SASS Wire Forum

Songs that have been seared into your brain

These are not just songs that are your favorites.

These are songs that either as a child growing up, a teenager in school, or sometime during your lifetime, was listened to so extensively that you know all the words by heart, and can sing it without the music.

Many people may claim to know a song well, but end up knowing only the chorus, or a few of the verses.

These are songs that have truly been burned onto your brains hard drive.

To be truthful, for me, these songs are rare, and this is #2 on my list.

Rocky Mountain High

He was born in the summer of his 27th year
Coming home to a place he'd never been before
He left yesterday behind him, you might say he was born again
You might say he found a key for every door
When he first came to the mountains his life was far away
On the road and hanging by a song
But the string's already broken and he doesn't really care
It keeps changing fast and it don't last for long
But the Colorado rocky mountain high
I've seen it rainin' fire in the sky
The shadow from the starlight is softer than a lullabye
Rocky mountain high (Colorado)
He climbed cathedral mountains, he saw silver clouds below
He saw everything as far as you can see
And they say that he got crazy once and he tried to touch the sun
And he lost a friend but kept his memory
Now he walks in quiet solitude the forest and the streams
Seeking grace in every step he takes
His sight has turned inside himself to try and understand
The serenity of a clear blue mountain lake
And the Colorado rocky mountain high
I've seen it raining fire in the sky
You can talk to God and listen to the casual reply
Rocky mountain high
Now his life is full of wonder but his heart still knows some fear
Of a simple thing he cannot comprehend
Why they try to tear the mountains down to bring in a couple more
More people, more scars upon the land
And the Colorado rocky mountain high
I know he'd be a poorer man if he never saw an eagle fly
Rocky mountain high
It's Colorado rocky mountain high
Friends around the campfire and everybody's high
Rocky mountain high
Rocky mountain high
Rocky mountain high
Rocky mountain high
Rocky mountain high
Rocky mountain high

Songwriters: John Denver / Mike Taylor
Rocky Mountain High lyrics © Warner Chappell Music, Inc, Kobalt Music Publishing Ltd., BMG Rights Management, Reservoir Media Management Inc

Led Zeppelin

Going To California

.......Cat Brules

Take Me Home Country Roads - John Denver

Bohemian Rhapsody - Queen

Stuck in the middle with you - Stealers Wheel

Baker Street - Gerry Rafferty

Bad Company - Bad Company

"Listen to the Rythym of the Falling Rain"     Cascades

"BRANDY"     Looking Glass  (probably my #1

"Unchained Melody"   Righteous Bros.   (probably my #1A)

..........Widder

The rest of my list probably looks like:

The Joker - Steve Miller Band

Simple Man - Lynyrd Skynyrd

Bohemian Rhapsody - Queen

Go Your Own Way - Fleetwood Mac

There was a time when Time In a Bottle - Jim Croce and almost anything by James Taylor was among them too. Thanks to my Mom's continuous playing of his records.

Wild Montana Skies

John Denver and Emmy Lou Harris

El Paso

Marty Robbins

2 hours ago, Jonny Vero said:

The Joker - Steve Miller Band

Oh man, I forgot about that one. I remember singing that song walking back to school in 8th grade after lunch on a beautiful Spring day. Love that song. 

America- Rode Across The Desert On A Horse With No Legs

CCR- Rolling On A River 

Lots of Nitty Gritty Dirt Band

Steppenwolf

Wichita Lineman

El Paso City

Silver And Gold

Old Man

Poncho And Lefty

Sometimes out in the shop I’ll put all 7 discs of John Denver or Neil Young or George Strait or Garth Brooks or Johnny Cash or The Highwaymen or whoever. I have Direct Tv that I listen to but after the second day of the same old songs of the day before I need some of my old favorites. We have a illegal alien living in a avocado grove across the street that thinks he’s a Mexican opera singer and occasionally he’ll be singing at the top of his lungs and I get fed up with it and I’ll load up Steppenwolf, CCR, Janis Joplin and others and turn the volume up to shut him up, I win every time, the guy obviously doesn’t care for real music. It usually only takes a little while and then he’s as quiet as a church mouse.

The ones that I can think of off the top of my head are songs that are among my favorites. Some I simply like extremely well, if not actually "favorites."

A few from my choir days will stick in my head from time to time, and decades after the fact, I still know the lyrics.

blue eyes crying in the rain

Hey, hey good lookin

Those were the days

In 1814 we took a little trip

This is the big Bopper speakn

Hot rod Lincoln

Ghost Riders

Way to many favorite songs to list that are stuck in my memory that I can sing along to, Barb keeps asking me, "How can you remember all the words to all those songs?"

One that comes to mind...."Seven Spanish Angels"

When it's warm and I'm driving with my windows down I think about the song "Against the Wind", not my favorite by a long shot but it just comes to mind with the warm weather. Weird.

10 hours ago, twelve mile REB said:

Hey, hey good lookin

Those were the days

In 1814 we took a little trip

This is the big Bopper speakn

Hot rod Lincoln

Ghost Riders

12-Mile,

"In 1814 we took a little trip", is actually titled 'Battle of New Orleans' by Johnny Horton.

The same artist who sang 'Sink the Bismarck'.

..........Widder

Several by Hank Jr.

Hmmm, too many to list.

