SASS Wire Forum

March Sadness :-(

I agree.

The way the link read - NCAA says tournament go no fans - I thought it meant they would have their tournament whether the fans showed up or not. I was thinking, "Yes, that's the right attitude".

Then I read the article. "We're not going to let fans in because of the virus."

That is almost as stupid as "we are not going to participate in the 1980 Olympics because it's in a communist country, and communism is bad".

43 minutes ago, Alpo said:

I agree.

The way the link read - NCAA says tournament go no fans - I thought it meant they would have their tournament whether the fans showed up or not. I was thinking, "Yes, that's the right attitude".

Then I read the article. "We're not going to let fans in because of the virus."

That is almost as stupid as "we are not going to participate in the 1980 Olympics because it's in a communist country, and communism is bad".

Actually it was because of the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan.

Ironic isn’t it?

I bet they don't cancel out the Democratic or Republican Conventions.....

which are useless because everybody knows before the conventions who will

represent the party.

..........Widder

With 67 games, there would be more than a million fans involved. One infected fan could easily infect thirty more from diverse parts of the country.  People infected in one game could spread the virus in later games before showing symptoms.  They chose Public Safety over money.

I'd wouldn't be surprised if another factor in the decision-making process was fear of litigation.  I can see the TV ads now......"Did you attend a major sporting event in 2020, and then come down with coronavirus?  We can get you what you deserve!"  The argument would be that any organizer or sponsor of such events would be negligent, given the "national emergency" and the widely publicized risk of exposure, to jam 15,000 fans into a stadium.

If you are the NBA or the NCAA, do you want to spend the next 10 years defending a string of such claims, especially when your pool of potential jurors all experienced the fear of exposure to the virus?

Close the games to the public, and try to save the TV revenue by playing the games in empty stadiums.

LL

6 minutes ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

I'd wouldn't be surprised if another factor in the decision-making process was fear of litigation.  I can see the TV ads now......"Did you attend a major sporting event in 2020, and then come down with coronavirus?  We can get you what you deserve!"  The argument would be that any organizer or sponsor of such events would be negligent, given the "national emergency" and the widely publicized risk of exposure, to jam 15,000 fans into a stadium.

If you are the NBA or the NCAA, do you want to spend the next 10 years defending a string of such claims, especially when your pool of potential jurors all experienced the fear of exposure to the virus?

Close the games to the public, and try to save the TV revenue by playing the games in empty stadiums.

LL

And if a player was shown to have been incubating the virus while playing , thus spreading the virus, his school might be considered liable as well as the NCAA.

WILL THE PERCEIVED EMERGENCY BE OVER BEFORE THE 2020 Tokyo Olympics?  Officials are already considering a one or two year delay.

I bought my wife and our family tickets to Cirque de Soleil in two weeks for her birthday. I have been wondering if they will cancel. 

OMG! Somehow this will turn this into  “the reason the elections weren’t fair was due to the inability to have conventions and “town hall meetings”.

I say “Yay!”

Less Bull S*** might be part of the cure we need.

41 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Next up: Frozen Four, Little League World Series, ....

St Patrick’s Day Parades?

April Fools Day?

the Boston Marathon is in doubt.

Boston's (and Dublin's) parade already cancelled.  And the South Boston diehards are screaming about it, claiming that a pint of Guiness will kill all virus before it can reach your lungs. :P

LL

1 hour ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

Boston's (and Dublin's) parade already cancelled.  And the South Boston diehards are screaming about it, claiming that a pint of Guiness will kill all virus before it can reach your lungs. :P

LL

Savannah's parade has been canceled as well.  The partyers will still show up of course, just no parade.

2 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Next up: Frozen Four, Little League World Series, ....

St Patrick’s Day Parades?

April Fools Day?

the Boston Marathon is in doubt.

Cleveland has cancelled it's annual St. Patrick's day parade. It's a big thing thing here and restaurants and bars look forward to the money they bring in. I'm sure all other bigger cities will be doing the same!

I guess all the major rock/pop/hip-hop acts are going to need to cancel their tours as well.

I just wonder what the IRS and Social Security offices are going to do? They seem to bring in larger crowds than the Rolling Stones from what I've noticed. :huh:

9 hours ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

LL

There's an editorial in today's Wall Street Journal to that effect. "Where there's a coronavirus patient, there's a trial lawyer."

Archived