SASS Wire Forum

shotgun selection

Chicago kidd

Good morning,i have a dilemma,i have been trying to get ready to shoot sass but suffered another setback,i have a pair of vacqeros i bought a coack gun supreme dbb, have leather sill trying to get my rifle but due to having a genetic defect while installing a defibrillator in me they had to change it to my right side.so now no shooting on my right side.my question is im having a terrible time with the coach trying to open and eject the shells.would a 97 be any easier for someone going from right handed to left handed.thank you.

If you're not used to a 97 I don't see how it would be any easier than a coach gun. I'd just practice with what I'm familiar with. Good luck!;)

I don't know about the 'easier' part because we each have certain preferences, abilities, dexterities, etc.....

that determine such things.

But this I can share with you:   One of, if not the fastest on any given day, 97 shooters in our sport

is RED KNEE in Oklahoma..... and he is a Lefty.

He holds the 97 on his left shoulder and supports the SG with his left hand in the trigger guard area.

He loads with his right hand directly into the port and pumps with the right hand.

He's a 2.5 second 4 shot 'fun to watch' magician with his 97 in hand.

..........Widder

45 minutes ago, Chicago kidd said:

Good morning,i have a dilemma,i have been trying to get ready to shoot sass but suffered another setback,i have a pair of vacqeros i bought a coack gun supreme dbb, have leather sill trying to get my rifle but due to having a genetic defect while installing a defibrillator in me they had to change it to my right side.so now no shooting on my right side.my question is im having a terrible time with the coach trying to open and eject the shells.would a 97 be any easier for someone going from right handed to left handed.thank you.

Just to make sure we're on the same sheet of music, the shells shouldn't be ejecting, they should only be extracting. By that, I mean they should only be pulling back out of the chamber enough so that you can remove them manually instead of being mechanically launched rearward upon opening the action. Are you having a terrible time opening the gun because it is stiff, or is it an issue of needing practice with it? If the gun is new and stiff, it may need some tuning, either by a competent gunsmith, or by your own hand if you trust yourself to do the work. The go-to page for such things around here seems to be Marauder's page.

http://marauder.homestead.com/Shotgun.html

10 minutes ago, Chicago kidd said:

Thank you it’s new a lil stiff the problem is getting use to the lever to open I need more practice. I’ll work on that thank you for the info

When I first got my Stoeger, it felt like I needed to break it over my knee to open it. A trip to a gunsmith eased that considerably, although it still doesn't open quite as easily as I would like. I can see the challenge in getting used to opening the lever, but I'm sure some practice will fix that.

Sir 

being a southpaw , I started with double barrels , very soon I went to a 97 , what I shoot most of the time 

I had a brain fart and got an 87 , never have got that one sorted out 

I am NOT a fast shooter by any means , around 40 sec , duelist on a good day 

try before you buy , if possible 

Chickasaw 

I'm a lefty 97 shooter. It seems more natural TO ME than the double did.

I'm not all that fast, but man do I get a good laugh when I throw the round over the top and get to watch it happen. 

By the way, is eye dominance going to be an issue? 

Chicago Kidd, welcome! :D

Transitioning in anything gun related is simply a matter of practice, practice, practice. ;)

I am sorry to hear about your medical issues. I can definitely relate. 

What brand / model shotgun do you have?

I have used a Stoeger, the same Stoeger, since 1998. I ‘smithed it myself. It was stiff so I cleaned up and honed all metal on metal surfaces. I polished the chambers so I could extract the shells by opening the action and quickly jerking the gun backwards so the shells would fly out. I used Winchester AA ammo because the shells are smooth vs ribbed. 

I do not think that you can reverse the top lever of a Stoeger. I do think that with practice you can trip it left handed if you have the spring tension reduced. 

Personally, I don’t care care for the 97 for CAS. To much dance for the music for me. Since you already have the SxS I would try practicing with it, unless you can get a good deal in a trade. 

Archived