SASS Wire Forum

AK-47

Dude Slade

I bought one just because I didn't have one.  I haven't found it very accurate but it is fun to shoot.  Ammo and mags are cheap.  It just makes me smile when I see it in the safe next to all the AR15s.

I have one that mostly just sits in the safe. I've owned two others before, and usually sold them after a short time. Some folks can make some pretty good use out of them, but for me it's just an excuse to own an example of what is arguably the most iconic firearm of them all. As far as actually shooting it goes, to me it's kinda meh... Not accurate enough to excite me even though it's still fun to shoot.

I had one that I hardly ever shot, twice was enough. I'm not a fan I sold it and bought an AR 15. which I also sold after about two years of shooting that 2 or 3 times. 

I might want to mention that most new AKs these days are junk. Ever since ATF clamped down on parts kits from overseas most builders have been stuck with poorly-made US components. If you really want an AK-47 "just to have" it's probably best to just bite the bullet and find a pre-ban Chinese model, or else a newer pre-ATF clampdown Izhmash-produced rifle from Russia. Some of the newer ones with US barrels and parts are still okay, but look them over closely and read up on reviews because many of them are garbage.

AK ammo is cheap to buy, and the gun goes bang reliably. Other than that, I find them uncomfortable to shoot, inaccurate, and not much good for anything but going bang. 

I suggest trying one one before you buy. Every SKS and AK that I’ve bought as giggle guns ended up being sold. 

38 minutes ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

I might want to mention that most new AKs these days are junk. Ever since ATF clamped down on parts kits from overseas most builders have been stuck with poorly-made US components. If you really want an AK-47 "just to have" it's probably best to just bite the bullet and find a pre-ban Chinese model, or else a newer pre-ATF clampdown Izhmash-produced rifle from Russia. Some of the newer ones with US barrels and parts are still okay, but look them over closely and read up on reviews because many of them are garbage.

Yeah, all of the reviews I'm reading agree with you, with the exception of the newest PSA GF3 gun I linked to. Everyone loves it. After 3 generations, it would seem they've finally gotten it right.

I may do like y'all and end up selling it after a while... but I've never owned one, so I have to get one at least once. Gotta love the cheap ammo too. I already have a few AR-15s, which I love.

I never had an AK-type rifle,

BUT, I do have a Chinese SKS “paratrooper” model.  It is a short barrel, cut-down, “carbine” type rifle, made for sale in the US, and which (to my knowledge), was never made for military service.  

I stripped off and trashed the bayonet and ugly yellow wood stock.  I bought a black “sporting” stock (Choate Machine & Tool) to replace the wood, a Williams peep sight to replace the open steel rear sight, and a 5-round fixed magazine to replace the 10-round fixed magazine that came on the rifle.  I have a sling on it that allows easy carry.

It’s the perfect ranch rifle, and of course fires the 7.62mm Russian (.30 caliber) round.  
With the “sporter” stock, it looks pretty much like any non-military rifle.  The 5-round magazine only just barely protrudes under the rifle.  Prior to a slight sight adjustment, it grouped slightly left at 100 yards.  

Cat Brules

I remember going to gun shows in the late eighties and very early nineties where we could buy Chinese and Russian AK47s for $175.

And then, Clinton's AWB...

2 hours ago, Dude Slade said:

I find myself really wanting one of these, just for a giggle gun. Anyone here into the AK scene at all?

PSA GF3 Red Wood AK-47

I bought that exact gun a few months back.  I love it.  I've fired probably 800-1000 rounds through it so far without a failure.  My only complaint is that the stock is too small and it's uncomfortable when I try to aim.  I might try to put a laser on it so I don't have to aim anymore.  Or maybe find a strap on cheek piece.  People say they're inaccurate, but it's every bit as accurate as my AR.  I think PSA finally got it right after 3 generations. 

The ammo is cheap if you can shoot steel.  I cannot because I shoot at ranges, so the ammo price is higher than 5.56 for me.  If you can shoot steel cases and steel cores, it's less than 20 cents a round.  Double that if you can't.  Brass / nosteeel 5.56 ammo is about 30 cents a round. 

I ran into an AK afficianado at the gun club one month and he downloaded more knowledge about them than I thought existed.  About 15 minutes into it, I pulled out my phone and started trying to take notes. 

8 minutes ago, Dantankerous said:

I remember going to gun shows in the late eighties and very early nineties where we could buy Chinese and Russian AK47s for $175.

