SASS Wire Forum

I said "No More Guns!"...Yea, right...

Rancho Roy

During the past year I've been selling off a few firearms to help support other hobbies and some travel. I vowed, at 67 years old, I'd stop buying firearms. Most of the guns I sold I never fired!

Out of all the guns I sold, I only regret selling one of them.....A Ruger Blackhawk, 3-Screw, Unconverted, 4.5" barrel in 41 Magnum......Here in Massachusetts a handgun must have been in the state before 1998 for it to be grandfathered, otherwise it can not be transferred in from another state and sold to a Massachusetts resident. (I hate living here but grandkids has my wife firmly anchored...)

So months ago I start looking for another BH/3screw/41Mag.......Like finding a unicorn here in MA!

Wednesday I sold a very nice Remington 11-87 to a fellow and did the FFL transfer at a gun shop that was some distance from my house, but equal distance for both of us to drive. This gun shop had two 3-screw, unconverted Ruger BHs. But both in 38/357 (although one had the extra 9mm cylinder!) ....But I wanted a 41 Magnum...

I left that shop and went two miles to another shop in the area...Just to look around. Sure enough, way in the back of the gun case was a 4.5" Ruger BH, 3-screw.....I couldn't see the caliber, but the bore was easily seen to not be 38 cal. I had him pull it out and nearly pissed myself!!! It was Identical to the one I let get away. He wanted $700....I had an envelope with $600 in it from the sale of the shotgun a few minutes before....I threw the envelope on the counter and said it was all the $$ I had on me. He accepted my offer! And I'm a VERY happy camper!

IMG_20200313_1243427032-vi.jpg

3_124354769_BURST000_COVER_TOP-vi.jpg

But it doesn't end here.....

A few weeks ago, a fellow on this forum  was selling a Lyman Sharps Model 1878 in 30-30 caliber. (Thanks Hillbilly Drifter

These are actually Sharps 1877 rifles, but are called 1878 to celebrate the 140th anniversary of Lyman Gun Sight Company. They limited production to 140 rifles. (this one is #13) The price was VERY, VERY fair and included brass, bullets, dies.....It was listed for a couple weeks. I couldn't believe it didn't sell. On Saturday morning, while drinking coffee and reading this forum, I saw he relisted it. I was sure  he had finally sold it. I emailed him and made arrangements to  send funds immediately. He shipped it before he received payment. Talk about the Cowboy Way! 
 A few days later it showed up at fellow SASS member, Chico's, gun shop......Well, I'm totally in love!  Now I have a 1859, 1863, 1874, 1875 and 1877 Sharps rifles in the rack! Can't wait to take it deer hunting and long range side matches....Look out Deadhead! I'm com'n ta get ya and Lyman's com'n with me! 

IMG_20200313_1241561872-vi.jpg

IMG_20200313_124224098-vi.jpg

IMG_20200313_124246384-vi.jpg

IMG_20200313_124258004-vi.jpg

I made a similar resolution to not buy any this year, and concentrate on selling instead...

... I think I've added seven so far. :mellow:

Great score on the Ruger! Love it!

You have no idea how bad I wanted that rifle! Glad it's at a good home. Keeping my manhood intact was more important! 

I made that promise to myself more time than I can remember, NO MORE GUNS!! Yea right!! I can talk myself into anything! My last two were unfired but not anymore!:o

I do understand this dilemma...

After my one nasty experience with a Ruger Super Redhawk, I swore and up and down I wouldn't have anything to do with 44 mags again.
Now... I have a pair of OM Bisley Vaquero and a Uberti 1873 carbine on the way, all in 44 mag.

Yesterday, I took the Bisley 357 and the Bisley 44 to the range after our weekly trap shoot.
Fiocchi 38SP/158 and Fiocchi 44SP/210, both shot nearly identical in feel and recoil.
Very enjoyable, and with high(er) velocity factory loads.

I bought Deuce's Charles Daly 500 and it is still in CA Gun Jail at my FFL... that should be the last of it.
Any more guns.. I will probably die of old age from CA waiting periods...

I took that Lyman 1878 to the range yesterday........Once again I hate Lyman tang sights. No windage adjustment, no elevation clicks or other markings. Very hard to adjust accurately. Had a hard time even getting on paper.

Pulled that sight off and installed a far superior Marbles.....Windage adjustment, click stop elevation.....With a Lee Shaver "Hadley" adjustable iris eye cupMore Bettah!

Going back today for more testing......

I took that Lyman 1878 to the range yesterday........Once again I hate Lyman tang sights. No windage adjustment, no elevation clicks or other markings. Very hard to adjust accurately. Had a hard time even getting on paper.

Pulled that sight off and installed a far superior Marbles.....Windage adjustment, click stop elevation.....With a Lee Shaver "Hadley" adjustable iris eye cupMore Bettah!

Going back today for more testing......

IMG_20200315_091858671-vi.jpg

That's one of  the things my wife hates about my guns.  I put 'em in the gun safe or closet, and the darn things will breed on me over time..........

RANGE REPORT.... The lead bullets that came with the rifle keyhole at lower velocity. Might be a bore size issue. With enough powder they expand enough to be marginally accurate and no key holing.....3-5" at 50 yds

Jacketed bullets shoot great! An inch +/- at 50 yds and hitting 12" X 12" steel plate at 200 yds consistently......Very pleased!

I ordered some gas check bullets to experiment with and will cast some oversize bullets to try.....

It has potential!

We just put our house on the market

The 1st thing my Wife said was no more guns until we sell this one and get in a new house

Then she told me I could buy 2 new Liberty safes for the new house

Archived