SASS Wire Forum

Response on the census form?

J-BAR #18287

There are 8 pages of questions on the 2020 Census form.  I understand that a response is required by law.  Which questions does the law require to be answered?  I suspect some may be left blank without fear of consequences.

Got mine today. Only one page for me to fill out. No problem

I’ve been leaving many of them blank for 30 years. 

have also had a Federal housing census taker come to my house. Told him up front that I wouldn’t answer any questions about income. He was surprised, but didn’t force the issue. 

My philosophy is just because a question is asked doesn’t mean I have to answer. 

never a repercussion. 

J-Bar, as far as I can tell, the only question that you HAVE to answer is how many people live at the residence that the form was sent to. I tried to do a little research on the subject but the answers differed wildly. All the way from all questions must be answered or face fines, to amount of people live at the residence. 

Got mine today. No questions, they want me to do it on line. Nope. I'll answer a written questionaire for how many live here....that's it. In past years, they have gotten real nosy....stuff you wouldn't tell people you know, let alone people you don't know. Now they want names, phone numbers, etc.....I don't think so Tim.

Good luck finding the real answer....if you do, let the rest of us know please.

Got mine today.  They invited me to participate in the letter.  I looked back at the envelope and found it is a criminal offense to refuse to send it in. Hell of an "invitation".

I responded on the computer and don't expect to hear any more from anyone about it.

Art. 1 Sec. 2, Constitution of the United States of America:

Representatives and direct Taxes shall be apportioned among the several States which may be included within this Union, according to their respective Numbers, which shall be determined by adding to the whole Number of free Persons, including those bound to Service for a Term of Years, and excluding Indians not taxed, three fifths of all other Persons. The actual Enumeration shall be made within three Years after the first Meeting of the Congress of the United States, and within every subsequent Term of ten Years, in such Manner as they shall by Law direct.

Since the only stated reason for the Census is to determine the number of representatives, that should be the whole of it - how many people are in a household.  The Census should be used for nothing else.

Replied online. About a dozen easy questions on wife and I.       Lots better than the book I got to fill out last time.      GW

1 hour ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Art. 1 Sec. 2, Constitution of the United States of America:

Since the only stated reason for the Census is to determine the number of representatives, that should be the whole of it - how many people are in a household.  The Census should be used for nothing else.

Those are the only questions I answered.  The only requirement is that you respond.  Nothing is said about what you respond to. 

You can ignore it if you wish.

Eventually, someone  will show up at your home.   These people are temp employees sent out to “mop up,” or collect census data from addresses that did not reply.  No sense to be mean to them; they have no dog in the fight.  They get basic training, and an assigned area to cover.  

These temp employees supply their own vehicle and fuel.  They get paid by the hour.....my guess is $17 to $20 an hour.

To get to many people, they must trespass, which they have been told not to do.  Politely send them on their way.  Some may  be insistent, but tell them you’ll call the sheriff.  They aren’t authorized to threaten or start trouble.  Tell them to leave and don’t threaten them.  

Basic household information is all you’re “required” to furnish (see above).  Later, some insistent rat supervisor type may show up.  Tell him/her to leave.  If this one has trespassed, call the Sheriff, who may back their play.  In that case, I would invite them all to leave immediately.

Cat Brules

They sent me the long form last time around and I only answered as to how many people were in the household and ages.  They showed up at my door 3 times and were initially told I had provided all the legally required information and to please leave on the first visit.  At the second visit they told me I had to fill it all out and I responded No I don't leave my property.  3rd visit was a supervisor who threatened to have me arrested and prosecuted.  I told her she was free to take such action as she liked, but that she was trespassing on my property  and don't come back without a warrant.  Never heard a peep

Archived