I used to have a milled-receiver PolyTech Legend. It was a true semi-auto version of a Chinese Type 56, which in turn was a true clone of an original Russian AK-47. Then like a dope I sold it because I got bored with it. Today those things are worth several thousand dollars in good condition. Now I have an underfolder using a US-made Nodak receiver and a Polish AKMS parts kit. It's pretty awkward to fire with the wire stock because it won't let me get a proper cheek weld, but as I said I have it just to have. While there are lots of guns out there that could be considered iconic, the AK-pattern rifle shaped 20th Century history like no other except maybe the Lee-Enfield or Mauser. Estimates of the number made range from 60-100 million, making it the most prolific small arm in the world.

4 minutes ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

I bought that exact gun a few months back.  I love it.  I've fired probably 800-1000 rounds through it so far without a failure.  My only complaint is that the stock is too small and it's uncomfortable when I try to aim.  I might try to put a laser on it so I don't have to aim anymore.  Or maybe find a strap on cheek piece.  People say they're inaccurate, but it's every bit as accurate as my AR.  I think PSA finally got it right after 3 generations. 

The ammo is cheap if you can shoot steel.  I cannot because I shoot at ranges, so the ammo price is higher than 5.56 for me.  If you can shoot steel cases and steel cores, it's less than 20 cents a round.  Brass / nosteeel 5.56 ammo is about 30 cents a round. 

Yeah, that is a concern. I'm a big guy, was considering maybe taking that stock off of it and getting a Magpul Zhukov stock that is adjustable for length.  Happy to hear it's run flawlessly for you though! Appreciate the feedback on it!

I’m guessing they sweep up, sort, and sell the brass....And, they get enough for it that reliably sorting the steel cases out is problematic and costs them too much.

Who knows?

Cat Brules

I have shot quite a few AK-47 variants. I have only owned one. I think everyone should own one at some point in their firearms career (I couldn’t think of a better word or phrase). Mine was a Norinco AK-47. People laughed at them when they were imported but it turns out there stamped metal frame is stronger than Russian, Romanian and other European makers AK frames. 
I gave mine to an ex-friend of mine when I found out that that particular model is a named “Assault Weapon” in CA. He was my friend at the time but we had a major falling out. I hope he enjoys it. 
I got rid of a pain in the arse and a gun that I just couldn’t like. I am not built for AK’s. They are made for people in the range of 5’ 7” and 140 pounds, I guess. They just seem so small to me, like a Mini 14. I just don’t fit them. 

Well, at full-auto and all the free magazines and ammo you can eat, what’s not to like?

Cat Brules

18 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

Actually it was the 89 Bush ban.

1 hour ago, Steel-eye Steve SASS #40674 said:

Actually it was the 89 Bush ban.

Right you are! Bush the Globalist banned the import of specific weapons, if i remember correctly. Got him on the wrong side of the NRA pretty quickly too.

16 hours ago, Trailrider #896 said:

Colorado limits magazine capacity to 15 rounds. :angry:  But that's alright, eight and eight makes sixteen shots, and another eight makes twenty-four, etc.  "Ping!" my ar$$! :ph34r:

Fortunately I had a bunch before the ban went into effect. And I dint even have an AK then. I do now.

Bought a case of AR mags from Magpul before they re located to Texas when they had the Colorado a Resident sale.

18 hours ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

I'm just 5' 6", and I remember having to put a 1" spacer on the stock of my PolyTech because the stock was too short for me. So I honestly don't know who they were supposed to fit. Maybe that's why those 4' 10" VCs loved them so much.

The original average Russian and Chicom troops were small fellas.

On 3/10/2020 at 4:43 PM, Sixgun Sheridan said:

Because people think steel cases will simply melt away and that nobody has to pick them up or dispose of them. It's also a huge PITA for ranges that scoop up all the brass to have it recycled.

A large magnet will separate the steel cases from the brass cases.  You can sell the steel cases at a metal recycler when you get several large trash bags full.

Duffield

On ‎3‎/‎11‎/‎2020 at 9:15 AM, Utah Bob #35998 said:

The original average Russian and Chicom troops were small fellas.

Russian males seem to come in two sizes... short and fat, or the size of an Alaskan Brown bear. Not too many in between. :blink:

Got one just for nostalgia’s sake. ;)

And because I can.

E4AC7916-649E-419D-8D41-3C4DF3C10A3F.jpeg

4 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Got one just for nostalgia’s sake. ;)

And because I can.

E4AC7916-649E-419D-8D41-3C4DF3C10A3F.jpeg

Awesome photo! Thanks for your service, and for sharing!

1 hour ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

Yeah, but did you get to keep it? ^_^

Nah. Got to bring a SKS home though.

3 hours ago, Chickasaw Bill SASS #70001 said:

dang , ya was young then UB 

some where , there is a pic , of me , taken when I was 17 , in basic at Ft Benning 

that was a LONG time back 

CB 

Like the book says, we were soldiers once..and young.

Archived