SASS Wire Forum

AGI Cowboy Action Armorers Course

Turkey Flats Jack

Has anyone done this? I'm not looking to set up shop to start a business or anything. I do most of my own smith work but there are things that are beyond my current skill set. Most of my skill set has been learned here on the wire. It seems kind of pricey at $600 but once you figure in how much you'd spend just getting your 4 main match guns ready to roll at your favorite smith, it kind of seems worth it. 

http://184.173.102.130/app/products/view/502/Certified-Cowboy-Action-Armorers-Course

I would prefer a shipment of tools to use with each lesson.  Such as jigs, files, stones, good Gunsmith screw drivers, etc.  looks like they just packaged up there DVD’s on the appropriate subject. Probably a decent reference for the average guy.   Way over priced in my opinion.

9 minutes ago, Turkey Flats Jack said:

Would you say the information in that package is worth the money? 

I'd do it if I were about 40 yrs younger.

It's worth a phone call. See what you can find about AGI on the net.

@Yusta B. Oh I see you were just saying they have that bundle. I misunderstood and thought you were saying you have it. but yes that's a much more realistic price.  The only difference that i'm seeing is in the cheaper package it only covers the basics of dis/assembly, maintaining, and repairing OEM problems. The armorers course covers how to tune or set up for speed and the such. 

2 hours ago, Flanigan Flats said:

I would prefer a shipment of tools to use with each lesson.  Such as jigs, files, stones, good Gunsmith screw drivers, etc.  

Would you be willing to pay the probably $2500 price for those tools?   :o

Good luck, GJ

1 hour ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

Would you be willing to pay the probably $2500 price for those tools?   :o

Good luck, GJ

Yes. If they were quality tools and well laid out lessons that gave some instructions on the proper use of the tools.  And of course it would have to be covered under the GI Bill. 

20 minutes ago, Flanigan Flats said:

Yes. If they were quality tools and well laid out lessons that gave some instructions on the proper use of the tools.  And of course it would have to be covered under the GI Bill. 

No clue if the DVD course is covered by the gi Bill but pretty sure there's some gunsmith schools that are. 

Yes, Sonoran Desert Institute (SDI) has gunsmith courses covered by the GI Bill.  The AGI DVDs are not. 

I assume because of the lack of graded content such as quizzes and exams.  

SDI while not great does provide some tools and lessons that have scored end of lessons quizzes for lack of a better description. 

the last time I checked they didn’t have any specific cowboy courses. 

They do offer a 1911 Armorers course where you finish an aluminum 80% receiver and then install the supplied parts to end up with a completed 9mm 1911.  They provide most of the tools and all the parts in the course. It is pricey as well but you end up with something and get hands on learning. 

Or course, Hands-on instructional courses are where conventional gunsmithing is often learned. 

It is even better to "apprentice" with a gunsmith of your choice and learn by doing.  Finding one who will take on an apprentice is hard, but CAN be done (like, with a long hunt).

Good luck, GJ

I like the AGI video courses.  I believe AGI to be a legitimate company with good products.  I’d prefer to buy my tools as I need them, but the AGI package deal is likely just fine.   Personally, I trust AGI and I think their instructional videos are excellent.  I believe them to be legitimate.  I believe their people have (may still) taught gun smithing at university and community college levels and that their certification training is genuinely recognized.

I think that their (“mail order courses”) videos qualify for various government-paid training, especially their “certified” training.  Call AGI and discuss with them, then discuss such training with your training provider (whoever pays the bill).  Keep calling both until you get all your questions answered.  Then tie AGI to the training provider.

There might be, but I only know for sure of one, trained and “certified” CAS gunsmith...someone who knows guns in a universal sense.

Cat Brules

12 to 15 years ago i purchased the agi winchester 97 video. the instructor specialized in boring me to sleep. the instruction was slow, tedious, and other than show how to dis assemble, remove and replace parts, it gave no instruction on doing any "action" work. unlike some others that have used them and liked them, I did not. 

i agree with garrison joe. the best way is thru an apprentiship.

i was extremely fortunate to find a mentor to teach me the fine points of the 97 and i beleive this is the best way to become aware of how to remedy problems.  

22 hours ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

Or course, Hands-on instructional courses are where conventional gunsmithing is often learned. 

It is even better to "apprentice" with a gunsmith of your choice and learn by doing.  Finding one who will take on an apprentice is hard, but CAN be done (like, with a long hunt).

Good luck, GJ

The best Apprenticeship is with a bluing/ gun refinishing operation. You will  get a broad base of knowledge dis and re assembling. You won't have much in tools, either.

Gunsmithing is not that complicated but you do need the proper tools. If you try to shade tree it, it's probably going to look it.

This reminds me of the conversation I've had a few times with folks wanting to become gunsmiths. My answer has always been,
"You can buy the books, buy the tools and go to the schools. But, the reality is it is a series of expensive mistakes you hope to never repeat" 

:blink:

On 3/8/2020 at 10:35 PM, Turkey Flats Jack said:

No clue if the DVD course is covered by the gi Bill but pretty sure there's some gunsmith schools that are. 

The GI Bill payed for my schooling. I went to the Pennsylvania gunsmith school.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/9/2020 at 1:57 AM, Cat Brules said:

I like the AGI video courses.  I believe AGI to be a legitimate company with good products.  I’d prefer to buy my tools as I need them, but the AGI package deal is likely just fine.   Personally, I trust AGI and I think their instructional videos are excellent.  I believe them to be legitimate.  I believe their people have (may still) taught gun smithing at university and community college levels and that their certification training is genuinely recognized.

