SASS Wire Forum

The Meanest Good Guy Who Ever Lived

Sedalia Dave

John Horton Slaughter

Civil War veteran, Texas Ranger, trail-driver, cattle-king and, finally, sheriff, distinguished Arizona state representative and professional gambler. A symbol of the Old West.

Slaughter imposed law and order with his six-shooter, repeating shotgun and Henry rifle when he wasn't seated at an all-night poker game. Ideally suited to live in one of the toughest eras in the history of the American frontier, John Slaughter, more than any other single individual, cleaned up Arizona Territory, encouraging apprehensive congressmen to vote for its admission to the Union. Among those who admired his guns and courage were Wild Bill Hickok, Ben Thompson, Wyatt Earp, Big Foot Wallace, King Fisher, Sam Bass, Billy the Kid and Pat Garrett.

Read more: https://www.desertusa.com/desert-people/john-slaughter-lawman.html#ixzz6G39N39vn

John Slaughter

I’ve read some stories about him in True West and Wild West magazines. Tough dude!!!

20 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

John Horton Slaughter

Civil War veteran, Texas Ranger, trail-driver, cattle-king and, finally, sheriff, distinguished Arizona state representative and professional gambler. A symbol of the Old West.

Read more: https://www.desertusa.com/desert-people/john-slaughter-lawman.html#ixzz6G39N39vn

John Slaughter

Looks like a man you wouldn't want to cross.

Thanks for posting, that was one tough hombre. Like the '87 and cross draw. Gotta like a guy who can bluff a bad hand and back up a good hand. Ain't too many men like him around anymore.

Thanks for the post Dave.

Yes, I would say not a man to be trifled with. Not sure why, but when I read the title of the thread, a few people in U.S. history came to mind. 

From the old west, Capt. Jonathan Davis was the one that came to mind.

https://truewestmagazine.com/the-gang-slayer-1/

Music, please.......

Texas John Slaughter

Made’em do what they oughter,

Cuz’ if they didn’t 

They died.

Cat Brules

The part I noticed right off was his shotgun belt.  I have heard a few people comment about how nobody in the old west used a shotgun belt yet here is proof. I count eleven brass 10 gauge shells plus other cartridges I cannot make out. 

54 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

The part I noticed right off was his shotgun belt.  I have heard a few people comment about how nobody in the old west used a shotgun belt yet here is proof. I count eleven brass 10 gauge shells plus other cartridges I cannot make out. 

I noticed the belt also. At or above belly button level, rifle/pistol reloads near his right side, shells pushed down a little too far for my liking though. 

I guess that back then, they didn't have to carry the long guns to the line muzzle up. I doubt that he was awarded procedurals for hitting his targets out of order. Other than that, he matches what SASS looks like to me.:)

15 hours ago, Cat Brules said:

Music, please.......

Texas John Slaughter

Made’em do what they oughter,

Cuz’ if they didn’t 

They died.

Cat Brules

23 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

John Slaughter

If you look real close at better quality versions of that picture, you can see what type of shotgun belt that is.

Called a thimble belt, with brass holders, like this one I have.  They originally had suspenders to help hold them up.

001.JPG.bc20cf8de96bc2e4f1eff5fcf3c1989c.JPG011.JPG.3b105ef1e9f94eef4cfd95051f6191e1.JPG

Geronimo's band left him alone.

Couple of Geronimo's warriors killed one of his cows.

John hunted them down and killed them, then told Geronimo that if he wanted any beef, he could ask and John would give it to them, if they killed any more, he would kill them also.

10 hours ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

Yeah....but a bow tie???? :D

LL

What's the matter with bow ties? This guy didn't seem to have a problem with them. He was known to be a bit of a tough guy himself at one point.

940b4a6f1b6f21af63e6fa548faafe57.jpg.6bd3c2b07fa7a390577a1a4f945ce3d4.jpg

Archived