SASS Wire Forum

Canned potatoes

Trigger Mike

Howdy,

Assuming not a joke....

most home canned stuff is ok until it smells or looks funny.

I wouldn't go past three years.

But why not use em if you are going to use em?

Do you anticipate a shortage in 2030?

Make a stew. Done.

Best

CR

8 minutes ago, Trigger Mike said:

Not a joke,  they really are 8 years old and he is someone I've been friends with for years but my wife is grossed out by looking at them but I hate to waste food having been starving once

If you're not starving now then do yourself a favor and pitch 'em!

Back in the day my dad and I would take fishing trips to Wyoming and he would always have cans of potatoes for our outdoor meals over the fire. I really couldn't tell any difference in them other than they were much easier and faster to fix for a meal. Bacon, eggs, potatoes and onions is sure damn good in a cast iron skillet over an open fire! :rolleyes:

I think if not damaged canned goods will last for many years. I think the expiration dates stamped on them is just to protect the label from liabilities. 

After around 4-5 years they start to lose their nutritional value... but they are still edible. They won't go bad as long as they were processed correctly and are still sealed. However, I would be very careful eating home canned foods not done yourself. Botulism is a real thing. You don't know how they processed those potatoes... if they did it properly, then they are fine. If not, they could kill you. Are you willing to take the risk?

2 hours ago, J. Mark Flint #31954 LIFE said:

I follow this rule regarding leftovers-they are never going to get better,

A good stew gets better in the fridge for at least 2 weeks.  So does chili.  But other than a few outliers, my take on leftovers has always been that if they was any good, they wouldn't be left over in the first place. 

• 1 month later...

I've found over the years leftovers seem better to me the second day. They are softer and more tender. Especially meals like goulash, tuna noodle casserole, spaghetti and pizza. Who hasn't loved a reheated slice of meatloaf? 

On 3/9/2020 at 5:01 PM, Trigger Mike said:

Not a joke,  they really are 8 years old and he is someone I've been friends with for years but my wife is grossed out by looking at them but I hate to waste food having been starving once

Oh, sure, experiment with your health eating old food...what could go wrong?

Look, I grew up poor and missed lots of meals. I don’t use that as an excuse to be cheap or take chances with old food. 

But, if you have never had poisoning or gotten really really sick from eating questionable food and you want to have the experience of projectile vomiting and explosive diarrhea, go right on ahead. I can assure you that you will not forget it. 

Seriously, you hate to waste food that much? Go ahead and eat them. Just don’t drag your family into it. Sheesh. 

What?

You hired a gunslinger to blow away a defenceless jar of potatoes?

OH the HUMANITY of it.

A 44 mangle  em would have been way more fun....

Best

CR

• 3 months later...

I had a neighbor once call them potaughtoes! We never conversed much after that. :wacko:

• 2 months later...

I've been a camper most all my life and have never gotten sick from any canned good products. including potatoes My dad would toss a can of beans or corn beef hash in the cast iron skillet  on the fire along with onions and eggs when we camped out on fishing trips for years on end in Wyoming..  To me it was the ultimate meal for breakfast, lunch and supper. Hash was my favorite with sauteed onions and carrots tossed in with pork sausage.  Spam was good too if you fry the hell out of it.

I have a can of Spam that was given to me as a prank gift (it’s labeled spam for the great outdoors, camo label and a hunter logo) this was in the late 1990s. It sat on my work desk all these years. I love fried spam, but refuse to open it for story sake. Funny thing is it looks fine, no swelling or rust, probably still edible.

I say open it, fry it, eat it and save the can for story sake!:D

Archived