SASS Wire Forum

Moving targets

Mustang Gregg

I was a range once (in PA or DE?) that had a target that moved down a track.  I was wondering what other clubs/ranges use movers.

I have a shooting gallery-type target project with five 18" steel circles that move in a 44" circle at 15 RPM.

That's fairly slow, I reckon. 

We do not have AC near the range.  So it is powered by a 12 VDC battery.

Video to follow.

What do other outfits use?

Mustang 

Still building targets

Gravity is a cheap and reliable way to power moving targets.  I've seen pendulums, targets on tracks and targets on pulleys traveling on a rope.  Most move quite slowly but intimidate new shooters.  You can buy Texas Stars and don't need to build them.

Texas Star, Clays, a big plate on a cable that slides right to left across the stage. 

A while back I shot a match in SC that had a Texas Star mounted on a railroad car.  You shot the actuator plate and then tried to clean the Star as it rolled towards you spinning, rifle thankfully.  That was fun.

Moved post

I hate having to stop a stage to go forward and reset, so I am not going to use a TX Star.

I have seen an airgun TX Star type target that actually resets using rubber bands.  But that won't work for a main match.

We want to keep a match going and only stop for infrequent prop failures.

Pendulums are cool, and that will be the next project.

I do have a gravity track made for shooting clay rabbits, but some think they are too small when rolling along.

MG

48 minutes ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Tejas Caballeros used to have targets mounted on some kind of springs.  Started bouncing around when hit. 

They were used at Briggsdale Co. too.  Those are great scattergun targets. B)

Local annual shoot, High Sierra, had an ore cart on wood tracks. Shooter sits down, stages all guns on shelf, beep cable pulls cart and shooter shoots targets along the path. When done, motor is reversed and pulls cart back to start position. Very hard to shoot clean.

1 hour ago, Mustang Gregg said:

They were used at Briggsdale Co. too.  Those are great scattergun targets. B)

Here ya go .....

They are used as a side match now. 3 of them spread out with about 12  other targets - clay birds mounted, KDs, spinners etc.

Fall Round-Up at Milan, Illinois has a lot of movement......

The Running Buffalo side match is a gravity buffalo on a track.

The main match ore car that you ride in is on a track and ran by car batteries.

The Medusa shotgun target is of course spring powered.

Plus a Texas Star, shotgun windmill and a swinger.

1 hour ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

Local annual shoot, High Sierra, had an ore cart on wood tracks. Shooter sits down, stages all guns on shelf, beep cable pulls cart and shooter shoots targets along the path. When done, motor is reversed and pulls cart back to start position. Very hard to shoot clean.

That's the shoot I was just thinking about when reading this thread. While the targets aren't moving, the shooter certainly is. That one is really fun. I'm pretty sure I used my purchased mulligan to shoot that stage again, even though I was clean.

1 hour ago, Anvil Al #59168 said:

Texas Tenhorns has a swinger we use pretty much every month.

Do you have to go downrange and reset it each after shooter?

2 hours ago, Yusta B. said:

Here ya go .....

They are used as a side match now. 3 of them spread out with about 12  other targets - clay birds mounted, KDs, spinners etc.

I have shot there before.  Those are a lot of fun.  It can take quite a few shotgun shells.

They changes the rules on them. Used to be you could hit the plate & then shoot the corresponding bird. Now - you have to hit all plates first & then shoot the birds.

At our annual True Grit we have 2 horizontal rotating plates 18" on 3 foot poles that we can control the rpm's as wanted. Behind the rotating plates are Red Cow Heads set up in the middle of the arc on both sides. If you miss the plate and hit the Red Cow its 5sec for the miss and 10 sec for the Red Cow, ricochets count as a hit.   A lot of shooters come away with red cow disease.

The Cavalier Cowboys here in Virginia have a pendulum style swinger, a shotgun knockdown that slides down a metal tract and a motorized star, or just call it a fairish wheel. I have also built a cable slide. Shooting through a waterfall might be my next project. 

yes , shot texas stars and shotgun poppers on several occasions , three gun and cowboy , there was a cable riding target at a three gun but only saw a rail riding target in this venue , i have to admit they add a lot interest wise but yup - that reset can be a real pain 

4 hours ago, Grizzly Dave said:

Eldorado Cowboys - Boulder City Nevada.  

