SASS Wire Forum

NRA cancels 149th Annual Meetings

Misty Moonshine

Message from the NRA: 

With our 149th Annual Meeting scheduled for next month in Nashville, we realize many NRA members and meeting guests have questions about the coronavirus (COVID-19) and the potential impact on our convention.

We have been closely monitoring updates from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and Tennessee Department of Health.  In fact, earlier today, a state of emergency was declared in Tennessee.  

Therefore, we have reluctantly decided to cancel this year’s NRA Annual Meeting, planned for April 16 – 19 in Nashville. This applies to allevents and scheduled programs, including the NRA-ILA Forum. We sincerely regret the need for this action, particularly for our many loyal members who join us for this annual celebration of the NRA and our constitutional freedoms.  Details regarding a rescheduled NRA Members’ Meeting will be forthcoming.

Under the direction of NRA President Carolyn Meadows, the NRA Board of Directors is working with the Office of the Secretary in relation to board elections, meetings, and the like.  

Please know that we did not reach this decision lightly. We were ultimately guided by our responsibility to help ensure the safety and well-being of our NRA members, guests, and surrounding community.  

Please coordinate directly with any hotels, airlines or others who have assisted with your travel arrangements. Most companies have announced plans to accommodate travelers dealing with event cancellations.    

Thank you for your understanding and continued support.

The statement can be found here: 
https://www.nraam.org/

11 hours ago, John Barleycorn, SASS #76982 said:

Stupid

I'm betting you'll be back to edit your post within the next few weeks. 

Just sayin.  

Best of health to you.  

yes it is , we have had a number of these come up , not wishing to make light , but this seems to have gotten a lot more hype than the previous and we do seem to survive them all , and it does seem that its media driven , 

i appreciate the medical response to this as i have the past ones , 

based on legislation a lot of tax money going to this federally and at state levels , rather see that some other expenditure focused on a few , still wonder tho ....

media need to divert attention from bernie/biden and onto trump ? is there a shortage of stories worth covering ? locally omar just announced marriage to the guy she was seeing that both of them got divorced over all in this past year , ive seen one state story - near nothing anywhere else ....his wife was right , 

On 3/13/2020 at 8:32 AM, John Barleycorn, SASS #76982 said:

2E0F3006-AB13-486F-9C28-D62462D2DB73.jpeg

Brought to you by all of the "good" folks at CDC who did not want to relinquish control of information about COVID-19, testing by non-CDC labs, and would not consider it a pandemic until late in the "game". It is all about being a control freak, which happens to folks in power. I laugh at the published transmission/fatality rates because there has not been anywhere near the testing done to establish a baseline for how widespread it is. The Trump Administration has now, belatedly, released Federal funds to test anyone who needs testing, but the criteria  for testing a patient is a high fever, cough, and body aches and has to be referred for testing by a doctor. The probability of many younger folks having the virus, but not showing all three symptoms, therefore not eligible for testing, means that they are good candidates for transmitting the virus to anyone they come into contact with. I live in a very rural area of SW WA State, age 67, have a 14 acre mini-farm growing alfalfa and oats for the local beef cattle/horse owners. We used to have a very large vegetable garden but have found it cheaper just to buy fresh vegetables at the markets. We have our usual two months of supplies [food (mainly dried/canned goods and frozen meats/vegetables), meds, the newly coveted TP/Kleenex/paper towels, and alcohol (for internal medicinal use!)] and have not been hoarding anything (went to the local town food bank and made a fairly large donation last week for the many seniors in our area who cannot/will not drive to the Walmart/Safeway 25 miles away). My wife and I only go to the very small local market for a few odds and ends occaisionally and to the post office twice per week. We are watching our own six. Saw on TV today some supposed expert that urged folks to have more than the "usual" 3-day of food supply in the refrigerator to a 7-day food supply. XXX? Obviously this "expert" does not have a freezer or a pantry and relies upon her local sources to do business as usual. It is not business as usual lately. 

Sorry for the long response. I believe that the NRA is being proactive with their decision. I think a lot of other organizations, no matter whether they are gun related, need to be of the same persuasion. It has a new name, social distancing, but the idea is not new. Imagine if the Spanish Flu outbreak of 1918-1919 happened in this day of intercontinental travel.

Flame on!

Regards,

Jim

On 3/13/2020 at 11:20 AM, Dusty Devil Dale said:

I'm betting you'll be back to edit your post within the next few weeks. 

Just sayin.  

Best of health to you.  

And I’ll bet you will as well!  We didn’t get this crazed with H1N1!  We certainly don’t with flu and look how many die annually from that. It’s like we are preparing for hurricanes down here with the only difference being gas is cheap and plentiful!  One more way for the media not wasting a good crisis!  We aren’t China with open markets and backward medical care. A superpower?  Travel by train and you will find the bathrooms on them consist of a hole in the floor!

We have modern sanitation, quality food and wonderful medical facilities and care. I am of the believe that the deaths from this disease will be no worse than our annual flu total. 

well , a couple of my good friends will get to spend more time together this month thanks to this , i am thankful for that , 

its also good to know that the tornadoes did not have anything to do with this since that would have affected folks in that area , and sad that the area has lost this revenue stream , these events do support the local economy , 

"..We have modern sanitation, quality food and wonderful medical facilities and care. I am of the believe that the deaths from this disease will be no worse than our annual flu total. .." 

i agree , and based on that it could still be bad as that outpaced the swine flue already this year , it is the greater concern 

i do believe that those clearing shelves at the local stores are just spending a lot of money in advance of their needs , hope their rent can still get paid , 

On 3/13/2020 at 5:47 PM, watab kid said:

media need to divert attention from bernie/biden and onto trump ? is there a shortage of stories worth covering ?

And 1,441 (today, and still counting) deaths in Italy over last 2 weeks are all due to American Media going after a politician.   Right.

Good luck, GJ

Archived