SASS Wire Forum

Which internet browser is best?

Kid Rich

Firefox and Brave are good. They block ads by default and have multiple options regarding privacy. Some sites may not work properly due to restrictions on cookies, but you can manually take down "shields" to allow their use. I do this on SSA site and my banking sites for example. I also use DuckDuckGo as a search engine. It's no problem adding these browsers or search engines, just name your defaults in your system. I'm assuming you are talking about PCs because I have no MAC experience.

Google is not your friend and MS also harvests your data, which is my primary reason for using other products. It is hard to be vigilant even on phones because of their insidious intent to be actively present everywhere.

Look them up and check their features, they are constantly updating and improving their products for making a good customer experience rather than some neferious purpose or market dominance.

I'm no expert, but these products work for me.

What platform are you using, MAC, Windows, Linux?  Also, is this for a new computer or an older one?  That will make a difference on recommendations.

I run Firefox, and keep IE around for those sites where the code just won't work unless it's in IE. (Used to be a bigger problem than it is these days... for the most part, FF handles everything well.)

I'm in the computer business, and I run a down-level version (70.0.1) of 32-bit Firefox.
You have to do a registry hack to keep FF from constantly nagging to update itself.
They removed this from the options panel, so a registry hack is now required.

I run 32-bit because it is more compatible with some web pages than the 64-bit version.
Downlevel because the current version has a really nasty Print Preview bug that splatters a given page into multiple useless and tiny segments.
I use PDF24 to "print" pages to PDF for my reference libraries.

Firefox is well adapted to AdBlockPlus which I use constantly to reduce the bombardment of ads from web sites.
Firefox bookmarks are easily backed up to a .JSON file of your choosing and location.
Chrome, you have to dig for them.

The Microsoft browsers have been a joke since their inception.
They were notorious for deviating from internet standards, into the land of Microsoft Proprietary.
Some websites were specifically written to account for the foibles of IE6 a long time ago.

I prefer Pale Moon.  Its a fork of Firefox before they made all the horrible UI changes and restrictions.  I also encourage everyone to look into the disconnect and NoScript add ons to help maintain a little bit of their privacy online.   

Brave for the browser - looks like Chrome but without the google data gathering and has privacy settings Chrome doesn't - also can automatically transfer all your bookmarks.

For search DuckDuckGo.

6 hours ago, Hillbilly Drifter said:

being a Mac user, Safari is my browser of choice. Firefox is my back up.

I have a Mac and I use Chrome, I had some trouble with Safari but I use it on my phone!

10 hours ago, Yellowhouse Sam # 25171 said:

Since Google is pretty nosy do we need to find email other than Gmail?

Yes.

IMO, Google offerings are a PITA.

I spent a few hours on the phone with a friend today.
Her Microsoft Outlook client would no longer connect to Google Gmail.

This is a nightmare, because Outlook is not compliant with Gmail's IMAP security protocols (typical Microsoft).
One has to decrease Gmail security to allow Outlook to connect with a funky Gmail generated password.
This appears to have broken her existing email connection using her Android phone.

I am SO damned glad I'm retired.

20 hours ago, Kid Rich said:

Ginger, black cherry and we are going to be in Prescott tomorrow night Forty. You want to meet somewhere for dinner? Or would you rather meet with the Cowboys after the shoot on Sunday?

kR

Gonna have to pass this time, but thanks. A good friend broke a hip last night and I've got to help out.

Let me know next time you're in town or the vicinity.

If you like Mexican food there's Casa Perez a block north of the 69A in the Fry's parking lot.  Makes the best shredded beef flautas I've tasted in years

Archived