SASS Wire Forum

Message from the ROC

Blackjack Zak

Hello to All!

As the new Chairman of the ROC, I wanted to first thank Virgil Earp for his long and distinguished service as our Chairman.  Virgil has been a tower of common sense, and one of the long time keepers our the SASS "Old West" collective conscience.  He has been a true inspirational leader in our community, and has contributed much over the years to keep our game on the right track.  We thank him for his service as Chairman, and are very grateful for him staying on the ROC to continue giving his guidance.  Virgil, my hat is off to you....you are a true Cowboy!  I have big shoes to fill, no doubt.

A quick word about the ROC, our role and process.  As many of you know, the ROC is NOT a rule making body....that role is filled by the TGs, and in very extenuating circumstances, the SASS Wild Bunch Board.  The role of the ROC is to support the evolution of the game, foster better enforcement of the rules and safety covenants as evenly as possible throughout the organization.  We are available to communicate with SASS members for the receipt and discussion of ideas, concerns, proposed improvements, and various changes or clarifications of the SASS competition rules contained in the Shooters Handbook.  We are also charged with the clarification of existing match and equipment rules. In that regard we complete an annual review of the rules and suggest edits as needed.  We volunteer as a match officials, and represent SASS and the ROC at matches attended, and are required to be a resource for members and match coordinators.  We also review and provide timely feedback on Equipment Modification applications received and distributed to the ROC by SASS HQ.  We are here for you all, and will help in any way we can.

As you can see we can be very busy at times.  When the "What's The Call" (WTC) questions come up on the SASS Wire presenting situations that have never been dealt with or considered before, Palewolf Brunelle (ROC Member and Wire Spokesman) will forwarding those questions to us by email or ROC Wire.  We then take the time to consider the questions and the details. We will discuss and email between ourselves to clarify the issue, and agree on the official ROC position.  That resolution will then be posted on that particular SASS Wire - WTC thread.  Having said that, I would ask you all for your patience with Palewolf, as he will get the answer posted as soon as possible.  This process can take time, as some of us have other commitments (work and family) that we need to prioritize.  Essentially, give us the time needed to get you a good, thoughtful and right answer.  I would rather take the time to give a "quality", as opposed to "quick", answer.

The process for rule changes takes a ground swell, and it takes time.  If clubs feel a rule should be changed, added or deleted your TG should first float the idea among your club members, then on the TG wire for discussion.  If the idea has merit, the issue can be made a TG Meeting Agenda item for further consideration and discussion.  This process takes time, and it should!  We should never move quickly to change existing rules and philosophies.....as we don't want to "tilt at windmills".  As a community we should react slowly, even to changes that are truly needed, and driven by the majority of the community...not passing fads.  We need to always do what is best for SASS and our game.

Finally I would like to inform you all that Sassy Dancer has been appointed to our committee.  She is a top shooter in her own right, and true Cowgirl who keeps the SASS vision and conscience at heart.  Her positive attitude and community spirit exudes what we value in SASS.  I am truly honored and thankful to have her on our team. 

See you all down the trail!

Congratulations and thanks for accepting  that responsibility, Zack. And congrats to Sassy Dancer for her new position!

Congrats ZAC and SASSY Dancer.  We appreciate the both of you.

• 3 weeks later...

As always another fantastic posting & congrats Zac & Sassy  &  Virgil thanks pilgrim.

Jackrabbit Joe

• 1 month later...

Is there a listing somewhere with all of the different committees and the committee members?

20 hours ago, Lone Rider, SASS# 73063 said:

Is there a listing somewhere with all of the different committees and the committee members?

Scroll down below the lists of RO Instructors:

Join

SASS 2019-2020 Certified RO Instructors by Region- USA

There is currently only one standing committee:

SASS RANGE OPERATIONS COMMITTEE (ROC)

Archived