SASS Wire Forum

Win. Mod. '97 with Vent Rib, is it legal for SASS?

Through a trade I picked up a Winchester model 1897 Black Diamond Trap gun.  At some point in it's life I believe it was sent to Simmons and a vent rib was attached to the 30" barrel.  It was  a professional job.  My question, could this shotgun be used for cowboy action shooting with a vent rib that has been added to the barrel?  I read through the shooters handbook and didn't see "vent rib" mentioned, but is this one of the additional modifications that is not allowed?  Thanks for reading and your responses.

Buckeye Pete

Any external mod not listed in the handbook as being allowed is not legal. Upon further looking at the rule book myself, I find this listed on page 35.

"Ventilated ribs and mid-barrel beads are allowed on all types of shotguns."

Has been asked and answered about Wild Bunch 97s - Yes, a vent rib was an option from factory and was ruled legal for Wild Bunch, so I would expect same rule to apply for Cowboy.

Good luck, GJ

YeeeeeHaaaaw!  Thank you to all for reading and responding to my question.   I need to go back and re-read the book.  Thanks again!

Buckeye Pete

Update:  I found the reference provided under firearm covenants, subtitle barrel on page 35 of the on line shooters handbook.  I was looking under "shotgun requirements" and missed the reference.   Thanks!

BP

Archived