SASS Wire Forum

Uberti 1873 in 44 Magnum

bgavin

Idle curiosity:  does anybody have experience with the Uberti 1873 in 44 mag?

The only downside I see right away is the 9+1 capacity, rather than a full 10 in the magazine tube.
Winchester/Miroku made their Trails End Octagon in 44 mag, everything I wanted.. except 1894 action, but that model is out of production now.

Bought my son the Uberti 19" carbine in 44 mag last year. Holds 10 full length 44m in the magazine. Works great, is the smoothest Uberti 73 out of the box I have ever used. Recently put a short stroke kit in it, will find out this weekend how it works.

1 hour ago, bgavin said:

Idle curiosity:  does anybody have experience with the Uberti 1873 in 44 mag?

The only downside I see right away is the 9+1 capacity, rather than a full 10 in the magazine tube.
Winchester/Miroku made their Trails End Octagon in 44 mag, everything I wanted.. except 1894 action, but that model is out of production now.

The mag limitation alone seems like a really major thing, if CAS is the purpose of the gun.   

How is it possible that the Uberti Carbine 19 inch barrel 45 Colt can hold 10+1 with a COAL of 1.6 inches yet a 44 Magnum 19 inch barrel only holds 9+1 with a COAL of 1.61 inches? Answer: they both hold 10+1, the data is wrong.

Carbine.GIF

2 minutes ago, bgavin said:

This is very interesting indeed... as you point out the 9+1 is illegal for SASS.

What makes it illegal for SASS?

8 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

What makes it illegal for SASS?

I think he means the +1 (round chambered) is illegal.  Obviously any rifle can be topped off on the clock if needed.

Uberti has been specifying odd capacities for their long guns for a good while, not sure why.  Even my 16" trapper '73 holds ten full-length .45 Colts (with its hollow end cap and special spring), although it is hard as @#%^@# to get the last one in there and straightened on the carrier, so I've switched to shooting Schofields in it.

With 9+1, SASS rules do not allow one in the chamber.

45C and 44M are both COL=1.600"
44SP COL is 1.615"... go figure... even though the trimmed length of 44SP is 0.125" shorter than the magnum.

Apparently this needs a call to Uberti support for clarification.

Just now, bgavin said:

With 9+1, SASS rules do not allow one in the chamber.

45C and 44M are both COL=1.600"
44SP COL is 1.615"... go figure... even though the trimmed length of 44SP is 0.125" shorter than the magnum.

Apparently this needs a call to Uberti support for clarification.

OK, that makes sense; the gun itself is not illegal though. There is an option to load 9, fire at least one and then load a 10th round. Folks that shoot Spencer's have to do that.

If it is a .44 mag that you want, why not go with a Marlin, they are strong as an ox.  Granted the Uberti has the look,  but I have been carrying a Marlin 1984 for years in a scabbard on my horse and it has always been 100% for that purpose.  I carry 240 gr SJSP factory ammo in it and in my OMV 44 mag.  I'm sure the Italian rifle is a quality shooter but when shooting magnums I prefer strong as an ox.  Just thinking aloud.

You are probably carrying a JM Marlin.
The new Remlins are a huge hit-or-miss for product quality.
My 1894CB is 2019.03 production, and one of the good ones.

Remington has murdered Marlin quality.
In retrospect, I wish I had bought the Winchester or Uberti  1873, for the toggle-link action and CAS.

I also have a Marlin 1894 44 magnum. There is just no comparison in the smoothness of the toggle link vs the Marlin, plus you can short stroke the toggle link. Yes the Marlin is much stronger so if you are going to shoot above saami pressure loads, yeah the marlin is great for that.

I don't expect to get anything useful back from Uberti about this...
When time permits, please confirm your model number, and that it indeed will hold 10 rounds.

I figure I will be pushing BHN=9 pressures, i.e. 11,518 PSI, which is only 31% of SAAMI maximums.

Archived