SASS Wire Forum

Match Directors: What's your take on COVID 19?

Roger Rapid

I know there's another post going on corona virus, but I'd like to dedicate this post to hear from Match Directors regarding your plans for your near-term matches?

RR

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We are setting up steel in the Nevada Sunshine!

Best Shoot by a Dam Site on the first weekend in May is filling up FAST! Get your applications in.

It is a close and fast shoot with lots of old time fun. We will be throwing knives and roping, and flipping coins into spittoons.

And I still intend to be hugging all my girlfriends! :)

5 hours ago, Roger Rapid said:

I know there's another post going on corona virus, but I'd like to dedicate this post to hear from Match Directors regarding your plans for your near-term matches?

RR

Oddly, the other thread has been shut down.  :mellow:

28 minutes ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Oddly, the other thread has been shut down.  :mellow:

I don't think it was odd.  There were people ridiculing others because they want to err on the side of caution and take things a bit more seriously.  Everybody ought to do what seems best to them.  This bug can be spread by people who don't have symptoms.  Some of our older shooters who have serious underlying medical issues might want to think twice.  Some don't care to.  That's ok, but nobody should be talked down to for their choices.

What is our average shooting age for this sport??  Hmmm smack dab in the age of concern.

16 minutes ago, McCandless said:

I don't think it was odd.  There were people ridiculing others because they want to err on the side of caution and take things a bit more seriously.  Everybody ought to do what seems best to them.  This bug can be spread by people who don't have symptoms.  Some of our older shooters who have serious underlying medical issues might want to think twice.  Some don't care to.  That's ok, but nobody should be talked down to for their choices.

I saw people disagreeing but where was the ridicule?  Where was the talking down?  I don't think that's why it was shutdown. 

I cancelled going to Ides of March.  It's a great match and I greatly dislike not going to it.

As a MD in the past and still doing it occasionally, if I had a bigger match (more than 60 people), I'd postpone it.  A local match, I'd put it on so long as we were not in a hot zone.  Life has to go on, but let's not be stupid about it one way or another.

28 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

I saw people disagreeing but where was the ridicule?  Where was the talking down?  I don't think that's why it was shutdown. 

I went back to look, and they're gone now.  Maybe that's a good thing.

30 minutes ago, McCandless said:

I didn't see any ridicule or comments that would warrant the lock down of the post. I think that some folks may have got a little irritated at some of the flippant replies that indicated the lack of concern for others on some peoples part. Some people are taking the virus seriously because they do have underlying health problems. Some people are not taking the virus seriously because they are young, have no other health problems or just believe it is government hype. I think the truth is in the middle between the two. I know I'll take precautions with my health and I would think that others would do the same. 

One infected person will typically infect six more. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to do the math and project the outcome. I will try my best best to not be one of those six, nor the first.

14 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

I completely agree. It was tame, especially when compared to some of the WTC's.

Just a reminder:

The spirit of this post is to learn specifically what other Club Managers and Match Directors are planning to do as the COVID-19 issue peaks:

• How are you handling sanitary issues?

• What instructions, if any, are you giving shooters about their face-to-face interaction with other shooters?

• What are you doing about moving spotting sticks or spotting devices from shooter to shooter?

• What are you doing about pot-luck dinners and open-food situations?

• What other sanitary or health-conscious steps are you taking?

• If you are on public ranges, are the range directors talking about issuing any limiting directives for your club/match?

• Are you telling your attendees anything before they come to a match?

and so on...

This is about our shooter's safety and well being. Please don't hyjack this post with non-health-related issues.

RR

44 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

I didn't see any ridicule or comments that would warrant the lock down of the post. I think that some folks may have got a little irritated at some of the flippant replies that indicated the lack of concern for others on some peoples part. Some people are taking the virus seriously because they do have underlying health problems. Some people are not taking the virus seriously because they are young, have no other health problems or just believe it is government hype. I think the truth is in the middle between the two. I know I'll take precautions with my health and I would think that others would do the same. 

One infected person will typically infect six more. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to do the math and project the outcome. I will try my best best to not be one of those six, nor the first.

I completely agree. It was tame, especially when compared to some of the WTC's.

I was a bit flippant.  Probably shouldn't have been.  I'm relatively healthy and in decent shape for a 56 year old, but I do have some asthma and seasonal allergies, so I would rather not catch it.  I'll shoot Saturday for sure, then who knows. 

I'm not our match director and not talked with him. 

