SASS Wire Forum

Having a gun present

Highwall

I had two instances over the decades that having a gun on hand saved me from further confrontation. The first was when I went fishing at a state reservoir lake. The place I wanted to fish was way off from any roads. I parked my truck at the railroad tracks and walked a half mile with my backpack  to the flooded rock quarry.  On my return I found two men leaning against my pickup truck. When I approached one said they had been protecting my truck and I should give them a ride into town. I tossed my gear into the bed of the truck and said I was not going that way. They noticed I had a Vaquero holstered and immediately started to walk again down the railroad.

My second instance was  when I was called at 2 am to go and investigate an alarm going off at my place of business. Turns out the alarm was false but on my way home I was harassed by car full of delinquents blocking my path and shouting threatening remarks. Once I was stopped at a  traffic light. They pulled up beside me and shouted obscenities until I reached into my glove compartment and set a 45 Colt on the dashboard. At that point I turned right and they turned left:)  

Demonstrating willingness to fight can prevent problems, at personal as well as international levels.

Thanks for sharing your experience, thanks for your examples of courage.

Good on ya!  :)

In these parts, though, the second one would've gotten you arrested for "brandishing."  :mellow:

Had a sergeant in the Air Force told story of driving at night...He was sleeping in the back seat wife doing the night drive late...On the interstate very early morning...After  the bars had closed... A car load of young boys came up on the driver side...Shotgun rider smiled and was waving a very large knife at her...She calmly pickup the gun in the seat next to her...Waved it back and smile at him....After that she saw tail lights leaving very fast....

Texas Lizard

7 minutes ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Good on ya!  :)

In these parts, though, the second one would've gotten you arrested for "brandishing."  :mellow:

But then thankfully Kansas isn't California. 

Howdy,

One night I kept my right hand in my pocket.

Talked to a couple young fellas very late at night.

Sometimes they don't want to call a bluff and be wrong....

Best

CR

Late 70s. I got off work 1:30 in the morning. Drove 30 miles home. Did not think anything about the car following me all the way on the two-lane highway. Didn't really think anything about it when he stayed behind me when we got on the four-lane highway. But when I turned off into the residential neighborhood and he followed me down there, that made me wonder. I reached over into the glove box, and then when I was stopped at a red light, I just raised this up next to my head (in the glare of his headlights) with the muzzle pointing up at the roof.

IMG_20200309_224248.jpg.57025d2259ae04e09c33cab7b84a49fa.jpg

When the light turned green I drove straight through it, and he turned right.

Could have been just coincidence and we were both going the same way. Could have been that he actually needed to turn right at that intersection.

I was glad I had that Trooper with me.

I was in Virginia at the 1981 or 82 IPSC Nationals Newport News I think.  We had just arrived and checked into our motel about 9:30 pm local.  We had noticed a Pizza place nearby so I went for Pizza as I left the room I shoved my 1911 in my waistband.  There were a small group of young men at the pizza place and whether or not they noticed my wad of cash I don't know.  They left as I was paying and yes I noticed.  They were waiting in the parking lot and ask for a loan I raised my t shirt and asked if they were sure they had the right man.  They looked and departed stage left.   

I was parked in a McDonalds eating lunch when a shady looking character was going up to cars asking for money I assume. When he approached my car I took out my little S&W snub and opened the cylinder like to check it was loaded. I did NOT point it at him but I made sure he saw it! He was about 15 feet from my car approaching me. He saw it alright, he put his hands up and turned around!:o

Three Board members.  One of the three didn't want my Department to progress any further then what it was in fifties  when he was Marshal.  So he was automatically against anything I would proposed, recommended or needed.  The other two Board Members didn't want disharmony so they would side with the one opposing me.  

Well...I was attending a mandatory public Board meeting in uniform.  Board had budgeted the money but every time I asked to use it the one Board Member opposed.  I had enough.  I unholstered my service revolver, kept it pointed in a safe direction as I opened and turned the cylinder to counted the rounds.  Then I made eye contact with the opposing Board Member as I closed the cylinder and reholstered my revolver.  That Board had a "Meet Jesus" moment as he did a 180 degree turn about in his thinking and backed me 100% from then on.  

When I was close to loosing my temper I'd learn to count to ten before responding.  This time counting to six was sufficient!

I'm a retired LEO and a career army officer (mustang).  So I've been in approximately 100 firefights.  Funny enough, I've never shot anyone -- my job "over there" was to direct the firefight, not partake in it.  If the officers are engaging targets, no one is in control!  As a LEO I was line level, and having a gun and being absolutely prepared to use it (i.e. having the muzzle screwed into the temple of a guy reaching for his gun) ensured I didn't have to pull the trigger.  

