SASS Wire Forum

Spine Surgery - new experience forthcoming

Pat Riot

Well, over three weeks ago I was working on my motorcycle and as I stooped, kness bent but back straight, I felt something slip in my lower back. The pain was pretty intense immediately thereafter but now is greatly subsided. 
I ended up in the ER during the beginning mad rush of “Oh my gawd I have a sniffle it must be Coronavirus!!!” So the doctors didn’t X-ray my back or do an MRI (It’s called triage) and they sent me home with a few pain killers and told me to get a follow up.

Got the follow up X-ray and MRI

Found out yesterday the disc on L5 herniated and worked it’s way into the spinal column pinching the nerves for my right leg, hence my new Festus limp. 
Anyway, I will be having some micro-surgery to remove the disc material that is displaced and pinching my nerves soon. 

I also found out that pretty much all of my “L” vertebrae have issues and arthritis. None of my lower discs are anywhere near the thicknesses they should be. The doctor said someday down the road they will be giving me fits and my response was “Someday?...They give me fits now and have all my adult life. Pain is life for me. When can we fix my nerve problem so I can ride my bike again?”:D

I dearly miss riding my motorcycle. Kind of hard to do when you have partial drop foot. 

I am not concerned about the surgery but I do think there is a planetary conspiracy to keep me from Cowboy Action Shooting. :blink:

I feel for ya pard. About 12 years ago I blew my L4-5 disc, went into the canal and fragmented, was compressing my spinal cord 90%. Weren't no fun. The surgery was instant relief to a large extent. Took over a year for my sciatic nerve to regenerate, but eventually it was like it never happened. I've been lucky, hope you recover as well.

JHC

2 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I am not concerned about the surgery but I do think there is a planetary conspiracy to keep me from Cowboy Action Shooting. :blink:

Go into the surgery fully educated so you can make informed decisions.
An L5/S1 "oops" can leave you in a wheel chair and incontinent.

I took a fall on a hiking trail last October and tail-boned myself really hard.
It took 5 months for the pain to go away.
I got my doc to do an X-ray, just to make of no hairline fractures, etc.

Xray came back:

• Arthritic spine compression
• Aortic atheroclerosis
• Lower lungs are clear
• No detectable fractures
• Constipated

I take Metamucil for cholesterol sweep, and the X-ray picked it up... ;)

Selling off the bike is so hard to do... I'm still dragging my feet on putting mine up for sale.

I have been 5' 10-1/2" in stocking feet all my adult life! But lately, on doctor's office visits, they have had me take my boots off.  The results are that I'm now 5'8" !  :( I have had back problems, and I guess my disks are thinning out!  So far, I've not needed surgery, just some shots a while back.

Pat- Best of luck, Pard!

I hope your outcome leaves you in a better condition to do the things that you love to do. 

Right now, the only way I'm going near a medical facility is if I'm bleeding....a lot.

I can give you a positive recommendation for Dr. Sam Bakshian He is the orthopedic surgeon that did my wife's first surgery.

For pain management, I strongly recommend Dr. Patricia Wynn-Jones.  Believes in more than just pill pushing and far and away the best pain management Dr the wife and I have ever had experience with. 

Get a bone density scan done before surgery.  There are some nasty surprises if your bones are soft and the surgeon is not prepared for it.

Duffield

I had a ruptured disc on one side and stenosis on the other.  My spinal cord looked like someone was pinching a water hose closed. Had a little 30 minute surgery and have been fine ever since.  I know there are a lot of horror stories about spine surgery, but mine was a blessing.

Thank you all very much. I do appreciate the advice and the sentiments. 
My doctor comes very highly rated and is highly regarded. I trust him. 
Since I herniated that disc my pain has diminished. So has the numbness, but every once in a while it reminds me it’s there. A lumbar pillow helps. 

The scheduler is supposed to call me Monday. The doctor says I will be off work for a week or two then I’ll have 26 sessions of physical therapy. 

Thank you all again. :)

I hope everything goes well for you, Pat. Hope to see you back on the range someday, you’re a good posse pard.

10 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

And Father Time is the chief conspirator....

My disc spaces are pretty effaced down at those levels, too. I have pain and get occasional foot drop, but can still ski and hike with a backpack. Monitoring it; if it worsens, I'll have surgery. Everything is just a matter of degree with this...

Good luck PR. I also have spine issues. Luckily I’ve been dealing with it for now. 3 three years ago I was diagnosed with osteoporosis. Had my right hip and left shoulder replaced. When I finally got to a point of getting ready to shoot again. My right shoulder got real bad. Just had it replaced 2 weeks ago.  Because I’m right dominate, doc told me I would never be able to shoot anything that had much recoil.  He said the stem that is driven into the clavicle is to thin and can break, causing an even worse situation.

praying that surgery is a success for you.

Prayers for you my friend. The arthritis on my L-5 is growing faster than the weeds in my yard. My spine surgeon is going through the prep tests in case i have do a third surgery on my neck. Along with April 1st I scheduled to have my gallbladder removed. I sorta think years of pain management starting take toll on it.

22 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Well, over three weeks ago I was working on my motorcycle and as I stooped, kness bent but back straight, I felt something slip in my lower back. The pain was pretty intense immediately thereafter but now is greatly subsided. 
I ended up in the ER during the beginning mad rush of “Oh my gawd I have a sniffle it must be Coronavirus!!!” So the doctors didn’t X-ray my back or do an MRI (It’s called triage) and they sent me home with a few pain killers and told me to get a follow up.

