SASS Wire Forum

The Original .44 Magnum

According to my research, this was the first available .44 Magnum revolver available on the US market.

1539654354_GreatWestern.thumb.jpg.51b99d2e2855ba228da8183a53ed943f.jpg

Yeppers, I found me a vintage Great Western revolver.   And it's really nifty.  The weird firing pin is an oddity, but it's still a nice pistol.  One thing that I find odd about it is that it has not four, but FIVE clicks.  Most curious indeed.  Or maybe not...  I have often found myself thinking that the fourth click kinda sounds like two separate ones very close together.

Oh well.

Interesting.

I had always thought the FIRST was the S&W model 29, in an 'official' capacity.

I ain't sure but I think Elmer Keith owned the first one ever made.

..........Widder

25 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Interesting.

I had always thought the FIRST was the S&W model 29, in an 'official' capacity.

I ain't sure but I think Elmer Keith owned the first one ever made.

..........Widder

Oops.   I got some of my details mixed up.   The Smith was the first, but the Great Western was second, beating the Ruger Blackhawk.  Here's the article I "remembered" instead of looking it up again.

https://greatwesternarmsco.com/calibers/44-magnum/

But it's still a cool pistol.  

It is a coooooool pistol.

I once owned a 'Hawes'  .44 mag almost like it, and I think it was made by JP Sauer.

(I'm going on faint memory so I hope I got the name correct)

..........Widder

I once owned a Smith and Wesson model 29-2, 4" barrel.  It was one of my favorite guns to shoot, but being over 50 years old at the time, the hand started to wear and it developed a small timing issue.  I sent it to the factory to have the hand replaced (referred to as a "pawl" by Ruger and other companies).  It *SHOULD* have been routine maintenance.  But after 6 months I had the dealer who shipped it call and ask them what was taking so long.

"Uhhh....about that..."  They had CRACKED THE FRAME while removing the side plate!!!!  Then, they just threw the thing in the incinerator to melt it down and never bothered to tell me!!!  I had some custom grips on that thing they didn't bother salvaging, either.  They got incinerated with the rest of the gun.

I was livid.  Not only did they destroy a classic firearm, they actually thought I was going to forget about it?!?!?!!??

They ended up giving me a brand new 629 as a replacement, but a decade later I'm still trying to pick my jaw off the floor from their monumental stupidity.

If anyone is interesting there is a local shop that currently has a Sauer and Sohn (same as JP Sauer?????) 44 magnum Federal Marshal SA for a relatively good price. PM me and I'll send you a link to their website.  I have no interest in selling this, only providing information since that brand was brought up in this thread.

As for the 5 clicks, on a Colt style action that would mean not timed correctly.  The 4th click is normally bolt dropping from ramp into notch and trigger sear hitting full cock at same time.  If not together, 5 clicks.

My friend had a Great Western Marshall in .44 magnum. That was the first single action I ever shot. We shot .44 specials from it. He died two years ago and his wife sold the gun to her brother in law. I wanted that gun but he made her an offer that was way more than it was worth! Nice gun though!;)

On ‎3‎/‎9‎/‎2020 at 6:27 PM, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

It is a coooooool pistol.

I once owned a 'Hawes'  .44 mag almost like it, and I think it was made by JP Sauer.

(I'm going on faint memory so I hope I got the name correct)

..........Widder

You're right. I still have a box full of Sauers under various brand names and calibers. 22,s, 357's and 44's and one 45 Colt. The earliest is marked as a "Hy Hunter". He was one of the principles with the Great Western company that built the ones here. I also have a Great Western in 357 Atomic.

I acquired an original GW .357 Atomic as payment for a $50 debt many years ago. It was non-functional due to a solid brass "replacement" bolt having been installed.

A few months after taking it to a LGS for repair (fitted a Colt bolt and trigger), I foolishly traded it off at a gun show for a Hawes Western Marshal.

About a month later, "Guns and Ammo" printed an article on the history (and current values at the time) of the Great Western SAs.

Major regrets for THAT deal! 

:(

When I was a kid, there was a huge Outdoor Sports and Gun Show at the Exposition Center in Los Angeles.   Took all day to walk around the whole thing.  There was a "company"/dealer there names "Hawes" and he was selling the JP Sauer and Sohn single action pistols for less money that anything else at the show that went bang.  We didn't have much money, so low price was important.  My Dad bought a "Hawes" .22 single action, which looked just like the pistol pictured above.  I use to dry fire that pistol endlessly.  Fast draw, fanning, twirling -- all the stuff that was on T.V. at that time.   In a few years, I had blown all the mortices out of the cylinder and the gun would no longer go to battery.  Seeing this thread brings back lots of memories.  Thanks!!!

Archived