SASS Wire Forum

Match Directors: What's your take on COVID 19?

Roger Rapid

ECSASS has cancelled our 3-28 match but we didn’t have a choice. Our range, Dare County Shooting Complex, is only available to Dare Co residents as the Dare Co government has closed it’s borders and only allow property owners in or out.  Not a bad idea if your county is an island having only two bridges and one road in or out. 

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At our home club, The Texas Ten Horns, we haven’t made an official decision yet. Instead we are following the lead of the Governor. If the ban on gathering ends as it’s supposed to the day before our match, then we’ll likely shoot. If not, no match. 
If we do shoot we will shoot on the side

of the range that is more

open. Will will also align posse size not to exceed 10 per posse and will request our shooters spread out as much as possible. Also, only one shooter at loading table at a time. 
and no handshakes or hugs. We'll be replacing them with fist bumps, elbow bumps or Boot taps. 
Personally, I prefer to err on the side

of caution. Many of our shooters are in the age groups most susceptible to this illness. 
At the end of the day, this is only a game we’re

playing and if we have to skip a few matches just to keep one member from getting sick and possibly dying then I’m all for it. 

Not to repeat what has already been said, but thinking about all the items that get handled and other risk factors led me to this:

Stay outside, no indoor stuff.

As Hayes mentioned, one person on the tables at a time, even with that, lots of people are touching those tables.

Keep personal space.

If your club uses spotting sticks it's time to stop.

The timer, it would be great if prospective TOs brought their own timers, no sharing.

Brass, have a family member pick it up, or leave it on the ground.

Shotgun targets, lots of people are touching them.

Scoresheets get handed around quite a bit.

We keep hearing that there are probably lots of people who are infected but will never have significant symptoms. Looking at the numbers I think that eventually we're going to find that COVID isn't as deadly as we thought, but is much more infectious than the flu.   Unfortunately, like Brylcreem, it appears that a little dab will do ya. 

Even taking all possible precautions at a match there's a pretty decent chance shooters will be walking through areas where other shooters were, and infected droplets can hang in the air for a long time.

Perhaps I'm overreacting, but I'm skipping matches this weekend.

CBB, No, you are not over reacting. You are just exercising reasonable caution. Just about everything in life has a risk factor. For me, the rewards available must be at least as valuable as the risk taken. Shooting another CAS match doesn't seem to weigh out with the risk of getting it. I've had Pneumonia a couple of times... don't think that I want to risk getting it again.  I'll just stay home and watch one more episode of I Love Lucy.

Snakebite

On ‎3‎/‎19‎/‎2020 at 9:58 AM, Captain Bill Burt said:

Buy Acetaminophen pards, stay away from Ibuprofen. 

If social distancing is working we should see a change in the diagnosis rate within a few days.  Right now we're probably still diagnosing infections that occurred a week or so ago before SD became a thing.  

I'm allergic to both.

I recommend cough syrup. The last time I had a cough (pneumonia), I ruptured my ear drum. How did I know? Blood ran out of both ears and I could not hear well. The x-ray told that it was pneumonia.

In my Federal State North-Rhine-Westphalia in Germany i have four dates CAS to end of may.

All canceled.

Government has closed all sporting grounds next 4 weeks.

11 minutes ago, Revolvgang said:

In my Federal State North-Rhine-Westphalia in Germany i have four dates CAS to end of may.

All canceled.

Government has closed all sporting grounds next 4 weeks.

From what the news is reporting it sounds like you guys are doing a good job of controlling it over there. 

Archived