SASS Wire Forum

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Jabez Cowboy,SASS # 50129 said:

Looks Wrong Handed to me .....

Jabez Cowboy

All a matter of perspective!B)

Well, with all my choices from the safe, if I had to choose only one it would probably be the Marlin 336 .30-30 that I bought almost fifty years ago.

I know the li'l rifle well.  With its Marble's Sheard front sight and old generation steel Lyman 66 receiver sight, I know it's limitations, and I know what I can do with it - and what I would not do with it.  

Now, how big was that boar??  

Second choice would be my 8X57 Yugo Mauser... Model 70- style bolt handle, Bell & Carlson stock, Beuhler safety, Timney trigger, Weaver K-4 scope in Beuhler 2-piece base and rings.  :blush:

MauserClosed.jpg.b7b13fa2d93aa3c4f3f3886d3070445d.jpg

My wedding present from my wife was a Ruger #1 in 270. I took a nice little six point with it and then put it away. It will never be sold

There are a few very odd, obscure, and impractical rifle/cartridge suggestions listed here for an everyday, do-it-all, general game-getter. :lol:

I've never seen a T-rex, elephant, or herd of small raptors coming at me whilst out hunting coyotes or deer. :lol:

Woods terrain: 30-30 in a Winchester 94 or Marlin 336.

Open terrain: .308 

Since I sold my Remington 673 I am .308 rifle poor. I plan to buy another .308 and I have 3 on my list that I am considering:

1. Henry Long Ranger (sighted) H014S-308

2. Ruger “Gunsite Scout Rifle”. 
3. Tikka T3X Arctic - If I could find the money for this I wouldn’t even look at the other 2.

Like others, I choose the Winchester Mdl 70 FW in .270.

It's the only hunting rifle I own, all my others are play rifles for CAS, or

black guns for shooting High Power matches.

L1001057-1.jpg

If I was restricted to only two for the collapse of civilization, they would be 870 shotgun, and 30-06.
However, it is the toilet paper apocalypse facing me now, so I will make do with my 870 and 243... don't own a 30-06... just a lot of my Dad's old '06 ammo.

They all look alike anymore, but it sure looks like a Ruger to me - the integral scope bases, bolt handle & cutout in the stock, trigger guard, floorplate, grip cap, safety, etc. The bolt seems to be longer at the rear though...

RugerM77.jpg

6 hours ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

I have one chambered in 300 Win-mag.  Since that's the only rifle I have that's suitable for hunting it would have to be my go to.  Failing that, the AR-15 would be my fall back.

You can get an 350 Legend upper for you're AR-15 lower.  Winchester created the cartridge to fit in magazines that fit the AR-15 & meet the requirements of Michigan that require 35 or greater caliber & straight wall case with min 1.16" & max of 1.8".

5 hours ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

What's the rifle, Slim?

LL

Ruger M77 MkII. LEFT HAND. .270 Winchester. Killed a lot of deer with it. My buddy just glass bedded it and put in a Rifle Basics trigger. Made it a real tackdriver.

3 hours ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

They all look alike anymore, but it sure looks like a Ruger to me - the integral scope bases, bolt handle & cutout in the stock, trigger guard, floorplate, grip cap, safety, etc. The bolt seems to be longer at the rear though...

RugerM77.jpg

That;s the one!

40 minutes ago, J.D. Daily said:

You can get an 350 Legend upper for you're AR-15 lower.  Winchester created the cartridge to fit in magazines that fit the AR-15 & meet the requirements of Michigan that require 35 or greater caliber & straight wall case with min 1.16" & max of 1.8".

That's a great idea.

Weatherby  in .300 WBY mag. The .30 cal comes in a lot of bullet weights and if you roll your own you can tailor your ammo to suit whatever you're after. Load down for coyote and deer. Up for for long shots on elk and antelope. 

308 bolt, antelope, deer, elk. light enough to carry all day.

Just had an AR10 built in 308, it's not a carry gun, way too heavy.

We hunted a lot this year, walked many miles in high country. Wind, snow, cold,  just lousy conditions. Lots of hiking in rough terrain, some deep snow. 

20# pack, heavy clothing, heavy boots, etc. Walking around at 8-10k feet all day and I was ready to start getting rid of excess crap I was carrying. 

Lighter is better.

11 hours ago, Jabez Cowboy,SASS # 50129 said:

Looks Wrong Handed to me .....

Jabez Cowboy

Nope, the bolt handle is on the correct side. And yes, I’m in my right mind...

You don’t mention the size of black bears in your hunting area.  225-250# is most common around here. I’ve not heard of one over 300# in modern times anywhere in the state. So my choice is the Savage 16 in 6.5 Creedmore.  When hunting boar and bear, I want a repeater.  The 6.5 Cr is plenty of power for said game, flat trajectory, moderate recoil, decent ammunition selection in all stores.  

If the area has large trophy black bears up around 450# then my choice is the Savage 116 in .270 Winchester.  

My first thought is a Savage 116 chambered in 25-06 Remington.  Then remembering that I had to order cartridges online last season, the 25-06 limited variety in stores crosses it off the list.

with a well stocked reloading shop , it does not matter , on the cal , as long as you have worked up your loads 

the 7x57 , 8x57 , 303 Brit , 30/40 . 6.5x55. will all do the job , I have missed a lot of cartages that will work well 

I am not a fan of 257 or the 270 , not enough bullet weights , to be had IMO 

but to each , his own , as your local area , may require something different , 

Chickasaw 

7 hours ago, Alpo said:

Is it an air rifle?

You appear to be inflating it through a valve on the top. ^_^

My daughter Kaya took that pic just after we gutted my buck. She was laughing so hard I'm surprised she could take the pic.

So, I see several advocates of .308 guns.

Never owned one; but there's a fellow at my club with an AR in .308.  Dang thing sounds like a cannon when he sets it off.  Everybody on the line stops what they are doing, first to stare and then to check to see if they actually have their ears on.

Are all .308s super loud?  Depend on the rifle?  

LL

As I shoot all long guns left handed, bolt action rifles made for right handers don't work well for me.  My big game (dear, hawgs) rifle is a Remington model 7600 pump in .270.  Manual of arms is almost identical to the 870 pump shotgun.  Follow up shots are quicker for me than a right handed bolt action.  I'm working on building an AR upper in .300 BK, just because I want something to augment the normal 5.56 in the same rifle.

Then there's a Mossberg 500 12 gauge, and several .22 rifles.

Glock 19 for personal defense.

Mrs. Hangtree loves her Glock 42 in .380.

Archived