Gravity driven and shooter released - tho rope release by numerous other manners is possible as well.

Have done so with shotgun, swinging bar doors and other methods.

9 hours ago, Mustang Gregg said:

I was a range once (in PA or DE?) that had a target that moved down a track.  I was wondering what other clubs/ranges use movers.

I have a shooting gallery-type target project with five 18" steel circles that move in a 44" circle at 15 RPM.

That's fairly slow, I reckon. 

We do not have AC near the range.  So it is powered by a 12 VDC battery.

Video to follow.

What do other outfits use?

Mustang 

Still building targets

We have a charging buffalo head target that travels toward and then away from the shooter on a roughly 100' cable clothes line set up.  It is powered electrically and controlled by a garage door opener type of mechanism.  

Wolff's Rowdy Rangers two-day match;  Shootout at Shakey's Gulch 2019

Super Stage is two normal stages combined into one.  Super stage starts at 1:19.  Texas Stars (yes that is plural), reactive targets, clays, flying clays and pop can with the run-a-way target (at 2:50).

The Running Buffalo target was designed and built by our club members.  It is gravity based.  When we use the Running Buffalo, we usually start with rifle.  The rope is released on the first shot fired.  Run time for the target is approximately 6-7 seconds.  We also have a Texas Star.

DSCN0177.JPG

In Memphis we have flip the birds, texas star and a swinging pendulum.  The pendulum has a 16 inch round target attached.  There is a lever release in the mercantile stage the shooter hits before firing.  You also reset at the lever, takes about 2 seconds.  I like the running buffalo and will build one for our buffalo range.

Bitterroot Jak

Check with Ace of Hearts in Nevada.  They once had a large side to side target which looked like it was on a garage door drive.  It had a lever to operate it and was easy to reset.  Very similar to their back to front turkey vulture shown above.  If I remember right we shot it with our pistols.  What a blast.

5 hours ago, Matthew Duncan said:

Wolff's Rowdy Rangers two-day match;  Shootout at Shakey's Gulch 2019

Super Stage is two normal stages combined into one.  Super stage starts at 1:19.  Texas Stars (yes that is plural), reactive targets, clays, flying clays and pop can with the run-a-way target (at 2:50).

That is freakin' awesome!  Thanks for sharing.

9 hours ago, Sarge said:

The Running Buffalo target was designed and built by our club members.  It is gravity based.  When we use the Running Buffalo, we usually start with rifle.  The rope is released on the first shot fired.  Run time for the target is approximately 6-7 seconds.  We also have a Texas Star.

DSCN0177.JPG

We've got something like that buffalo, except ours is an alligator (this photo was taken when his body was painted black and his head was painted green with two big eyes).  Your rifle is

staged on the platform, and as soon as you pick up your rifle that rope is released.  The rope runs through a series of pulleys and is connected to the bar suspending the gator. The other end of the bar has a rope that has a weight on it that's hanging down, so gravity pulls the gator.  At this stage the rifle gets shot either first or second.

IMG_3913.jpg

We have a "running cowboy" stage at the Zen Shootists in Nevada, Iowa. Gravity moves down the track. Pull rope to reset. 

Stage 1 Run Cowboy.JPG

22 hours ago, Marshal Chance Morgun said:

Moving targets? Yep. I'm 100% sure that when I miss it's because the target moved.:P

I blame my misses on bad target placement!  Targets aren't placed where my shot went.

We have some moving targets at PRVC at Lazy Arrow that are pretty fun.

• The first one in the video clip below is Mountain Man Mark's Revenge. After hitting the flag target, the cradle and target swing back and forth for a distance of about 25'. We use it for both pistol and rifle.

• The second clip is the Lazy Arrow Mine Car. Once the trip target goes down, the mine car rolls out of the depot building and goes 40' into the next depot building (once mine car is in depot building shooters engage the dump target). Sorry this clip doesn't show whole length of travel. We use this for rifle only.

• The third clip is a swinging target, but I think these are pretty traditional. We use this for pistol and rifle.

RR

Archived