Got the follow up X-ray and MRI

Found out yesterday the disc on L5 herniated and worked it’s way into the spinal column pinching the nerves for my right leg, hence my new Festus limp. 
Anyway, I will be having some micro-surgery to remove the disc material that is displaced and pinching my nerves soon. 

I also found out that pretty much all of my “L” vertebrae have issues and arthritis. None of my lower discs are anywhere near the thicknesses they should be. The doctor said someday down the road they will be giving me fits and my response was “Someday?...They give me fits now and have all my adult life. Pain is life for me. When can we fix my nerve problem so I can ride my bike again?”:D

I dearly miss riding my motorcycle. Kind of hard to do when you have partial drop foot. 

I hope your surgery goes well!  I miss my riding days too, but not when it's cold or raining.  If it gives you any hope Sharyn and I saw a guy on a motorcycle with a sidecar today.  As we were pulling up on him I remarked that I hadn't seen one in years and that it was empty.  Then I realized it had been modified to carry a wheelchair and the guy riding the bike had braces on his legs.   Despite limitations it can be done.

1 hour ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

I hope your surgery goes well!  I miss my riding days too, but not when it's cold or raining.  If it gives you any hope Sharyn and I saw a guy on a motorcycle with a sidecar car today.  As we were pulling up on him I remarked that I hadn't seen one in years and that it was empty.  Then I realized it had been modified to carry a wheelchair and the guy riding the bike had braces on his legs.   Despite limitations it can be done.

Thank you and yes, there are ways. A guy I knew in Oregon, his Dad couldn’t swing his leg over the seat of his Harley Davidsons. He owned several. His drive to ride out weighed his pride. He bought a larger displacement scooter. He could step onto it to ride it. He insisted it was “Bad-boy Black” and dated anyone to make fun of him. :lol:

14 hours ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

Dear Pat,

I hope the doctor can fix you so that you are able to do the things that make you smile.

Best wishes,

Allie

Dittoes to what Allie said so brilliantly!:)

I ruptured a disk and had instant and constant sciatica until I finally had surgery several months later over 20 years ago. I foolishly waited too long and ended up with permanent nerve damage. Get prompt treatment and have a complete and uneventful recovery.

Prayers up for successful surgery & recovery.  28 years ago after being rearended which slightly herniated my L3-L4 disc; I found that a tens unit was very effective at controlling pain while the nerve inflammation healed.

Howdy,

Ive had this sort of surgery and mixed results.

It depends on what you call success, pard.

Maybe we could talk a little on the phone if you get bored.

And recovery will be pretty boring as folks will have to go

live their lives.

Good luck and may the good Lord guide your doctors hands.

Best

CR

Hey Pat,

I had a C5/C6 issue that ended up with a fusion, a chunk of titanium and a chunk of cadaver bone.  Between the titanium and the bone, not sure if I now qualify as a Cyborg or a Zombie.  Surgery did solve my issues.

I hope everything comes out good for you.  Best advice I can give is do exactly what the Dr says, nothing more and nothing less.  I have friends who came out of a successful surgery and then didn't heal well because they either slacked off or over did it during recovery.

On 3/14/2020 at 4:55 PM, Chickasaw Bill SASS #70001 said:

choose the knife man carefully , I have had 2 rounds under the knife , not much better for it 

good luck 

Chickasaw 

Again an example of "not quite the whole story".

An xray of this man's spine looks like a cartoonist's eye view of a termite colony.

8 hours ago, Noz said:

An xray of this man's spine looks like a cartoonist's eye view of a termite colony.

I love Chickasaw Bill like family (actually I love him better than a LOT of my family) but I have a suspicion he may not follow his doctor’s orders perzackly.

B)

Hey, PR, let’s see your X-rays after your finished with your operation. Here’s mine.

0FA81EBC-4BED-4729-AF6B-8EE7004546E9.jpeg

EFA9A29E-5E2C-4ED5-ADAB-C932ADCCF9E2.jpeg

88615E2A-9664-4821-9FFC-569ABFFAAA51.jpeg

9B85538C-DBCD-44CA-B690-23CE5D3FB58A.jpeg

9 hours ago, Noz said:

kinda looks more like a bunch of erector sets , what have been run over with a dozer 

J Bar , ya knoe DRs only have a lic to practice , don't mean they know nothing 

CB 

22 hours ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

I love Chickasaw Bill like family (actually I love him better than a LOT of my family) but I have a suspicion he may not follow his doctor’s orders perzackly.

B)

J Bar , 

ya Know , I is gonna do . what I gotta do to get by . and take care of the family 

reckon that will not change until they throw dirt in my face 

CB 

Thank you all very much. :)

I am scheduled for April 2nd. I have several pre-op appointments.

Yul,

That looks like a zip-tie sculpture! Wow!

My surgery should not include the addition of metal. I already have enough in other places. :lol:

I can relate. My problem is at the other end. Last month I started having problems lifting my right arm above shoulder height. Turns out I pinched a nerve in my c5 vertebrae. I may need to have my neck fused. Not sure when or if cause hospitals are postponing elective surgery that require hospital stays.

14 minutes ago, The Blarney Kid said:

I can relate. My problem is at the other end. Last month I started having problems lifting my right arm above shoulder height. Turns out I pinched a nerve in my c5 vertebrae. I may need to have my neck fused. Not sure when or if cause hospitals are postponing elective surgery that require hospital stays.

Bummer. Sorry to hear that. I hope you get the help you need soon. 

I think the reason they scheduled my surgery is it will be an outpatient procedure at an Ortho clinic and not at a hospital. 
Supposedly I will only be off work for a week. Which sounds short but we’ll see. 

Archived