SASS Wire Forum

Question About Gunfighter Rule

Tequila Shooter

When shooting in the Gunfighter (GF) category the Shooter's Handbook (SB) says:

• Gunfighter style is defined as shooting with a revolver in each hand. Revolvers must be cocked and fired one handed, unsupported, one right-handed and the other left-handed. There is no set pattern as to how the revolvers are to be fired, but alternating revolvers is clearly the most efficient.

It goes on to say: 

o Only Gunfighter style or Double Duelist style may be used.

So my question is in GF if I draw both pistols at the same time and shoot 5 rounds from one pistol, then shoot 5 rounds from second pistol (both pistols are drawn and shooting is one handed, unsupported and the right pistol is fired with right hand and left with left hand) is that still considered GF?  

In a very basic shooting stage that calls for targets P1-P5 be engaged in single tap left to right sweep.  If I were to shoot P1-P5 right gun, then P1-P5 left gun would that still be GF?

The reason for the question is that I shoot Duelist category, however I shoot left pistol left-handed and right pistol right-handed.  The only difference (at least for me) between the categories would be whether I pull both pistols or just one?  Hope I didn't make this question too confusing.

11 minutes ago, Tequila Shooter said:

When shooting in the Gunfighter (GF) category the Shooter's Handbook (SB) says:

• Gunfighter style is defined as shooting with a revolver in each hand. Revolvers must be cocked and fired one handed, unsupported, one right-handed and the other left-handed. There is no set pattern as to how the revolvers are to be fired, but alternating revolvers is clearly the most efficient.

It goes on to say: 

o Only Gunfighter style or Double Duelist style may be used.

So my question is in GF if I draw both pistols at the same time and shoot 5 rounds from one pistol, then shoot 5 rounds from second pistol (both pistols are drawn and shooting is one handed, unsupported and the right pistol is fired with right hand and left with left hand) is that still considered GF?  

In a very basic shooting stage that calls for targets P1-P5 be engaged in single tap left to right sweep.  If I were to shoot P1-P5 right gun, then P1-P5 left gun would that still be GF?

The reason for the question is that I shoot Duelist category, however I shoot left pistol left-handed and right pistol right-handed.  The only difference (at least for me) between the categories would be whether I pull both pistols or just one?  Hope I didn't make this question too confusing.

Yes, you may.

as a gunfighter, you must shoot 5 pistol shots with your left hand and five pistol shots with your right hand. How you do it, is entirely up to you.

And, as a gunfighter, you are allowed to have two loaded pistols in hand at the same time. You don't have to do it that way.

3 hours ago, Tequila Shooter said:

1st para:  YES

2nd para:  If BOTH 'loaded' pistols are out of the holsters at the same time..... YES.

3rd para:   Anytime you pull BOTH 'loaded' pistols out of the holsters at the same time, once you 'COCK' one of

those pistols, you have entered the GF category (GF Twilight Zone).  

The rules allow you to shoot one pistol empty and draw the 2nd pistol (after the 1st pistol is empty) and shoot

it without having to reholster the 1st pistol.   This is the method that many of the good Duelist/DD shooters 

use.

..........Widder

If I read your last question correctly (no promises there), if your shooting "Gunfighter" having both handguns out at the same time is OK.  If your shooting dualist/double dualist, you may NOT have both handguns out at the same time.  Pulling both handguns is shooting "Out of Category" which is a no no.

OOPSIES:  Forgot to include both "LOADED" handguns out ........  But did remember to include "Pulling Both handguns" inna last part.

1 minute ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

If I read your last question correctly (no promises there), if your shooting "Gunfighter" having both handguns out at the same time is OK.  If your shooting dualist/double dualist, you may NOT have both handguns out at the same time.  Pulling both handguns is shooting "Out of Category" which is a no no.

You may not have both LOADED handguns out at the same time shooting Duelist/Double Duelist.

I could be mistaken, but I think it has been determined by the ROC that a shooter (ANY CATEGORY) who has

pulled BOTH 'loaded' revolvers at the same time can reholster one of those revolvers BEFORE either pistol

is cocked and therefore, avoid a 'shooting out of category' penalty.

If I am misguided on my thinking, I hope the Blue Ink Bandito (PWB) will chime in and correct me.

EDIT:  Indeed, it is in the rule book:

SHB, page 6.

"The competitor shall not have two LOADED revolvers in hand at once.  (This

may be corrected before 'COCKING' either one without penalty".

..........Widder

@Widder, SASS #59054  @Tyrel Cody  @PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L @Branchwater Jack SASS #88854 @Colorado Coffinmaker

1.  I know I may have put the question in a confusing way, my apologies.  The root of the question is if I register as a GF and I pull 2 loaded pistols from the holster can I shoot 5 rounds out of the first pistol then shoot 5 rounds out of the second pistol?  

2.  If I shoot say 3 rounds out of the first pistol then shoot 2 (or more) rounds of the second pistol can I go back to the first pistol with the remaining 2 rounds?  Would that give me a "P"?

Sorry to ask these questions, but I'd like to try GF since I'm already shooting DD and other than pulling both pistols at the same time I'm not sure what would be the difference.

