SASS Wire Forum

Crimping paper hulls

Have you checked the crimp forming station on your loader for the correct die? I think paper hulls have a six point crimp instead of eight.

Lucky

Someplace I have a very old paper case heater.  It is an aluminum shaft, the shape of a test tube, mounted on a heavy base, with an electrical resistance heating wire enclosed.  It gets very hot for reconstituting the wax in paper cases.  As I recall, it also filled the room with smoke from burnt wax.  But after use, the cases were like new.   

A person could make one  simply from a piece of correct size aluminum or copper tubing, rounded at the end, mounted over an old soldering iron, or you could  just gently heat a solid metal shaft with a propane torch.  Somebody might still sell them, also.  

2 hours ago, Sgt. Hochbauer, SASS #64409 said:

... crimping paper hulls...

I use a Lee Load All, having fixed 6 and 8 point crimp starters.  When I loaded BP with crimps, I matched the original crimp pattern, even positioning hull so the starter would approximately touch in the original folds.  You should have same result with MEC crimp starter.

UNLESS:

- MEC isn't adjusted right (as per Lucky).

- Your once-fired paper hulls aren't made for crimping.  

- Is your wad column too big? Paper is slight less forgiving than plastic.

Modern Federal or any old factory star crimped worked well for me. (Given undamaged once-fired hulls.)  I had trouble trying to crimp formerly roll crimped hulls.  

Are these new, uncrimped hulls?  Roll crimped?

I no longer roll or star crimp BP shells. I cut off crimp, glue in over shot card.

1 hour ago, Cusz M. Dutch SASS Life 55326 said:

Use to put them on a cookie sheet in the oven at low temp for a while.  This would cause the wax to move back into the crimp area.

I had hulls which were swollen, not wet, just room air moisture. After time in "low heat" oven, they reloaded and chambered nicely.  The heads would pull off when attempting to extract fired hull!  Fun to have happen during a match!  Wax helps to keep the tube and head one piece.  Be careful of heat.

never had an issue with crimping them , i loved the idea of shooting the old paper , i loaded a lot of them -still have a lot , but i think they take on moisture - i have had an issue shucking them , not at first just after prolonged storage , ill shoot up what i loaded but im going to stick with plastic hulls in the future just to simplify life 

Archived