SASS Wire Forum

Question for Real Black Powder Shooters

I've shot real black powder in my shotgun for years, but have always loaded my shotshells on a single stage machine.  

First a Lee LoadAll, and, for the last 20 years, a MEC SizeMaster.

I am going to my first progressive, a MEC Grabber, so I have a rookie question to ask, that I think I know the answer to:

I assume y'all put real black powder in the powder bottle -- It is safe, correct?

I scooped it with the SizeMaster, and still do with metallic loads, but it seems that with the grabber, I will use the powder bottle.

Any precautions?

I've never felt really comfortable with 1/2 pound of black in front of my face, but.......

Thanks, in advance, for your responses.

--Dawg 

I don't usually load the real thing in my Grabber but do load plenty of bp subs. The only thing I did was wipe the bottle down inside and out with a dryer sheet and that eliminated any static electricity.

I have always used real BP in my SG & always used a 600 jr & plastic bottles or Loadall. Note: I have always reloaded on a concrete or ceramic tile floor. Worked for about 14 years .....

Hey Dawg

i have always loaded BP on my Mec 9000 for 15 plus years. I did switch out the hopper with a empty pepsi bottle with the bottom cut off.   The threads fit perfect and if something should ever go wrong there is no place for pressure to build.   I also use about a1/4 pound at a time. It’s a bit more refilling but again better safe than sorry.  Not saying it’s right but it’s what I do.   

Best regards

Chili

I have a Lyman BP measure set up separate from my MEC Sizemaster press and dump powder between priming station and wad/shot/powder station. I'm not familiar with the Grabber but if it uses the same sliding powder drop like the other MEC presses I would not use the bottle on the press and keep doing it separately; but that's just me being over precautious.

I don't use the plastic hopper on my MEC for black powder, mostly because I'm too lazy.  The adjustable powder bar is set up to load smokeless for my bride and I don't like to fool with it.  I use an RCBS powder measure (including it's plastic hopper) to drop BP in metallic cartridges and shotgun shells.

I'm still loading brass shotgun hulls on a single stage. However I do use the plastic hoppers on my pistol/rifle presses to run my bp loads. I wipe the inside with a fresh dryer sheet before each session and I do have a ground wire attached to the press and running to a dedicated ground rod outside. I'm on a concrete floor also so no worries about static from a carpet etc. No clue if it's right or wrong but it's working for me. 

I used real BP in a 600 jr & plastic bottles for the 4 years I loaded smoky shells.   Never a problem.   I made sure to throw away any of that powder that spilled or fell on the bench, not recycling it, to avoid putting sand grains thru the measure.    Not grounded  -   I firmly believe from the testing I've seen done that static cannot discharge BP.

Good luck, GJ

5 minutes ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

I used real BP in a 600 jr & plastic bottles for the 4 years I loaded smoky shells.   Never a problem.   I made sure to throw away any of that powder that spilled or fell on the bench, not recycling it, to avoid putting sand grains thru the measure.    Not grounded  -   I firmly believe from the testing I've seen done that static cannot discharge BP.

Good luck, GJ

Agree about discharge. 

The static cling reduction goes a long way in the consistency of the powder 'drop'.

I had all my presses grounded when I lived in the Mojave Desert. 

OLG 

My loading bench is separate but between a water heater and an electrical panel.  I often have cell phone within 6-8' playing oldies or classical music.

I spoon all loads since electronics/electrical is a silent, unseen force.  I just play it safe.

:FlagAm:I have used a Hornady 366 progressive press for years now loading BP.  The only change I made was to replace the plastic powder tube with a piece of stainless pipe the same OD and cut to same length.  I have done the same with the Dillon 550 tool heads I load BP with.

Chas B:ph34r:

I load subs in my MEC Jr. but I have always tucked a used bounce dryer sheet tucked in under the lid of the powder bottle to eliminate static cling on all my MEC loaders for both Black subs and smokeless powders.

12 hours ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

Good luck, GJ

Yep, been using Mec Grabber-600 jr, Hornady LNL-AP, Lee Classic Turret all with plastic for 15+ years. Good Luck:)

Used Mec jr's for 15 years and used the plastic bottles, and have now switched to a  Texan progressive about 6 months ago. No problem with either of them. Just don't leave the powder in them after you are done, it can jam up/corrode your powder measure.

Reload BP shot shells with the progressive MEC 650.  Put a cut 20ga hull in the empty powder charge bar hole that drops 75gr of powder for 12ga shells

I started shooting BP in CAS in 1986... I've loaded all my own BP shotshells on a MEC 600Jr. and all my rifle, the pistol ammo on a Dillon 550B, using the powder measures as installed and designed with each piece of equipment.  The only result is that the plastic has turned quite dark... I've washed 'em out, and they stay dark...   Fear what you want, I won't try to disavow you of yours fears... we each have so little we can call our own! :P

Archived