3 minutes ago, Tequila Shooter said:

@Widder, SASS #59054  @Tyrel Cody  @PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L @Branchwater Jack SASS #88854 @Colorado Coffinmaker

1.  I know I may have put the question in a confusing way, my apologies.  The root of the question is if I register as a GF and I pull 2 loaded pistols from the holster can I shoot 5 rounds out of the first pistol then shoot 5 rounds out of the second pistol?  YES

2.  If I shoot say 3 rounds out of the first pistol then shoot 2 (or more) rounds of the second pistol can I go back to the first pistol with the remaining 2 rounds?  Would that give me a "P"?

YES no penalty

Sorry to ask these questions, but I'd like to try GF since I'm already shooting DD and other than pulling both pistols at the same time I'm not sure what would be the difference.

The only meaningful difference is if you register as Duelist/Double Duelist you may not have 2 loaded guns out of the holster at the same time.

1 hour ago, Tequila Shooter said:

1.  I know I may have put the question in a confusing way, my apologies.  The root of the question is if I register as a GF and I pull 2 loaded pistols from the holster can I shoot 5 rounds out of the first pistol then shoot 5 rounds out of the second pistol?  YES

2.  If I shoot say 3 rounds out of the first pistol then shoot 2 (or more) rounds of the second pistol can I go back to the first pistol with the remaining 2 rounds?  Would that give me a "P"? YES, without penalty

When I started shooting, I was shooting Duelist.  Then I moved to Double Duelist. Then I moved to gunfighter.  For me, it was a natural progression.

The rules do not specify the order which the bullets need to come out of the pistols, just that the targets have to be engaged in a particular order. And, as a gunfighter, 5 must be shot from the left hand and 5 out of the right.

Evan as a duelist, you could draw one pistol and shoot three rounds. Then holster it and draw the second pistol and shoot 5 rounds. Then draw the first pistol and shoot the remaining 2 rounds without penalty.

I remember a state shoot a couple years ago. A feller was in a hotly contested Senior Duelist category.  He realized that no one from his state signed up for Senior Gunfighter. So, he signed up for it, shot it double duelist some of the match, and was his state's Senior Gunfighter Champ. Some times he shot it straight Double Duelist. Some times he pulled both, shot one dry then the other. Some times he alternated. Some times he would shoot a couple from one gun, then shoot a couple from another.  Any way works!

1 minute ago, Branchwater Jack SASS #88854 said:

When I started shooting, I was shooting Duelist.  Then I moved to Double Duelist. Then I moved to gunfighter.  For me, it was a natural progression.

The rules do not specify the order which the bullets need to come out of the pistols, just that the targets have to be engaged in a particular order. And, as a gunfighter, 5 must be shot from the left hand and 5 out of the right.

Evan as a duelist, you could draw one pistol and shoot three rounds. Then holster it and draw the second pistol and shoot 5 rounds. Then draw the first pistol and shoot the remaining 2 rounds without penalty.

I remember a state shoot a couple years ago. A feller was in a hotly contested Senior Duelist category.  He realized that no one from his state signed up for Senior Gunfighter. So, he signed up for it, shot it double duelist the entire match, and was his state's Senior Gunfighter Champ. Some times he shot it straight Double Duelist. Some times he pulled both, shot one dry then the other. Some times he alternated. Some times he would shoot a couple from one gun, then shoot a couple from another.  Any way works!

Just remind everyone, GUNFIGHTERS MAY NOT RE-HOLSTER.

Just now, Tyrel Cody said:

Just remind everyone, GUNFIGHTERS MAY NOT RE-HOLSTER.

TC...I hate to disagree with you, but you are missing a key part of information:

SHB pg 7

A Gunfighter may not holster revolvers with the intent to engage another revolver sequence.

3 minutes ago, Branchwater Jack SASS #88854 said:

TC...I hate to disagree with you, but you are missing a key part of information:

SHB pg 7

I'm glad you did, I've always misinterpreted that rule.

2 hours ago, Tyrel Cody said:

@Buck D. Law, SASS #62183 can you attach Gunfighter 101 here? @Tequila Shooter message Buck and have him email you his Gunfighter 101 pdf.

Tried to send him a message, but it comes back that he doesn't receive messages.  Isn't there a GF website?  Or a Jedi website?  Might 101 be posted there?

1 minute ago, Tequila Shooter said:

Tried to send him a message, but it comes back that he doesn't receive messages.  Isn't there a GF website?  Or a Jedi website?  Might 101 be posted there?

http://www.shootingbums.org/jedi/index.html

but Gunfighter 101 is not there.

I'll see if I can dig up his email; which I was already supposed to do for someone else :blush:

9 minutes ago, Branchwater Jack SASS #88854 said:

Thanks. I messaged him on Facebook and he said it'd be a day or two as he's away from that computer.

21 hours ago, Tequila Shooter said:

I've cleared out some space in messenger and sent you a message. 

Just now, Smoky Pistols said:

Hey Tyrel--

I can't get that doc to open.  Any way you'd be able to PM it to me?  I'd love to take a look at it.

PM your email.

On 3/11/2020 at 5:05 AM, Tequila Shooter said:

Gunfighter style is defined as shooting with a revolver in each hand. Revolvers must be cocked and fired one handed, unsupported, one right-handed and the other left-handed. There is no set pattern as to how the revolvers are to be fired, but alternating revolvers is clearly the most efficient.

The answer as previously stated is yes you can shoot five from the 1st then 5 from the 2nd as long as your registered category is "Gunfighter" 

Archived