Our first march is about a month from now. A lot may change by then.  But if it were tomorrow,  I'd expect we'd put on the match and let people decide if they wanted to participate or not. 

The Cowboy Fast Draw folks are dealing with this too.

Here's a note from Quick Cal concerning their big matches:

"With everything we are hearing these days about Coronavirus, it is time we discussed it here on the Cowboy Fast Draw Society.

I just got a call from Shady Mike who has heard from a few members who think that the Arizona State should be canceled or postponed, due to the Coronavirus.  With major sports starting to cancel games and even entire seasons and some colleges and businesses closing their doors and telling students or employees to study online or telecommute from home. We, who love to shoot Cowboy Fast Draw need to also assess what we are doing.

We are not a large crowd squeezed into small venues like in the fore mentioned paragraph. But, we are a very socially close group of folks with lots of hand shakes and hugs abound. We are as much a social occasion as we are a competition.  Most of us drive to matches, where we have control of our "space" while traveling. Some of us fly to matches, where you are probably more likely to be in much closer proximity to strangers.

I do believe that all flu seasons are dangerous, and we should all take bigger precautions with hand sanitizing and washing every year. I also believe while the current coronavirus is a serious matter, that it is also being over-sensationalized and perhaps politically weaponized by certain elements of our national media during this very political season.  

I do NOT believe we need to start canceling or postponing our planned CFDA Titled Championship Matches.

I do believe that we should perhaps make a universal commitment, just for the time being, to respect each other's personal space and keep a little more distance than usual. We should resort to fist bumps and smiles, rather than kisses, hugs, and handshakes. Match Hosts, should also be advised to keep some large hand sanitizer bottles stationed around the Shooter Areas.   When this all blows over, within just a few months, we can certainly resume exactly where we left off.

So folks, what do you think?

Hit'em Fast,

Quick Cal, Executive Director of CFDA

2 hours ago, Null N. Void said:

I cancelled going to Ides of March.  It's a great match and I greatly dislike not going to it.

As a MD in the past and still doing it occasionally, if I had a bigger match (more than 60 people), I'd postpone it.  A local match, I'd put it on so long as we were not in a hot zone.  Life has to go on, but let's not be stupid about it one way or another.

May I ask where this 'hot zone' is located the country?

TNX,

OLG 

12 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

TNX,

OLG 

I don't know about 'Hot Zones'... but this is where things stand as of this afternoon.  

1375616090_FireShotCapture960-TrackingEveryCoronavirusCaseintheU.S._FullMap-TheNewYork_-www.nytimes_com.thumb.png.b495550aea2b4b8f34a04e0cc9f7abc9.png

13 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

TNX,

OLG 

New Rochelle, NY and anywhere near the Nursing Home in Washington.  Anyone involved with the Utah Jazz because the infected player purposely handled as much of the reporters equipment as possible, just to be an asshole.  They are going to pop up and may be extensive, or not.  

Hey Quick Cal... old pard... get me a couple bottles of that Hand Sanitizer while you are at the store....if you don't mind. ;)

Snakebite

2 hours ago, McCandless said:

I don't know about 'Hot Zones'... but this is where things stand as of this afternoon.  

What is the link for this map?

I would like to study it more.

I am well over 70 and have a heart condition but, I am basically healthy.  My wife has a respiratory condition and is also well beyond 70.  This makes her a very high risk.  I am much, much more concerned about bringing COVID-19 home to her than I am about getting it myself.

Since shoots are conducted outdoors with lots of personal space I will likely keep shooting but I will probably skip the group dinners and the awards ceremonies, especially if they are in a tent.

53 minutes ago, Marauder SASS #13056 said:

What is the link for this map?

I would like to study it more.

That's I screen shot I took from today's NY Times

16 minutes ago, McCandless said:

That's I screen shot I took from today's NY Times

You can inspect map itself at:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/us/coronavirus-us-cases.html

I can tell you that the map is accurate and current with today's report of a couple of new cases in the state of NM.  Other states - you can validate that data yourself with a little effort.

Good luck, GJ

14 minutes ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

You can inspect map itself at:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/us/coronavirus-us-cases.html

I can tell you that the map is accurate and current with today's report of cases in the state of NM.  Other states - you can validate that data yourself with a little effort.

Good luck, GJ

It's NY Times, and you have to subscribe to see it.

Not sure I'd believe anything they would publish anyway. 

OLG 

44 minutes ago, Crotchety Old Grouch, SASS #51188 said:

We are all grown up and should make our own decisions and let others do the same .

