SASS Wire Forum

Who pays?

Alpo

Interesting question, and I'm pretty sure I know the answer, but I will throw it out here anyway.

Through no fault of yours, your home has become a crime scene. You got to leave.

Who pays the motel bill? Would it come out of police budget, or the county petty cash? Or is it your problem?

I would think it would have to be a murder scene for them to tell you to leave. I would also think that if you cannot afford a motel, sleeping arrangements would be made for you and your family. If not, then it's on you IMHO.

They may try to pull that off on you.

If they want to push it, well..... it could cost them more than they imagine.

Those types aren’t used to having someone lower the hammer on them.

Rule #1?......Don’t allow them to call you, or refer to you, as a “civilian”.

Rule #2?......Don’t allow them to approach or edge closer than arm’s length.

Once you’ve established that, you’ll figure out the rest.

Remember, these people aren’t your peers (they’re something less), or your friends.  They’ll start out being cordial, then turn to chiseled stone and intimidation.  Just you be the sledgehammer.  I’ve dealt with these types.  Order them off your property.  Don’t accept promises, and don’t fill out any “claim” forms.  If you have a good lawyer, use him.  If you don’t, pay him to find an attack-dog attorney for you.

(Just thinking about this has me po’d about it again.):(:angry:

CB

Calm down. This is not happening to me.

First book in that Joe Pickett Wyoming game Warden series. Finds a murdered guy in his backyard. Tells his wife to take the two little kids and go to a motel because he doesn't want them to see what's going on. And she asked who was going to pay for it, as it was the end of the month and they were broke.

And I thought that was a damn good question. TV cop shows, and they will still have the yellow crime-scene tape up blocking everything off three or four or five days after the crime happened.

The people that live there cannot be there, because of the "crime scene do not cross" tape everywhere.

Heck, even if I was involved. Killed a home invader in my living room. That's a crime scene. Hard to get out of the bedroom into the kitchen, or in and out the front door, without traipsing through that crime scene, so it seems like I would have to leave. And if, like so many people, I was living paycheck-to-paycheck, who paid?

If you are a victim, there are organizations to assist with being suddenly temporarily homeless.  Red Cross, Salvation Army, VOCAL (Victims of crime and leniency), several others as well.  

If you are an offender, they got a place for you to stay.  Crossbar hotel.

13 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I would think it would have to be a murder scene for them to tell you to leave. I would also think that if you cannot afford a motel, sleeping arrangements would be made for you and your family. If not, then it's on you IMHO.

They can tell you anything they want, doesn't make what they say legal or enforceable. 

Amendment 4 
- Protection from Unreasonable Searches and Seizures

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects against unreasonablesearches and seizures shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched and the persons or things to be seized.

U.S. Legal, Inc. definition of "Seizure":  Seizure is the act of law enforcement officials taking property, including cash, real estate, vehicles, etc., that has been used in connection with or acquired by illegal activities. Property may also be seized to satisfy an unpaid judgment, as long as proper notice of the amount due has been served.

Would your Peers decide in your favor or against?

In our state (Michigan) most if not all Prosecutor's Offices have "Crime Victim Units" that help with matters such as this.  In my Department we did on rare occasions pay for motel rooms for victims or witnesses that were being threatened.  In some cases homeowners insurance may pick up the bill if the residence is temporarily not inhabitable.

If my home has become a "crime scene" of such magnitude that I have to leave while it is being processed, i.e. murder scene with tons of blood spatter to process, a single nights hotel bill is the least of my worries.

Archived