SASS Wire Forum

Long Range and elbow rest

Dungannon Gunner

Can someone point to a specific rule or guideline that states non-mechanical elbow rest are/or not allowed? For instance. A ok to use hand as a rest or no, B ok to use a sand bag for rest or no?

Thanks again!!

6 minutes ago, Dungannon Gunner said:

Can someone point to a specific rule or guideline that states non-mechanical elbow rest are/or not allowed? For instance. A ok to use hand as a rest or no, B ok to use a sand bag for rest or no?

Thanks again!!

Better off using a 'pot-holder' than a sandbag ;)

OLG 

8 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Better off using a 'pot-holder' than a sandbag ;)

OLG 

Agree, however is a sandbag legal?

The types of support for long range matches is basically up to the individual match. I have seen everything from giant bench type sticks staked to the ground to normal cross sticks to all kinds of things provided by the match and the shooter. Usually about anything not outrageous is allowed. As  for things like sand bags I have never heard of them not being allowed.

4 minutes ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

Ask the Match Director.

That actually answers my question. "Match director's option" I was somewhat challenged by a well-meaning participant on this when I allowed a small rest to be used and I wanted to double check my opinion.

40 minutes ago, Dungannon Gunner said:

That actually answers my question. "Match director's option" I was somewhat challenged by a well-meaning participant on this when I allowed a small rest to be used and I wanted to double check my opinion.

Always have the rule book handy. When challenged ask the competitor where they looked it up in the book.

6 minutes ago, Zeb Gray, #36839 said:

At my matches, cross sticks allowed for front rest & no artificial object for the rear support.  Most shoot seated (the range is not conducive for the prone position) with elbows resting on knees for rear support. 

Please where is this referenced about NO rear rest? Strike that,, this is what you do which is 100% correct just not SASS regulated

52 minutes ago, Michigan Slim said:

We shoot all our long range standing and no resting at Paradise Pass out to approximately 300 yards. 

IMG_20200307_145207114.jpg

How does off-hand long range follow the intent of the long range guideline as stated in the rule book?  

"LONG RANGE (OR PRECISION) RIFLE SASS long range or precision rifle competition is different than main match              rifle competition with more emphasis placed on precision shooting at longer ranges, with time being a

secondary scoring factor."

I don't see where there is much, if any, emphasis is placed on precision shooting.  Your match looks more like a main match but just shot at longer distances.  

From the NRA BPCR rule book, 

5.3 Position of Rifle Butt - In the standing, sitting, kneeling and prone positions only, the butt of the rifle must be held against the front of the shoulder on the outside of the shooting coat or shirt and must not touch the ground. 5.4 - Blank 5.5 Prone - Body extended on the ground, head toward the target. The rifle will be supported by both hands and one shoulder only. No portion of the hand shall rest upon the ground or any artificial support, nor may any portion of the rifle or body rest against any artificial support. 5.5.1 Prone with Crossed Sticks - Body extended on the ground, head toward the target. In addition to the crossed sticks, the rifle may be supported by both hands and one shoulder. While firing with crossed sticks, the shooter’s hand may support the butt of the rifle, but may not touch the ground or mat and the rifle at the same time. 2020 NRA BLACK POWDER TARGET RIFLE RULEBOOK ■ 11 5.5.2 WHRSA Prone - Body extended on the ground, head toward the target. The non trigger hand must be placed between the rifle and any support, such as crossed sticks. A sling may be used with a wrist rest if desired. 5.6 Kneeling with Crossed Sticks - Buttocks clear of the ground, but may rest on one foot. In addition to the crossed sticks, the rifle may be supported by one or both hands and one shoulder only. The arm supporting the rifle may rest on the knee or leg. The elbow of the trigger arm will be free from all support. One knee must be touching the ground. At the shooter’s option, one hand may be used to hold the rifle in the “v” of the crossed sticks. (See Rule 5.2.) A kneeling roll as described in Rule 3.14.1 may be used. 5.7 Sitting with Crossed Sticks - Weight of the body supported on the buttocks and the feet or ankles, no other portion of the body touching the ground. In addition to the crossed sticks, the rifle may be supported by one or both hands and one shoulder only. Arms may rest on the legs at any point above the ankles. At the shooter’s option, one hand may be used to hold the rifle in the “v” of the crossed sticks. (See Rule 5.2.) 

1 hour ago, Clyde Henry 7046 said:

How does off-hand long range follow the intent of the long range guideline as stated in the rule book?  

"LONG RANGE (OR PRECISION) RIFLE SASS long range or precision rifle competition is different than main match              rifle competition with more emphasis placed on precision shooting at longer ranges, with time being a

secondary scoring factor."

I don't see where there is much, if any, emphasis is placed on precision shooting.  Your match looks more like a main match but just shot at longer distances.  

Because we like it. We have done the "precision" shooting and it wasn't popular. Ringing the buffalo offhand is a challenge -and we like it. Ringing 18" disc plates from 90 to 300 yards offhand is a hoot. 

We have 3 shooting styles for our long range.  Shooting style competes against shooters in same shooting style.  The styles are benched sand bags, sticks and offhand.  We don't have a big turn out for long range match.  Primarily our older club members that can't shoot a fast paced cowboy match any longer but still love to shoot.  We don't give awards for any of our monthly matches so having several long range shooting styles doesn't cost the club anything.

Dungannon, as you know NAR runs long range pistols and repeaters (rapid fire) offhand where time is the tie breaker. Single shot rifles and slow fire, single loaded repeaters (pistol caliber) we provide a front rest and sandbag (you may use your own bench sticks if you wish). Rear rests or bags are not allowed but your elbow on the table is okay. Tie breaker for the single shot and slow fire is shoulder to shoulder offhand. The ground at our firing point is not stick friendly so we currently do not bother trying to use them, this may change with our new land owners and upgrades.

For the curious, we shoot pistol calibers at 100 yards and allow repeaters to be single loaded and shot from the bench as pistol caliber single shot rifles are not common. Rifle calibers are shot at 200 yards.

Archived