??? 

Jabez Cowboy

16 hours ago, Jabez Cowboy,SASS # 50129 said:

Duffield ;

As a retired Professional Hunting Guides , my Dad  ( guiding for 10 Years ) and 70 years experience hunting before loosing his first and only animal , it shook him to the core.. He hunted 5 years more till his 86 th. birthday.. Never using the .243 Win again and never loosing another head of Game ...  

As for me I guided for close to 30 years and saw thousands of game animals shot with calibers ranging from .243 Win up to a including the .460 Weatherby and I consider the .243 Marginal for deer And Only when used with a barrel of at least 22 inches, with bullet weights as light as 100 gr. you really need all the velocity you can get ... The 6 mm Remington with it's added Velocity potential of about 90 - 150 PFS. Is where Game calibers start ...

The .25-06 Rem. and up are better choices , I started both my boy on the 6 mm Rem with a 22 inch barrel pushing the Hornady 95 gr. SST at 3,216 Fps. , both now prefer the .25-06 Rem. Shooting 115 gr. Nostler Acubond  bullets at 3,224 Fps. out of it's 24 inch barrel ...  I really like my .270 Win. using 130 gr. Hornady Interbond bullets at 3,223 out it's 24 inch barrel . or my .300 WSM pushing the 165 gr. interbond bullets at 3,226 ... Does anyone see a Pattern ??? 

Jabez Cowboy

I can't argue with anything you have said.  The .243 is definately a caliber that calls for all the velocity you can get, reliable bullets and precise shot placement.  The first deer that I shot with mine was a whitetail doe.  The range was about 250 yards and I later chronographed the load at 2633 fps.  It was in the open with no place it could hide, and I kept shooting until the weight of the lead was more than she could carry.  I later started loading a 105 grain Speer spitzer to 3015fps measured 10 feet from the muzzle and it performed much better, but a 25/06 and up would be a much better caliber for all around use.  I have not shot any game with a 25/06 but with a 120 grain Nozler partition it looks very close to a 270 winchester and that has a solid reputation.  I do like my 20/06 for most use, but have gone to a 300 H&H for elk, moose and any other large animal that I might hunt.

Duffield

Kaya has shot a coyote at 197 yards, a 187 lb. Buck at 170 yards, and  a 213 lb buck at 150 with her .243. All one shot kills. Hornady Interbonds hand loaded. All destroyed the heart and lungs. I prefer something bigger like my .270 but she can't handle the recoil due to an injury. I now have NO reservation about her hunting with that rifle.

On 3/17/2020 at 3:29 AM, Diabolical Dave said:

I ain't got that beat! That there is a beauty! What caliber is the rifle? I'm jumpin' on a conclusion that the shotgun is 16ga.

Howdy, Dave!  Back in the 90's a Butterfield & Butterfield appraiser checked out the cape gun for me - it was made by German gunsmith Reinhard Stahl in the 1880's.  He said that it was kind of an enigma; the stock carvings are heavy and obviously German, but he said the metal engraving was likely British.

Correct on the shotgun side ~ 16 gauge.  The rifle side is, I believe, the obsolete 10.5X47R.  I keep promising myself to one day become real ambitious and form brass for the rifle side and buy some 16 ga brass shotshells - I'd love to shoot it at least once!

Barrels are Damscus, but quite beefy; I think it would stand up to mild black powder loads.  :)

20200318_211802.thumb.jpg.dd4176752dc070e9ba27b5eeac0cc87c.jpg       20200318_212527.thumb.jpg.d16de074c9a88a95235992ad1523a4a7.jpg

Archived