Each of us has a sphere of people surrounding us at work, school, church, CAS clubs, or wherever.  Do you feel any of them should have a say in whether or not you participate and possibly do so as an unknowing virus carrier?  Don't they have a dog in the fight too? 

6 hours ago, McCandless said:

The Cowboy Fast Draw folks are dealing with this too.

Here's a note from Quick Cal concerning their big matches:

"With everything we are hearing these days about Coronavirus, it is time we discussed it here on the Cowboy Fast Draw Society.

I just got a call from Shady Mike who has heard from a few members who think that the Arizona State should be canceled or postponed, due to the Coronavirus.  With major sports starting to cancel games and even entire seasons and some colleges and businesses closing their doors and telling students or employees to study online or telecommute from home. We, who love to shoot Cowboy Fast Draw need to also assess what we are doing.

We are not a large crowd squeezed into small venues like in the fore mentioned paragraph. But, we are a very socially close group of folks with lots of hand shakes and hugs abound. We are as much a social occasion as we are a competition.  Most of us drive to matches, where we have control of our "space" while traveling. Some of us fly to matches, where you are probably more likely to be in much closer proximity to strangers.

I do believe that all flu seasons are dangerous, and we should all take bigger precautions with hand sanitizing and washing every year. I also believe while the current coronavirus is a serious matter, that it is also being over-sensationalized and perhaps politically weaponized by certain elements of our national media during this very political season.  

I do NOT believe we need to start canceling or postponing our planned CFDA Titled Championship Matches.

I do believe that we should perhaps make a universal commitment, just for the time being, to respect each other's personal space and keep a little more distance than usual. We should resort to fist bumps and smiles, rather than kisses, hugs, and handshakes. Match Hosts, should also be advised to keep some large hand sanitizer bottles stationed around the Shooter Areas.   When this all blows over, within just a few months, we can certainly resume exactly where we left off.

So folks, what do you think?

Hit'em Fast,

Quick Cal, Executive Director of CFDA

Nationally, there is a major effort being made to suppress gatherings and contact between people, in an all out effort to arrest the spread of this virus.  A big part of our decision needs to be whether we want to be a helpful participant in that effort, or put our recreation at higher priority and end up being a  contradictory force.  Before it is over, the COVID-19 virus is very likely to kill people known to us.  So do you want to help or hinder?  We need to be thoughtful about how we respond.  Our response defines us, both organizationally and personally. 

Contrary to some postings here, the problem  isn't just media or political hype.  The mortality rate for older folks over age 70 is 80 times as high as for influenza (0.1% for flu versus 8% for COVID-19.) Real people worldwide are dieing hourly. 

Our Match Director cancelled the match for this week. We have two each month and can have 50 to 70 people at the match. I strongly support this move because there is just not enough information to truly assess the safety. Just think of all the surfaces we share at a match: 1 bullet casings and guns at the LT; 2 changing spotters flags back and forth; 3 handing the timer off to others; 4 passing the scoring clipboard around; 5 picking up other peoples bass and shell casings; 6 laying guns down on the ULT; 7 passing water bottles back and forth; 8 signing in on the posse sheet along with writing the check; and, 9 passing brassing tools back and forth. I know these may not seem like big deals, but when you consider all of the little potential opportunities the only safety call is to call off the match.

The other factor is, as someone noted, taking the virus home. No matter how this plays out, I would hate to be the one who contributes to the spread. My wife lives in a Skilled Nursing Home and I am a 77 yo heart patient so perhaps I am a bit too cautious. 

14 hours ago, Roger Rapid said:

RR

Thank you Roger, for posting this.  As I write this, our club directors are wrestling with what precautions are needed for both our monthly match this weekend, and our large annual natch next month.   Our State Governor (Newsome) has

"directed" that all nonessential gatherings in CA must be suspended unless the hosts can assure six feet of separation between attendees.  We are expecting that guidance to become more forcefully applied if conditions worsen and compliance does not take place voluntarily. 

Our club decisions about matches haven't been made yet, but we are very cognizant of the risks, and we are looking here and elsewhere for guidance on the medical and match logistical issues.  There is also the question of how many shooters will voluntarily withdraw, and whether or not an event would be viable and fun without them. 

So I encourage a robust discussion here which will help all clubs to make better decisions.  

Wow... Just read where the LDS Church has suspended all Church gatherings worldwide.   :huh:  

Archived