SASS Wire Forum

Virus Inspired Hoarding

J-BAR #18287

I went to Sam's Club to pick up a prescription this afternoon.  Toilet paper and paper towels were completely sold out.  The pharmacist said in addition to paper products, folks are hoarding Twinkies and Ding Dongs.

Wow.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its the same here in Aust:blush:

The toilet paper company is in Australia and has started a 24hr shift to keep up with demand, they are going to have to slow down to a half day shift once people realise they aint going to the convenience any more than usual and they have a three years supply on hand:rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Muleshoe Bill SASS #67022 said:

Shoot  seems to me they should be hoarding whiskey and ice

Purely medicinal--for the pain and swelling, of course!

1BEB3ACA-EAB4-4CFD-B6C5-A51CA1A910BC.jpeg

Locally the gun stores are running low on guns and ammo. At first I figured it was just more paranoid gun owners stocking up, then one of the salesmen told me nearly every person in their store the past week was Asian. Apparently a lot of them are getting threats and becoming new proponents of the Second Amendment.

19 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Soon a bunch of people will be wishing Sears & Robuck still put out a catalog. ;)

Well...they have Facebook...:huh:

My wife called me from the grocery store just now toilet tissue is on sale if she buys 5 packages.  

“How many in a package?” I asked.

She says, “9 rolls!”

I say, “So, you have to buy 45 rolls of TP to get this great deal?  Do whatever you want!”

Where am I gonna store 45 rolls of TP?

CB

2 minutes ago, Cat Brules said:

My wife called me from the grocery store just now toilet tissue is on sale if she buys 5 packages.  

“How many in a package?” I asked.

She says, “9 rolls!”

I say, “So, you have to buy 45 rolls of TP to get this great deal?  Do whatever you want!”

Where am I gonna store 45 rolls of TP?

CB

In the she shed?

Rice, beans and hand sanitizer all disappeared from my local Costco.  (I don't need to buy any.)  Fortunately TP was on sale a month ago and I bought enough for several months.  Brita filters were on sale too so I have enough on hand to last into the summer.  Should my employer shut down for several weeks I'll be down at the local range sighting in my new 1885 high-wall.  That would be fun and a safe place to be away from crowds.  I'm just hoping travel is not restricted as I have two out-of-state SASS matches to shoot in April.

!

46 minutes ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

Right next to the 20 cases of .223 ammo, 10 cases of 9mm, and 5 boxes full of AR mags you probably have. ;)

Either way, you'll be prepared if s*** happens. :D

s***, I reckon!!

cb     :lol:

15 minutes ago, Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971 said:

Rice, beans and hand sanitizer all disappeared from my local Costco.  (I don't need to buy any.)  Fortunately TP was on sale a month ago and I bought enough for several months.  Brita filters were on sale too so I have enough on hand to last into the summer.  Should my employer shut down for several weeks I'll be down at the local range sighting in my new 1885 high-wall.  That would be fun and a safe place to be away from crowds.  I'm just hoping travel is not restricted as I have two out-of-state SASS matches to shoot in April.

Uh oh! Pearl rice is on my Costco list. I buy big bags. I bought TP last trip.

My local range is about 50 feet from the house. I've hardly shot this year; maybe I'll p-p-practice.

6 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

1BEB3ACA-EAB4-4CFD-B6C5-A51CA1A910BC.jpeg

Thanks!

Bob

I guess I better get out and buy a few bottles of Jack Daniels, and a bottle or two of tookillya.

I’ll need some medicine, if I catch the flu!

Seriously, I sure hope my doctor, the front office kids and the nurses don’t  get sick.  I worry about them when these “plagues” come along

Cat Brules

8 hours ago, Muleshoe Bill SASS #67022 said:

Shoot  seems to me they should be hoarding whiskey and ice

Ice is optional.  Gots plenty o' whiskey in stock!  ^_^

3 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Well...they have Facebook...:huh:

Uh... that conjures up some pretty horrid mental images....  :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Too Tall Bob said:

Thanks!

Bob

Yeah, I was thinking of you.

22 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

Yeah, I was thinking of you.

Somehow - somehow deep down inside me - I highly doubt that - but, thanks again!  

18 hours ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

I went to Sam's Club to pick up a prescription this afternoon.  Toilet paper and paper towels were completely sold out.  The pharmacist said in addition to paper products, folks are hoarding Twinkies and Ding Dongs.

Wow.

See there?  Folks know what’s important!!

toilet paper

paper towels

bottled water

beer

Twinkies

Ding Dongs

(Basic necessities......not necessarily in that order)

Cat Brules

MY local King Soopers (Kroger affiliate) was completely out of TP and alcohol swabs (used when I take my blood sugar test in the morning.  They had  some towel paper.  I bought four 4-packs, then went to my neighborhood pharmacy (I ain't sayin' what one! :ph34r: )  They had plenty of TP, my swabs and some more paper towels, so I bought some.  It isn't so much of a case of hoarding, but I'm supposed to have my left eye re-lensed a week from today, and I'm afraid to even catch a cold, which would require postponing the "procedure".  I started putting in one of four eyedrops today.  The paper that comes with it says it could cause blurring.  Well, the cataract has the vision so blurry now, I don't notice much difference...except it dialates the pupil, so I have to be sure to wear sunglases when I go outdoors.

Take care of yourselves, Pards!  Was your hands! 

Yeah, I have cataract surgery (right eye) coming up this month, too.  

This flu virus is causing many of us to panic.  Me too.  The hoarding of everyday necessities, the availability and consumption of which is not impacted either at all, or to any large extent, is a symptom of that hysteria.  For instance:  toilet tissue, facial tissue, bottled water, etc.  And, those moistened wipes are also bei look ng bought up.  But, many or most of them are simply moistened, and contain no antibacterial or antiviral “ingredients”.   You have to check them.  Personally, I carry a small spray bottle of 91% alcohol and a few paper towels to wipe down my table if we eat lunch or breakfast at a local restaurant. 

My wife cares for her 90yo mother at our other, larger home on the edge of town.  I live here on the ranch, with our horses in a smaller home, about six miles away.  We are trying to keep my wife’s mother (my MIL) at home these next two+ months, and get her doctors to do telephone appointments, rather than face-to-face doctor visits, and stay out of the pharmacies, too.   That’s not going to be easy.  I’m trying to “stay outta Dodge” myself, but I have surgical appointments coming up.  My wife is the only driver right now, and she only goes into town during times she knows there won’t be many people out, and she sanitizes everything.  Can’t let her mom catch this flu.  We’re not interacting with friends and neighbors or service people, because it looks like the next 60 to 90 days will be a critical time for catching and spreading  this flu.  The only “people” I feel won’t infect me with something are the horses. We’re trying to make jokes about it, but we accept it as a serious matter.  

So yeah, I’m tuned in to and panicky about being around other people, and about touching things where others have been.  If we catch this flu, my MIL will likely be gone.

Anyway, y’all be careful, too.

Cat Brules

I took a long look at the bare shelf where handwashing soap used to be.

I turned to the clerk and said "Did nobody wash their hands before this came along?"

20 minutes ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

I'm heading to "town" today. I plan to go to Costco (we're out of cheesecake, Hubby's breakfast). I'll report back when I get home.

Cat, I hope you and your family stay safe. I worry about Hubby too.

Make sure you pick up a dozen cheesecakes.

Archived