I think that their (“mail order courses”) videos qualify for various government-paid training, especially their “certified” training.  Call AGI and discuss with them, then discuss such training with your training provider (whoever pays the bill).  Keep calling both until you get all your questions answered.  Then tie AGI to the training provider.

There might be, but I only know for sure of one, trained and “certified” CAS gunsmith...someone who knows guns in a universal sense.

Cat Brules

AGI has legit information. I worked for Bob Dunlap when he first started filming the videos back in the late 80’s 

All the information in the DFR videos was what Bob taught at Lassen when when he was the head instructor there .

AGI was started by some former Lassen students . I don’t know who does the cowboy videos but I would guess they found 

someone more than qualified. I would think they would be great for the hobbyists. But if you wanted to do it for a living I would recommend going to a school.

Dunlap used the SAA for the basis of your education. It was the 1st semester gun , he pretty much had you ruin it to rebuild the whole thing .

I don’t know what they teach now but anyone that graduated from there when Dunlap taught “and was a decent student” would 

be good on a single action 

RMW.....I too worked for Bob!!!! Was at Lassen 77-80. Worked for Bob my last year. Gene Kelley is the student that started AGI. Was in school with him also. Sad news I found out a couple weeks ago, Bob passed in December...……Bob was the best smith I've ever known. I really started learning when I started working for him in the mornings and class in the afternoon. School gives you the basics.....you really start learning when applying those skills at a real job.

Diego

1 hour ago, Diego Kid #4631 said:

RMW.....I too worked for Bob!!!! Was at Lassen 77-80. Worked for Bob my last year. Gene Kelley is the student that started AGI. Was in school with him also. Sad news I found out a couple weeks ago, Bob passed in December...……Bob was the best smith I've ever known. I really started learning when I started working for him in the mornings and class in the afternoon. School gives you the basics.....you really start learning when applying those skills at a real job.

Diego

Small world , I worked for Bob in the late 80’s early 90’s . It was a great experience. I knew about Bobs passing . One of the guys I went to school with started working at PISCO shortly after I did and never left . He owns it now . They moved PISCO to Oregon.

I worked as a gunsmith for about 10 years before I decided I wanted to move on to a more lucrative career. Although I still enjoy tinkering. I’m just starting the CAS thing . Just got 2 Pietta’s it will be like 1st semester all over again.

Did you know Bob Chavez , Lee Forsberg , Gary Boyd ? 
I only met Gene Kelly once when they had just started AGI , he seemed like a ok guy 

10 hours ago, RMW said:

Small world , I worked for Bob in the late 80’s early 90’s . It was a great experience. I knew about Bobs passing . One of the guys I went to school with started working at PISCO shortly after I did and never left . He owns it now . They moved PISCO to Oregon.

I worked as a gunsmith for about 10 years before I decided I wanted to move on to a more lucrative career. Although I still enjoy tinkering. I’m just starting the CAS thing . Just got 2 Pietta’s it will be like 1st semester all over again.

Did you know Bob Chavez , Lee Forsberg , Gary Boyd ? 
I only met Gene Kelly once when they had just started AGI , he seemed like a ok guy 

Are you talking about Ken Brooks???  I would have met him at SHOT.  That's the last time I saw Bob, a few years ago at SHOT.  I think Lee Forsberg was just coming on when I was leaving. The other two sound familiar, but not sure I ever met them.  Darrel Holland was in school when I was there also. He did some of AGI's videos. Darrel was from San Diego as I am also originally.  Left CA in 98...….and so happy where I'm at now.....and welcome to SASS. You need to join up and get yourself an alias!!!!!  Take care.....Diego

27 minutes ago, Diego Kid #4631 said:

Are you talking about Ken Brooks???  I would have met him at SHOT.  That's the last time I saw Bob, a few years ago at SHOT.  I think Lee Forsberg was just coming on when I was leaving. The other two sound familiar, but not sure I ever met them.  Darrel Holland was in school when I was there also. He did some of AGI's videos. Darrel was from San Diego as I am also originally.  Left CA in 98...….and so happy where I'm at now.....and welcome to SASS. You need to join up and get yourself an alias!!!!!  Take care.....Diego

Yep Ken owns the place now . Not sure if he’s hiring anyone or just going to be a one man show . I need to come up with a good name , nothings struck me yet . Big reason I quit working for Bob was because I wanted out of CA . It’s a shame because it’s a fantastic state geographically. Just a insane political climate 

I followed the link to the AGI “bundle”

It looks like they offer 6 videos and a screwdriver set for $265.00.

If that’s the case, YES, I believe that’s a fair deal.

These videos will teach you basic gunsmithing skills, assembly and disassembly skills.  AND, making the guns “better” for CAS is something that will flow easily from the basics.  Don’t worry about it.  The CAS “fixes” are secondary to knowing what you’re doing to begin with.

AGI videos are very good.

Cat Brules

Apprenticeship is the very best 'teacher' in this case.

I learned that back in the early 1970's. I worked under one of the very best 1911 'Smiths there will ever be.

What I learned from him, has guided me all these years in gun fix'n and tune'n.

The fact I can run a vertical mill, and a lathe, doesn't hurt either.......

Respectfully, 

OLG 

Archived