;)

"If I Could Only Win Your Love", as recorded by Emmylou Harris.  Her harmonizing with Rodney Crowell was a treat for the ears and heart.  Originally an old Louvin Brothers song.

4 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

When it's warm and I'm driving with my windows down I think about the song "Against the Wind", not my favorite by a long shot but it just comes to mind with the warm weather. Weird.

Kind of funny you say that. Sometimes the thunderstorms wake me up at night and I immediately think of "Night Moves" by Bob Seger. "Woke last night to the sound of thunder. How far off, I sat and wondered....."

ADDED:
I have to admit that I am terrible about remembering song lyrics.  The only "song" that I can really claim to know by heart is Psalm 50 (Septuagint numbering, I think it is 51 in the Masoretic text), and can chant it without seeing the words.  

Well, that and the Paschal Troparion:

Χριστὸς ἀνέστη ἐκ νεκρῶν,
θανάτῳ θάνατον πατήσας,
καὶ τοῖς ἐν τοῖς μνήμασι,
ζωὴν χαρισάμενος!

Хс҄рсто́съ воскре́се ᾿изˈ ме́ртвыхъ, сме́ртїю сме́рть попра́въ, ᾿и су́щимъ во гробѣ́хъ Живо́тъ дарова́въ.

Christ is risen from the dead,
trampling down death by death,
and on those in the tombs bestowing life!

2 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

Kind of funny you say that. Sometimes the thunderstorms wake me up at night and I immediately think of "Night Moves" by Bob Seger. "Woke last night to the sound of thunder. How far off, I sat and wondered....."

"Started humming a song from 1962

Ain't it funny how the night moves..."

Despite it's overuse in Chevrolet commercials, I also like "Like a Rock."

"Twenty years now,

Where'd they go?

Twenty years,

I don't know..."

I think that the reason some songs are seared into out minds is that we associate them with something in our lives that was significant enough to remember the song that was popular(to us) at the time. Some for happy times and some for not so happy times. Some bring back bittersweet memories of a love lost, some of a love found. Amazing thing, the mind. Remembers all of the good times and forgets the hard times....until that song rolls around.

6 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

12-Mile,

"In 1814 we took a little trip", is actually titled 'Battle of New Orleans' by Johnny Horton.

The same artist who sang 'Sink the Bismarck'.

..........Widder

Yes , Widder I know however the OP asked about lyrics or at least that's what I thought it asked for rather than title and singer.  Now, however after thought the song that effects me the strongest is  "The Star Spangled Banner"   Why?  Because as it plays I see in my mind those Continentals facing the terrible British squares.  I see a nation at war with itself and the bodies after the grape slashed though the line.  I see those men struggling up San Juan Hill.  I see those Dough Boys up and over the top and hear the machine guns rattle.  I see the flag on the mountains crest as Marines struggle to secure it.  I see the blood spilled at Normandy the frozen limbs at Chosen.  I see those that struggled in the rice paddies and the jungles, the flares, the artillery brought in close.  I see those that fought in a thousand different places in the twenty years war.  Yes, that's the song that does something to me deep inside.  So **** You Kapernic because those men where red, yellow, black and white but mostly they were red, white and blue.

14 hours ago, Arizona Gunfighter said:

Way to many favorite songs to list that are stuck in my memory that I can sing along to, Barb keeps asking me, "How can you remember all the words to all those songs?"

My wife says the same thing to me about old songs and old radio programs.  You see, she was born after WWII, and I'm a war baby, so I was old enough to remember Jack Benny, The Great Gildersleeve,  The Fred Allen Show, The Lone Ranger (radio, with Brace Beemer as the Ranger). 

Songs: Roll Around Heaven All Day, Mule Train, Coming In On a Wing and a Prayer; Praise the Lord and Pass The Ammunition; later,The Kingston Trio...many songs, Peter, Paul & Mary, same; John Denver, of course; The Gambler by Kenny Rogers; and many, many more! 

5 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

I think that the reason some songs are seared into out minds is that we associate them with something in our lives that was significant enough to remember the song that was popular(to us) at the time. Some for happy times and some for not so happy times. Some bring back bittersweet memories of a love lost, some of a love found. Amazing thing, the mind. Remembers all of the good times and forgets the hard times....until that song rolls around.

You are so right.

"Since I've Been Loving You," by Led Zeppelin, is my favorite tune by my favorite band. I couldn't listen to it for years, because it reminded me far too much of the first "great love" of my life and all that went wrong. On certain occasions, it can still bring back powerful memories.

I love Christmas songs, and choir music in general. There are times when certain songs are played, or when I hear certain songs from my choir days in high school, that I get incredibly melancholy, and have to turn it off, because of the memory of one of my dearest friends, my ensemble partner, Mary Hughes. She was a kind and gentle person, more so than all but a very few I can recall. We were so close that when the ensemble would perform out, people often thought we were an item, despite the fact we weren't. She was serving as a college administrator and was murdered in her office.

On the brighter side, songs like "Moondance" and "Tupelo Honey" by Van Morrison, or "Our House" by Crosby, Stills and Nash make me recall being in AIT and listening to the mix tape (remember those?) that Mrs. Doc made for me, and working my tail off to be successful and get back to her.

I was in Fairborn, near Wright-Patterson AFB late last summer and heard "Retreat" begin to play, and in my mind I was transported back to those days in Basic Training at Ft. Knox.

Archived