During the 80s, I worked in what was considered a bad part of town. My boss gave me a nice little .38 S&W snub nosed revolver to carry while at work and for trips to and from the bank.

There were two times that I presented that weapon, both in the bank parking lot. On neither occasion was it necessary to fire it and on one of those occasions, it resulted in the arrest of the potential robber.

On a separate occasion, my boss and I were both hit by shotgun pellets that had been fired by a drive by in the next block.  The area was bad enough that we kept loaded pump shotguns behind the desks in both shops and most of us carried.

After thirty years in the same location, the owner decided he had had enough and we moved both businesses to a new, much nicer location.  Now, twenty-five years later, that area is undergoing a “gentrifications”!

Back in the late eighties I worked for a hotel chain as a manager.   One night at a Family Inn a female customer came to the front desk pretty badly beaten with her clothes mostly torn off (her 'boyfriend').  I called the police and at her request started walking her back to the room to get her coat to cover up. She stated that the 'boyfriend' had left. Despite what she said I kept some distance from her as I walked her back and sure enough the boyfriend pulled into the parking lot while we were walking back.  He got out of his car, leaving it in gear, and started screaming at her and yelling a revolver around.  The car crashed into our back fence and the female started to run away.  He grabber her by the hair, still waiving the gun around and screaming about killing her, occasionally pointing the gun at her head.  He never saw me.  I drew my 1911 and from about 6-8 feet away yelled at him to drop the gun.  He turned and was looking down the muzzle.  I could almost read his thought process as he figured through what his options were.  He put the gun on a car next to him and ran off, which was fine with me.  I kept the gun, car and girl and turned the first two over to the cops when they showed up. 

About two years ago a guy broke into my home while I was there.  I'll spare all the details, but I will say a Mossberg 930 SPX shooting Winchester PDX loads makes great big holes in tires and you can't drive very far when two out of four tires are flat, nor are Georgia woods in the early fall a great place to try to get away on foot. 

In the mid 70's I was driving to pick up my fiancé at her house. I had to drive through a bad part of town and I had a car with 4 punks in it pull up next to me and try to force me off the road. I slowed down to let them go by and they drove on ahead of me and stopped their car, blocking the road. As I drove up to their car, they were sitting in it laughing and waiting for me to stop. I stopped, reached into my center console and grabbed my snub nosed 38 special. I calmly got out of my car and walked up to their car making sure they saw my revolver and asked them what was so funny and would they mind letting me go by. The driver of their car looked at my gun and immediately drove away. I then proceeded on to pick up my fiancé. I was out numbered, but my 38 seemed to be the equalizer at that time.

Momma stopped a carload of miscreants from getting too close when they tried to block her from work in the dark parking lot at about midnight. It was a .38 snubby she pointed at them and they quickly got back in their car and left. I'm happy she carried against her store policy.

I read 'gun' and 'present' and thought that I had a gift to open.  Dang it!

Yep, handy as heck and fully legal in our nation (except for folks living in certain states who have given up).

When the wife and I were younger, we would go out at night (pre-children).  On one occasion we were approached by two men when were about to walk into a restaurant.  I pulled  my model 649 S&W and held it by my side and they decided to walk away.  A few years later we were leaving a traveling Broadway play and a gentleman held a brick overhead and threatened to break my side car window if I didn't give him money. I pointed the same revolver at him and told him I was broke, with a smile on my face.  He walked away from my car and went to the car behind me.  I really didn't want to shoot either of them, but I would have been justified in doing so. 

I have only had to do this once... as a very young fella around age 18.

My band played a small town, and the locals decided to get hopped up and waste the out of town guys.
When the leader stuck his head in the window of my truck, I had my revolver on the tip of his nose.
It was only a 22, but that close it appeared to him to be one or two notches below a Howitzer.

The boys in the band hightailed it out of town.
As noted above, in the CA of today, that would be a felony arrest.

• 1 month later...

Two days ago I was fishing the peninsula  on my city lake. For some unknown reason I had decided to pack my Ruger Bearcat in my fanny pack that I carried in front rather than behind, I reckon you could call it a premonition but  so glad I did. Turns out a car load of juveniles  pulled up and started to give me trouble, harassing me, giving me the old man tribute. When they did not stop I pulled out the Bearcat and pointed it straight up to the sky. They were gone in 60 secconds! 

:rolleyes:

Archived